Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    BadlandsVikings is offline Jersey Retired

School penalizes students for hugs, high-fives

VIENNA, Va. - A rule against physical contact at a Fairfax County middle school is so strict that students can be sent to the principal's office for hugging, holding hands or even high-fiving.

Unlike some schools in the Washington area, which ban fighting or inappropriate touching, Kilmer Middle School in Vienna bans all touching — and that has some parents lobbying for a change.

Hugging was Hal Beaulieu's crime when he sat next to his girlfriend at lunch a few months ago and put his arm around her shoulder. He was given a warning, but told that repeat missteps could lead to detention.

"I think hugging is a good thing," said Hal, a seventh-grader. "I put my arm around her. It was like for 15 seconds. I didn't think it would be a big deal."

But at a school of 1,100 students that was meant to accommodate 850, school officials think some touching can turn into a big deal. They've seen pokes lead to fights, gang signs in the form of handshakes or girls who are uncomfortable being hugged but embarrassed to say anything.

"You get into shades of gray," Kilmer Principal Deborah Hernandez said. "The kids say, 'If he can high-five, then I can do this.' "

Hernandez said the no-touching rule is meant to ensure that all students are comfortable and crowded hallways and lunchrooms stay safe. She said school officials are allowed to use their judgment in enforcing the rule. Typically, only repeat offenders are reprimanded.

'Making out goes too far'
    But such a strict policy doesn't seem necessary to 13-year-old Hal and his parents, who have written a letter to the county school board asking for a review of the rule. Hugging is encouraged in their home, and their son has been taught to greet someone with a handshake.

Hal said he feels he knows what's appropriate and what's not.

"I think you should be able to shake hands, high-five and maybe a quick hug," he said. "Making out goes too far."

His parents said they agree that teenagers need to have clear limits but don't want their son to be taught that physical contact is bad.

"How do kids learn what's right and what's wrong?" Henri Beaulieu asked. "They are all smart kids, and they can draw lines. If they cross them, they can get in trouble. But I don't think it would happen too often."

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/19293872/?GT1=10056

tb04512 is offline Team Alumni

Re: School penalizes students for hugs, high-fives

wow that is a little over the top.. some people need to calm down, i mean a high 5?? a hug? are you kidding me?

Thanks josdin00

They should organize for everyone to give someone a high five in the school at the same time and see what happens.

That is seriously rediculous. I can't believe this rule was even passed in the first place. I can see where hitting and stuff is banned but this is definately crossing the line. No high-fives? Will the world be able to survive without high-fives? I think not.
    "God has blessed me tremendously. I'd be a fool to complain."
    "From what I understand, the coaches will put the best 11 on the field."
    -Tyrell Johnson

Must make football practice a little weird.

olson_10 is offline Ring of Fame

"BadlandsViking" wrote:

"You get into shades of gray," Kilmer Principal Deborah Hernandez said. "The kids say, 'If he can high-five, then I can do this.' "

okay..what this woman is implying is that high fives lead to rape and sexual harassment..dontcha love america?
    People who see life as anything more than pure entertainment are missing the point.

olson_10 is offline Ring of Fame

"vikes_4_life_42" wrote:
    That is seriously rediculous. I can't believe this rule was even passed in the first place. I can see where hitting and stuff is banned but this is definately crossing the line. No high-fives? Will the world be able to survive without high-fives? I think not.
    what else are us nerdy white people supposed to do without the high five? are we bringing the whole fonz HEYYYYYYYYYYY two thumbs up thing back?
    People who see life as anything more than pure entertainment are missing the point.

Freya is offline Team Alumni

I would expect that the teachers and members of the administration will also abide by this rule.

Pats on the back included.

Personally, I don't think there is intelligent life on other planets. Why should other planets be any different from this one?

NodakPaul is offline Jersey Retired
    Blog Entries

"olson_10" wrote:
    "vikes_4_life_42" wrote:
    what else are us nerdy white people supposed to do without the high five? are we bringing the whole fonz HEYYYYYYYYYYY two thumbs up thing back?
    I still do that.
    You mean it isn't in style anymore?
    CRAP! ;D
    Zeus wrote:
    When are you going to realize that picking out the 20 bad throws this year and ignoring the 300 good ones does not make your point?

=Z=

Marrdro is offline Beware My Spreadsheet, Bitches!

You should see how the run a graduation down here........

When your kid gets thier diploma you weren't allowed to cheer or clap.
    They actually stopped the proceedings during my daughters grad and removed some family members for being to loud and obnoxious.

Of course I clapped and WW whistled when our daughters name was called.
    Didn't get thrown out either.
    ;D
    Many many thanks to my talented friend Jos for the new Sig.http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v343/josdin00/Vikings/Marrdro_sig.jpg

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast