shockzilla is offline PPO Ambassador
    Blog Entries

Shock's Movie Review - "Hancock"

Will Smith has finally done it - he's made a movie that's only half good.

In "Hancock", Will Smith's latest July blockbuster, the premise is one that's very promising: what if a superhero didn't give a damn about the consequences of his actions? What if he wasn't "super", just a superhero with a bad attitude and a bad image problem?

That's the premise of the film, and it works rather well, at first. To see Will Smith flying (or is is careening?) around, half drunk, scaring little kids (granted - one of them is a little smart ass), causing massive destruction while at the same time saving people, was a kick. There are several very funny scenes in the beginning.

We never get an explanation how Hancock came to have his powers (at least at first), so we have to assume he's like Superman - not human, from some other world. And people do not appreciate him - while his actions are honorable, his motives are questionable. In the process of saving a PR guy, Ray Embrey (A very funny Jason Bateman), Hancock inadvertently causes a train derailment. And the people who he saves along with Ray have the gall to COMPLAIN about the way he saved them! (LOL) People are getting tired of the damage his antics are causing, and Ray, being a PR genius, decides that Hancock needs a serious image makeover. He takes him home for a spaghetti dinner and to meet the family - his wife Mary and young son, who's absolutely taken with Hancock. However, Mary isn't charmed the way Ray and his son are - she senses something is not right.

Ray eventually convinces Hancock to turn himself in to the authorities, and the scenes in which he spends time in jail are among the funniest of the movie (you'll see what I mean). Eventually, Hancock is let out of prison to help foil a bank robbery. With his image makeover, Ray has convinced Hancock that he needs to LOOK like a superhero, so he gets him a "super suit". Hancock shows up at the bank and saves the day.

Here is where the movie takes a 180-degree turn from funny and innovative to something really weird, and the movie becomes something that I think Smith and all involved weren't intending to do - take everything that was built up in the first half of the movie and let it go to waste.

I'm not going to say what the plot twist is, but suffice it to say that, for me, it ruined the fun of the whole first half of the movie. At that point, it went from funny, different and unique to same old boring plot. It's totally unexpected what happens, but that doesn't make it interesting.

For the first half of the movie, it was refreshing to see Will Smith play someone not totally likable and seriously flawed, but interesting nonetheless. Then he took that good will built up and threw it away, at least for me. The movie became a boring miscalculation.

I give this film out of four.
    PPO Ambassador, Defender of the Purple Faith and Guardian of the Gates of Valhalla

NordicNed is offline Jersey Retired

Re: Shock's Movie Review - "Hancock"

Shock,

Thanks for the review, but i'm sad to read the second half of the movie is more of a flop in your eyes.
    I can say, this is one of the few new movies coming out, that I wanted to see on the big screen.
    Maybe I'll just hold off now, like I do with most movies I see.

Thanks.

NN

I LOVE THE SMELL OF VICTORY IN THE MORNING AIR.

ultravikingfan is offline Administrator

I liked it a lot.
    Charlize Theron was hot as hell!

shockzilla is offline PPO Ambassador
    Blog Entries

Yeah, but what about my review?

;D
    PPO Ambassador, Defender of the Purple Faith and Guardian of the Gates of Valhalla

marstc09 is offline Jersey Retired

I heard this movie was disappointing.

Marrdro is offline Beware My Spreadsheet, Bitches!

Thanks Shock.
    I love these threads.....

My daughter and boyfriend gave it high reviews.
    I am a huge Will Smith fan.
    I will probably see it regardless of what everyone thinks.
    ;D
    Many many thanks to my talented friend Jos for the new Sig.http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v343/josdin00/Vikings/Marrdro_sig.jpg