shockzilla is offline PPO Ambassador
    Blog Entries

Shock's Movie Reviews - Speed Racer

OK, let me start this off by saying I remember NOTHING about the 60's cartoon/kid's show that this movie was supposedly based on/modeled after.

So, that said, I have to say that the Wachowski brothers have created a unique look for the movie - too bad they didn't spend as much time as they should have on the script.

Basically, this is the story of a racing family - the Racers: Pops (John Goodman), Mom (Susan Sarandon), Speed (Emile Hirsch), Rex (Scott Porter), Spritle (Paulie Litt), and Speed's girlfriend Trixie (Christina Ricci). Speed was meant to race ever since he was a kid (shown in the first few scenes, as a kid growing up dreaming of racing, not paying attention in school). The scenes of him as a boy are actually somewhat entertaining, as they show why he grew up to love racing so much.

It's when we get into the meat of the story that things begin to drag. Speed's reason for racing is in memory of his brother Rex, who died racing. Speed wants to fulfill his brother's legacy, but Pops is worried that he's only going down his brother's path, and he doesn't want to lose another son. When the
    wealthy owner of Royalton Industries tempts Speed with a lucrative offer to race for him, Speed turns him down. Only then does he begin to learn some terrible secrets about the industry.

The scenes with the owner of Royalton Industries, and Speed's subsequent turning down of the offer, are really slow. The whiz-bang look that the Wachowski brothers have put together (live-action and animation combined with exploding color schemes) makes for a fascinating look to the movie. Things FINALLY begin to pick up speed (so to speak) once Speed enters a cross-country rally called the Crucible (the same race which took his brother's life). He teams up with Trixie, former rival Racer-X (Matthew Fox), rival Taejo Togokhan (Ji Hoon Jung) and the rest of the Racer family to beat Royalton at it's own game.

Overall, I'd give the movie a C+. The look of the movie is really interesting, but sometimes the combination of speed (there's that word again!), color and camera angle gets to be rather dizzying. I'd give the visuals an A-, and the story gets a D. The acting all around is pretty good, but there's not much of a story for them to work with.

Rating: 2-1/2 out of 5 horns.

Shock
    PPO Ambassador, Defender of the Purple Faith and Guardian of the Gates of Valhalla

BadlandsVikings is offline Jersey Retired

Re: Shock's Movie Reviews - Speed Racer

How did it feel to be the only one in the theater?

shockzilla is offline PPO Ambassador
    Blog Entries

Oh, yeah - I went to the 9:15 PM show on a Saturday night - and I was the ONLY ONE in the theater!

PPO Ambassador, Defender of the Purple Faith and Guardian of the Gates of Valhalla

Mikecarter81 is offline Coordinator

Yes because all of the people who went the night before were recovering from a seizure!

Mike
    I am an avid Viking fan, but also am an avid restoration guy of vintage Mopar(Chrysler, Dodge, Plymouth)B bodies

DustinDupont is offline Team Alumni

so rent it?

digital420 is offline Team Alumni

stream'd on the net..

not sure if it's fully worth the cinema experience, i used to luv the cartoon..

DiGiTaL

"We tried to stick with it, but there was a point where we were beating our head against a wall," Seattle Coach Mora talking about running at the Williams Wall

Marrdro is offline Beware My Spreadsheet, Bitches!

Thanks Shock.
    Again, I love this idea for a thread.

Based on your observations and what I can tell from the trailers, I think I will wait for it to come out on disc.
    Many many thanks to my talented friend Jos for the new Sig.http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v343/josdin00/Vikings/Marrdro_sig.jpg

marstc09 is offline Jersey Retired

The look of the movie is really interesting, but sometimes the combination of speed (there's that word again!), color and camera angle gets to be rather dizzying.
    Sort of like the movie Cloverfield.

SKOL is offline Ring of Fame

"digital420" wrote:
    stream'd on the net..

not sure if it's fully worth the cinema experience, i used to luv the cartoon..

DiGiTaL
    How do you do that?

The true measure of a man is how he treats someone who can do him absolutely no good -Samuel Johnson - lexicographer
    The word genius isn t applicable in football. A genius is a guy like Norman Einstein - Joe Theisman

I went and saw it with my 3 year old who is an extreme racing fanatic. I used to watch the cartoon and recently bought the old stuff on DVD for my kid to watch (he now loves Speed Racer). So with both of us being familiar with the old cartoon, we went and saw it on an IMAX screen here in town (with about 3 other people in the audience on a Monday afternoon) and I have to say, it is very visually pleasing. And yes, the story is a bit weak, but it is Speed Racer after all. I'm just glad we got to see it on an IMAX screen because if anything, this movie is made to be a cinema experience (or HD experience when it comes out on Blu-Ray). My kid loved it (and I thought it was pretty good too).
    Even babies know the difference.