Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
    cogitans is offline Jersey Retired

Re: School Shooting at Northern Illinois University

Damn these shootings

Thanks to PPE for the sig.

jkjuggalo is offline Star Spokesman

This is a bad trend.
    We need to stop focusing so much media attention on these tragedies because it seems to be breeding more violence.
    Rock out with your cock out!!!

josdin00 is offline Ring of Fame

Okay, from what I've read so far....

There are now 7 confirmed fatalities, including the gunman, who shot himself. The gunman entered a lecture hall (that holds about 300 students) by the side door of the 'stage' where the professor teaches. He didn't move very far from the door. He had a shotgun and two handguns, and started firing into the middle of the room, not appearing to aim at anyone in particular. The professor ducked out of the way, and was wounded in his arm/shoulder. The DeKalb County Coroner has released the identity of four of the victims so far: Daniel Parmenter, 20, of Westchester; Catalina Garcia, 20, of Cicero; Ryanne Mace, 19, of Carpentersville; and Julianna Gehant, 32, of Meriden.

The shooter, Steve Kazmierczak, was a 27 year old former graduate student of sociology at NIU, but had left NIU last spring to attend the University of Illinois. Two years ago, NIU had honored him with a dean's award for his sociology work. He had become an expert on the US prison system, and had co-authored two reports on that subject. One was on self-injury in the prison system, and one was on the role of religion in the formation of the early prisons.

Kazmierczak went into the room shortly before 3:00 (one report said 2:55) and opened fire. Police received a 911 call at 3:06, and were on the scene 29 seconds later, where they found the gunman dead. At 3:20, using a system put in place after the Virginia Tech shooting 10 months ago, a message went out via the campus website, email, and automated phone calls warning students to stay in a safe place due to a gunman on campus. NIU used that same system to keep student updated and to urge all the students to call their parents as soon as possible.

Suspected NIU shooter identified as Steve Kazmierczak
    Up-to-the-minute messaging system put to the test
    NIU noted gunman's scholarship

I have a number of friends that went to NIU for their undergrad. My wife got her masters from NIU, and we lived in Dekalb for a year after we were married. Her parents both went to NIU. My Grandma went to NIU around the turn of the century when it was a teaching college before going on to teach in a one-room school house. My neighbor's daughter (who has babysat our kids before) is currently a student at NIU. I have a deep connection to this school, and my heart goes out to the friends and families of the victims, to all the current students of NIU who have face this, and to all the alumni of NIU who have to see this happen to their school. My prayers are for, and with, all of them.

VikingMike is offline Jersey Retired

I don't know why these sick bastards can't just off themselves and leave everyone else alone. My prayers for these poor victims and their families. Very sad trend.
    Any man who afflicts the human race with ideas must be prepared to see them misunderstood. - H.L. Mencken

Come from the land of the ice and snow...

Marrdro is offline Beware My Spreadsheet, Bitches!

"VikingMike" wrote:
    I don't know why these sick bastards can't just off themselves and leave everyone else alone. My prayers for these poor victims and their families. Very sad trend.
    What he said.
    :'(
    Many many thanks to my talented friend Jos for the new Sig.http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v343/josdin00/Vikings/Marrdro_sig.jpg

NodakPaul is offline Jersey Retired
    Blog Entries

"josdin00" wrote:
    Police received a 911 call at 3:06, and were on the scene 29 seconds later, where they found the gunman dead. At 3:20, using a system put in place after the Virginia Tech shooting 10 months ago, a message went out via the campus website, email, and automated phone calls warning students to stay in a safe place due to a gunman on campus. NIU used that same system to keep student updated and to urge all the students to call their parents as soon as possible.
    I have been following this story as well, and I am actually impressed with the university's response.
    Zeus wrote:
    When are you going to realize that picking out the 20 bad throws this year and ignoring the 300 good ones does not make your point?

=Z=

I also just learned that one of the injured students was a graduate of the high school in my town. It's amazing how a couple minor connections and seeing familiar places on the news can really make these things hit home.

Another couple things that I didn't mention in my previous post:

On December 10th 2007, the NIU campus was closed down due to threatening messages found on a bathroom wall....

http://www.chicagotribune.com/news/local/chi-niu_alert_webdec10,0,714223.story wrote:
    The first set of messages, found written in black ink in a women's restroom, includes a racial slur and reads "ME / OUT . . . Die Sem Burr 10th . . . Hmz Sdn Cr" in what officials believe are references to Dec. 10 and the Holmes Student Center. Underlined letters also spell out the word "WATCH."

The second entry, which appears to be in different handwriting, reads, "What time? The VA tech shooters messed up w/ having only one shooter . . ."

Last week, another message was found (I haven't found this in an article, but the local ABC news station is reporting it. It's near the end of the video on this page). The message read (including the underlines):

February 7th has ended
    2-?-08
    It is going to happen.

They don't know if the message is related to this shooting or not. They don't believe the december message has anything to do with the events of yesterday.

"NodakPaul" wrote:
    "josdin00" wrote:
    Police received a 911 call at 3:06, and were on the scene 29 seconds later, where they found the gunman dead. At 3:20, using a system put in place after the Virginia Tech shooting 10 months ago, a message went out via the campus website, email, and automated phone calls warning students to stay in a safe place due to a gunman on campus. NIU used that same system to keep student updated and to urge all the students to call their parents as soon as possible.
    I have been following this story as well, and I am actually impressed with the university's response.
    Yes, the university seems to have taken the lessons of the Virginia Tech shooting to heart, and had all the procedures in place to respond to this type of incident. I can't find fault with any of their actions that I've heard about.

"josdin00" wrote:
    Okay, from what I've read so far....

There are now 7 confirmed fatalities, including the gunman, who shot himself.
    That number is back down to 6 -- 5 students plus the gunman. The fith victim's identity has also been released: sophomore Gayle Dubowski, 20, of Carol Stream.

http://www.chicagotribune.com/news/local/chi-niu-shooting_webfeb16,0,4111841.story wrote:
    UPDATE: Police say NIU gunman Steve Kazmierczak had stopped taking his medication recently and had "become erratic." The DeKalb County coroner says five students, not six, were killed in the shooting rampage in which Kazmierczak took his own life.

pack93z is offline Team Alumni

It hit home to the PackerForum last night.. one of the fine posters daughter attends school there and was near the shootings. From the sounds of it, her boyfriend is having a hard time dealing with the events. My prayers go out for all those having to deal with this tragedy of last night.

It is a shame that we have to worry about such things in this fine country, is anyplace genuinely safe these days from this type of senselessness? Really makes you wonder how to ensure your families safety.

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast