Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    shockzilla is offline PPO Ambassador
    Blog Entries

Shock's Movie Reviews - "Land Of The Lost"

Well, the first thing I can say about "Land Of The Lost" is, if you like Will Ferrell, you'll love this movie. In case you didn't know (or are not as OLD as I am), it's based on a goofy, cheap-looking 1970's kid show by the same name. However, this "Land Of The Lost" is like the old show, but on LSD. Which is to say it's WAY over the top, and played for broad laughs.

The premise of the old show was that explorer Rick Marshall and his son Will and daughter Holly were trapped in an alternate universe with dinosaurs, lizard-like Sleestacks, and another primitive man-child named Chaka. They spent all their time trying to survive in the jungle, and trying to get back home.

In the movie, Will Ferrell plays Rick, and Anna Friel plays Holly, a former student and ardent admirer of Rick's. Danny McBride plays Will Stanton, proprietor of a roadside attraction where Rick and Holly go to test Rick's time-machine, the "tachyon amplifier". In the process of riding on a "tunnel of love"-type ride at the roadside attraction, the three of them are sent reeling into another dimension.

The alternate dimension they end up in, full of dinosaurs, Vikings longboats, and roadside gas stations in the middle of the desert, is like Disneyland on ludes - fantastical, weird and bizarre. And Will Ferrell plays his usualt pompous self, to hilarious effect. What makes the movie so funny is that Ferrell plays Rick Marshall completely straight, while at the same time broadly funny. He really believes in his half-cocked theories, and so do we, eventually.

The humor in the movie is totally Will Ferrell - many times making an ass out of himself, and at the same time making us laugh. There are some bizarre scenes, but not so bizarre as to weird anyone out. There are some really big laughs involving a mosquito, a female dinosaur, and some of the action takes place in long-focus camera shots (action taking place in the distance, rather than the foreground, which I thought was rather clever). Also, look for two hilarious sequences involving Matt Lauer and the Today Show.

The movie has several references to drugs, and there is some semi-crude sexual references (which seems odd compared to the G rating of the TV show), so it might not be a movie to take younger kids to, but it is OK for teenagers.

Because of the crude sexual references, I'm knocking the movie down a bit - it would have been just as funny without them, but overall, I enjoyed the movie a lot.

My rating: 3 out of 4.

PPO Ambassador, Defender of the Purple Faith and Guardian of the Gates of Valhalla

Garland Greene is offline Jersey Retired

Re: Shock's Movie Reviews - "Land Of The Lost"

First let me put ion a disclaimer that I think Will Ferrell is the most untalented, unfunny, overrated actor in the business today. He is a horrible actor IMHO. So when I heard he was in the movie I was very disappointed, and you could not pay me to see it. All of his movies have been horrible and unwatchable. With that being said I am only going off what others have told me about the movies and they have come from fans of movies and really like him as a actor. pretty much all of them have said this is a HORRIBLE movie.
    Even casual fans of Will who loved the show like I did growing up were very disappointing in the movie as they saw the potential for a great Summer blockbuster as a edge of your seat action adventure especially with the potential to do it right with today's CGI.
    Rumor has it that originally that ws what it was supposed to be. But they scrapped that idea for the new concept.
    Since i have not seen it and am only going on what others have told me, I cannot give it a rating, I only hope that they figure out that they f'ed up by making it this way and redo it in a good way

Blog Entries

If you didn't see it, how can you judge? Keep in mind that the creators of the show, Sid and Marty Croft, were PRODUCERS on the movie. Obviously they had a part in it. Anyway, I respect your opinion, but we differ on this one. I considered it a silly summer movie I enjoyed and didn't care about the plot.
    PPO Ambassador, Defender of the Purple Faith and Guardian of the Gates of Valhalla

"shockzilla" wrote:
    If you didn't see it, how can you judge? Keep in mind that the creators of the show, Sid and Marty Croft, were PRODUCERS on the movie. Obviously they had a part in it. Anyway, I respect your opinion, but we differ on this one. I considered it a silly summer movie I enjoyed and didn't care about the plot.
    Like I said just going by what others have said. And they just thought it was horrible. I won't go see it because I hate Will Ferrell. So I cannotgive my own personal review, just what others have said, even peopel that like him as a actor. Which really disappointed me that he was in the movie especially since I really like all of the old shows that Sid and Marty did. The had the silly shows like Sigmund, HR Puff n Stuff. But also had some of the more serious ones like Land of the lost, Dr Shrinker, Electra Woman and Dyna Girl. Just disappointed that they put Ferrell in the movie as the lead since LOTL was probably my favorite show they did. Oh well. :P

Blog Entries

Electra Woman and Dyna Girl - that show ROCKED!!!

faninphx is offline Starter

Ehhh...I probably won't see this movie but that won't stop me from adding my $0.02
    First off, I am not a Will Ferrell fan.
    All he really does is scream and yell in his movies and LotL doesn't seem to deviate from this formula.
    He is kind of like Jack Black; very funny in small doses but terrible when carrying their own movies.
    Although, I did enjoy him in Curious George.

"shockzilla" wrote:
    Electra Woman and Dyna Girl - that show ROCKED!!!
    Yeah it was like the female version of the original Batman show.

[youtube=425,350]37pqZMTp85Q[/youtube]

"shockzilla" wrote:
    Well, the first thing I can say about "Land Of The Lost" is, if you like Will Ferrell, you'll love this movie. In case you didn't know (or are not as OLD as I am), it's based on a goofy, cheap-looking 1970's kid show by the same name. However, this "Land Of The Lost" is like the old show, but on LSD. Which is to say it's WAY over the top, and played for broad laughs.

My rating: 3 out of 4.

What do you know about being on LSD Shock?? ???

No matter how bad my life gets at least I m not a Packer fan.

Blog Entries

Nothing at all... ;D

C Mac D is offline Posting to P'own

Shock, you gotta go see The Hangover. It's hilarious.
    Disclaimer: I'm an idiot.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast