Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    shockzilla is offline PPO Ambassador
    Blog Entries

Shock's Movie Review: "Star Trek"

First of all, don't worry, I'm not going to give away any of the plot.
    ;D Secondly, I went and saw it this afternoon, so the movie is still fresh in my mind.

OK, first let me say that I am indeed a fan of the shows (except maybe "Enterprise"; didn't see much of that), and the only two movies I didn't particularly care for were the last two ("Insurrection" and "Nemesis" - Nemesis' plot was pretty stupid, even for me). However, I am not a "Trekkie"; I have never been to a convention, and I don't have any props or costumes or anything like that. I just really enjoyed the shows (and movies), and how they represented my view of the world, and were a reflection of their times. I think the most important thing about Star Trek as a cultural phenomenon is the fact that Gene Roddenberry, it's creator, wanted to present an image of mankind's future as a positive place, where there is no need for war, greed or money, and the pursuit of knowledge of ourselves and the betterment of mankind as a whole would be the most important things we would strive for.

Anyway, at least now you know my view of Star Trek and what I get out of it. On to the new movie.

As you may or may not know, this is essentially an origin story, i.e., it takes place in the years where Kirk, Spock, McCoy, Scotty, Uhura, Sulu and Chekov begin their careers in Starfleet. We get to see how they were when they were young (at least Kirk and Spock, not the others), and how their upbringing affected who they are later in life. We see the story of James Kirk's father, George Kirk, and how James comes to join Star Fleet. We see the first meeting of Kirk and Spock, and how their relationship grows, how the crew comes together in battle for the first time, and how they learn to become a team.

As far as the casting goes, the producers nailed basically every character. Chris Pine as Kirk shows a mischievous side, and you see how as a young man his brashness and resistance to authority get him into real trouble. Of course, he's a ladies man (as was Shatner as the older Kirk), and you see him as he grows into the role of a leader.

Zachary Quinto was a great choice as a young Spock; he shows a larger range of emotion, and you can really see the inner conflict in him as he battles between being half Vulcan and half human.

The best casting, I thought, was Karl Urban as Leonard "Bones" McCoy. He really plays the part as if he really IS Bones: he's as gruff as DeForest Kelley was as McCoy, always seeing negative sides to things. His life up to that point that we know about would lead anyone to be like he is later in life. And of course he has a few lines that totally remind you of Bones on the old Star Trek original series.

The guy who plays Chekov, Anton Yelchin, does a great job with the thick Russian accent (better that Walter Koenig from the original series), and plays him as a bright, knowledgeable kid (he's 17 in the movie).

Simon Pegg is great also as Montgomery "Scotty" Scott. He's a genius engineer, and in the movie when we first see him, it's obvious he's not where he wants to be, or should be. He also has a great sense of humor, and he has some pretty funny lines.

Zoe Saldana as Uhuru is is a very smart woman, who knows what she wants to do, and is not afraid to tell anyone who stands in her way. She really plays the character how you would imagine Uhura would be in her younger days.

OK, also, Leonard Nimoy plays a pivotal role in the the movies' plot, so I won't give away what he does. Suffice it to say, he's the same old Spock he always was.

Eric Bana plays the movie's villain, a Romulan named Nero, and as the movie plays out you'll see why he is how he is.

Now, my review: this movie was fantastic! The director, J.J. Abrams, is the creator of "Lost" and "Alias". He directs the movie with love and affection for the source material (the original series, and well as subsequent incarnations of the show, and the movies). The movie, as well as the characters, play out not as an imitation of the original series, but they stand on their own as a "re-imagining" of how the characters' early years may have played out, and how they came to be the characters of their older selves. The plot deals with several stories, and the flow of the movie was well-paced. There is plenty of action, plenty of humor, and you really get to feel involved with the characters and get to know and care about them. And, of course, the special effects are top-notch. The scenes in the skies above planet Vulcan (don't want to give away the plot) are fantastic, and the stunts in the film are amazing.

One last thing: If you're old enough to remember the original series, you know that on just about EVERY episode, the guy in the red uniform who always beams down on the away missions ALWAYS bit the dust. The same is true here - it's a GREAT scene, watch for it.

Out of four Vikings, this one gets 4! Whether you're a fan of the show or not, you'll really enjoy it!

PPO Ambassador, Defender of the Purple Faith and Guardian of the Gates of Valhalla

erik5032 is offline Star Spokesman

Re: Shock's Movie Review: "Star Trek"

I enjoyed it as well Shock. I watched original reruns and Next Gen. when i was younger... but never really go into it. If you did watch a lot of the TV show, this movie is not character driven like the series, but rather it is plot driven.

The characters were picked perfectly. I was happy they did say "Beam me up scottie." haha was waiting for it. McCoy was probably my fav character in this movie... i would give it 4 1/2 stars.

Garland Greene is offline Jersey Retired

Wife and I got back a couple of hours ago from the Imax she is in no way a huge Star Trek fan unlike me who I unlike shock have slot of Star Trek stuff and yes have been to multiple conventions. We both loved the movie. My only complaint was a love relationship that did not fit and honestly didn't belong as I thought did not fit either charecter.
    Other than that there were a few tie INS to past shows that probably most die yards would pick up on, but there was also some MAJOR changes to the Star Trek universe as you know it if you are a die hard like me.
    Great movie.

Mr Anderson is offline Jersey Retired

It looks pretty badass, I'm gonna have to check it out.

BBQ Platypus is offline Team Alumni

I thought it was good.
    I didn't like the villain as much as I did the rest of the film - he got a bit less menacing as the film went on.
    But overall, as a casual Trek fan, I liked it.
    It was well-cast (I would've liked to have seen more of Simon Pegg, actually), the effects were great, and the script was zippy and fun.
    You can tell they put a lot of effort and care into this film.
    I'd give it about an 8 out of 10.

Now, for the next one, I'd like them to make a movie that says something - y'know, has a Star Trek-type message.
    Wrath of Khan was about getting old, The Voyage Home was about protecting the environment - y'know, that kind of stuff.
    Only be subtle about it - don't shoehorn it in just for the sake of putting it in.
    This one didn't really have a "big message," but it was perfectly fine for this movie since I had so much fun watching it.

I didn't think I'd be saying this after Nemesis came out, but I really am looking forward to seeing the next Star Trek movie.
    Now that they've given the franchise a shot in the arm, I'm quite eager to see what sorts of new and exciting places they can take it.

"This is my timey-wimey detector. It goes ding when there's stuff."

Potus2028 is offline Hall of Famer

+1

It was an awesome movie...

It has motivated me to start watching the original series... It's my summer project... Then onto the Next Generation. And the movies.

I forgot how many tv series Star Trek had.

But I'm definitely going to see it again! I'm the main cast signed on for two more movies, also.
    i m better than you, so just give up...

Zeus is offline Jersey Retired

"shockzilla" wrote:
    Out of four Vikings, this one gets 4! Whether you're a fan of the show or not, you'll really enjoy it!
    I agree.
    Loved it.

=Z=

Thanks to Josdin for the awesome sig!

Marrdro is offline Beware My Spreadsheet, Bitches!

Love these threads.
    Thanks Shock.

On a side note.........

I don't have any props or costumes or anything like that.
    I think you would make a cool Klingon if you decide to get a costume.
    ;D
    Many many thanks to my talented friend Jos for the new Sig.http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v343/josdin00/Vikings/Marrdro_sig.jpg

Zeus is offline Jersey Retired

"Marrdro" wrote:
    Love these threads.
    Thanks Shock.

On a side note.........

;D
    Or a Tribble.

=Z=

Thanks to Josdin for the awesome sig!

Marrdro is offline Beware My Spreadsheet, Bitches!

"Zeus" wrote:
    "Marrdro" wrote:
    Love these threads.
    Thanks Shock.

On a side note.........

;D
    Or a Tribble.

=Z=
    ;D ;D ;D
    Many many thanks to my talented friend Jos for the new Sig.http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v343/josdin00/Vikings/Marrdro_sig.jpg

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast