Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast
    singersp is offline PPO Newshound

Severe Flooding Kills 6 In SE Minnesota - My home town

[size=13pt]Severe Flooding Kills 4 In Southeastern Minnesota[/size]

(CBS) WINONA, Minn. Severe weather deluged parts of the Midwest overnight, washing away bridges and roadways, killing four people in southeastern Minnesota, authorities said Sunday....

"If at first you don't succeed, parachuting is not for you"

Re: Severe Flooding Kills 4 In Southeastern Minnesota

The Winona area is where I grew up & where I work everyday. The worst flooding so far is in Stockton & Minnesota City only 1 mile from where I work. I also have relatives & friends in these communities.

The rain has been coming down steady since 8AM yesterday morning & first let up around 9 this morning. I was in Winona this morning & heard a rumor that Stocton is gone, devastated by the flood, but I'm looking for more confirmation of that/

I know the National Guard is already there & there are Blackhawk helicopters buzzing around.

I believe all my relatives should be safe as they live on higher ground.

NordicNed is offline Jersey Retired

Singer,

I would like to send my prayers to your family and friends who have been effected by these storms and flooding....Hopefully everyone you know is okay...

I LOVE THE SMELL OF VICTORY IN THE MORNING AIR.

snowinapril is offline Jersey Retired

"singersp" wrote:
    The Winona area is where I grew up & where I work everyday. The worst flooding so far is in Stockton & Minnesota City only 1 mile from where I work. I also have relatives & friends in these communities.

The rain has been coming down steady since 8AM yesterday morning & first let up around 9 this morning. I was in Winona this morning & heard a rumor that Stocton is gone, devastated by the flood, but I'm looking for more confirmation of that/

I know the National Guard is already there & there are Blackhawk helicopters buzzing around.

What river or rivers are causing the problems in this area of MN and Wis?

"snowinapril" wrote:
    "singersp" wrote:

What river or rivers are causing the problems in this area of MN and Wis?
    I'm on one side of the river & they are on the other, We're separated by the Mississipi River, but that is not the biggest problem. The creeks have been overflowing.

Most of these communities are in low lying areas & are surrounded by bluffs. Minnesota City has the bluff on one side & then a small hill on the other. the houses between these are flooded.

Stocton & Elba are in more of a bowl, almost completely sourounded by hills. When it rains, all the water rushes off the hills, filling the creeks & then overflowing it. Thus causing flooding. A good portion of those two towns must be under water. They were evacuating people yesterday.

Those two places are where the National Guard & Blackhawks are.

I also know Alma, which is a town about 12 miles north of me, evacuated some people. That town is built on a hillside & they feared mudslides.

Fountain City, 2 miles from where I live is also built on a hill, but I've heard nothing about the threat of mudslides there. I went past there this morning & saw nothing out of the ordinary with the exception of the rise in the Mississippi.

[size=13pt]Notice Regarding Flooding in Winona Area[/size]

Story by: WSU Office of University Communication

Flash floods in Southeastern Minnesota have closed many roads and have had a devastating impact on area communities...

4 Fatalities Confirmed: Severe Flooding in Winona County

http://www.myfoxtwincities.com/myfox/pages/News/Detail?contentId=4109192&version=32&locale=EN-US&layoutCode=TSTY&pageId=3.2.1

BadlandsVikings is offline Jersey Retired

That's sad, keep us updated Singer.

cogitans is offline Jersey Retired

More bad news. That sucks.

Thanks to PPE for the sig.

Here is an update from my aunt who lives in the flooded area around Minnesota City;

Just a quick note to let you know we're all ok here in Minn. City and Winona.You might have seen
    on TV that we got hit hard with all the rain we have been getting and still coming.

The creek that goes thru Minn.City over flowed taking out the bridges,some houses and many cars .Stockton is completely wiped out with some drownings, Eyota is bad and many evacuations in
    Goodview and Winona. Highway 61 on both sides of Minn.City is closed so Oma and
    Terri are closed in and we can't get to them yet. They have no phone or electric service but Terri has her Cell so we communicate. I have lights but no phone.

More rain is predicted for tonite so it's not over yet.We are closed in on this street----can't get in or out ----national guards all around to keep sight --seers away. I'll keep you posted-----just wanted you to know we're all safe.

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast