shockzilla is offline PPO Ambassador
    Blog Entries

Shock's Movie Review - "Wall-E"

Let me say first off that I am a big fan of Pixar animated films - "Cars", "Toy Story I and II", "The Incredibles", Finding Nemo", etc... So, I was looking forward to seeing this movie after having seen the trailers. I was not disappointed.

What a great piece of animation this movie is! First and foremost, it LOOKS GREAT. Some of the stuff is so realistic, you'd swear it wasn't animation. That's the one thing I've enjoyed about stuff from Pixar - the realism. Anyway, one thing to note about the first half-hour of the movie - there are no humans and there is no speaking, at least by human voices. But that doesn't matter. The writing in this movie is superb - there is a sense of humor throughout, and at the same time, as you'll also see later in the film, the movie is a message about ecology, human behavior, and one possible future of the human race.

The hero of the movie is Wall-E, a small robot about the size of a breadbox. His sole job is to scoop up trash left by people, compact it into little squares, and stack it into skyscraper-sized stacks. He spends his days compacting trash, keeping the occasional trinket of piece of memorabilia. He has a fondness for the movie "Hello Dolly", and watches it all the time. You get a sense that he enjoys what he does, but at the same time is a little lonely, although he has a cockroach companion to keep him company. He's been where he's at for 700 years - humans left the earth a mess and are cruising out in space, waiting for Wall-E and other like robots to clean up earth.

One day Eve shows up, a robot sent from the ship where the humans are, to see if organic life has started growing on earth again. Wall-E falls head over heels for Eve (he calls her "Eva"), and he longs to have a human-like relationship with her. Wall-E gives her a present - a small plant he finds and places in an old boot - and that brings the ship back for Eve, on which Wall-E hitches a ride.

Back on the "cruise" ship, people have become overweight and lazy, and they spend their time floating around on "hover-chairs", sitting in the sun all day talking to each other by phone and computer screen while sitting next to each other, and being told when and what to eat, drink and do. It is an interesting take (and a cautionary tale) on what could happen to the human race if we let ourselves become overtaken by technology.

The rest of the movie is basically the story of how Wall-E and Eve save the day and help get humans back to earth and turns their fates, and the fates of humans and earth - around. Keep in mind, however, that this is NOT a "message" movie - they don't hit you over the head with their ideals. The movie has a subtle way of getting the filmmakers' points across. This is purely entertaining, with a good story to boot.

One of the great things about this movie is that there are references to 20th and 21st-century life on earth sprinkled throughout - from Star Trek to the Love Boat, from popular culture to modern inventions. Look (or rather listen) for a reference to Microsoft that takes place several times in the movie. Let me know if you catch it, but don't give it away for everyone.
    ;D

I thoroughly enjoyed this movie, and if you have little kids who you might take to see it, there is nothing in it to make you hesitant about taking your younger kids to see it. On the contrary, it has a positive message, and is totally entertaining. It's rated G, so kids are fine to see it.

I give it my highest rating - (out of four).
    PPO Ambassador, Defender of the Purple Faith and Guardian of the Gates of Valhalla

shockzilla is offline PPO Ambassador
    Blog Entries

Re: Shock's Movie Review - "Wall-E"

Anyone besides me seen this movie yet???

;D ;D
    PPO Ambassador, Defender of the Purple Faith and Guardian of the Gates of Valhalla

"shockzilla" wrote:
    Anyone besides me seen this movie yet???

;D ;D
    Yeah, Shock I saw it this weekend.
    Loved it! ;D
    Thanks for great review, and yes I caught them plus the big one on Sams, Costco, etc..

Formo is offline Team Alumni

I, too, saw this movie.
    And I agree with you 100% Shock.

Oh, and I missed alot of the sci-fi cult references..
    =(
    Vegans are eating the rainforests. =(