marcosMN is offline Star Spokesman

Saddam Verdict: Guilty! Sentence: Death!

http://wcco.com/topstories/local_story_309091804.html
    Saddam Verdict: Guilty! Sentence: Death!
    Former Iraqi Dictator, 2 Co-Defendants, To Be Hanged
    CBS News Interactive: Saddam's Judgment

(CBS News) Baghdad Iraq's High Tribunal on Sunday found Saddam Hussein guilty of crimes against humanity and sentenced him to hang for the 1982 killing of 148 Shiites in the city of Dujail. The visibly shaken former leader shouted, "Allahu Akbar!" -- "God is great!"

His half-brother and former intelligence chief Barzan Ibrahim, and Awad Hamed al-Bandar, head of the former Revolutionary Court, were sentenced to join Saddam on the gallows.

After the verdict was read, a shaken Saddam yelled out, "Life for the glorious nation, and death to its enemies!"

Some feared the verdicts could intensify Iraq's sectarian violence after a trial that stretched over nine months in 39 sessions and ended nearly 3 1/2 months ago.

Clashes immediately broke out in north Baghdad's heavily Sunni Azamiyah district where police were battling men with machine guns. At least seven mortar shells slammed to earth around the Abu Hanifa mosque, the holiest Sunni shrine in the capital. There was no immediate word on casualties.

Sunni political leader Salih al-Mutlaq condemned the court decision.

"This government will be responsible for the consequences, with the deaths of hundreds, thousands or even hundreds of thousands, whose blood will be shed," al-Mutlaq told the al-Arabiya satellite television station.

During Sunday's hearing, Saddam initially refused the chief judge's order to rise; two bailiffs lifted the ousted ruler to his feet and he remained standing through the sentencing.

Saddam and his seven co-defendants had been tried by the Iraqi High Tribunal over a wave of revenge killings carried out in the city of Dujail following a 1982 assassination attempt on the former dictator.

Celebratory gunfire rang out elsewhere in Baghdad, and the people in Sadr City, the capital's Shiite slum, celebrated in the streets, calling out "Where are you Saddam? We want to fight you."

A jubilant crowd of young men carried pictures of radical anti-American Shiite cleric Muqtada al-Sadr and handed out candy to children.

In Tikrit, Saddam's hometown, 1,000 people defied the curfew and carried pictures of the city's favorite son through the streets.

"Saddam Hussein's conviction and sentence to death by hanging for crimes against humanity is unlikely to bring the hoped-for national reconciliation in Iraq but it will bring some closure to the majority Shiite population who suffered under Hussein's dictatorship," said CBS News foreign affairs analyst Pamela Falk, an international lawyer.
    Well, he killed alot of people, many the ones he was supposed to be protecting.

I think we all knew exactly what would happen with this trial.
    -Sno

singersp is offline PPO Newshound

Re: Saddam Verdict: Guilty! Sentence: Death!

:-\
    Does this really come as a surprise to anyone?

The way the television market is going there will either be a reality show about it or a pay for view.

"If at first you don't succeed, parachuting is not for you"

So thousands of americans died for the reason of putting saddam to death.
    That was worth it.
    He killed his own people, that happens all over the world, are we going to sentance to death each leader who killed their own people?
    I am so happy we put americans in their graves way too early to sentance this POS to death.

You republican whore!

singersp is offline PPO Newshound

"PurpleRide" wrote:
    That was worth it.
    He killed his own people, that happens all over the world, are we going to sentance to death each leader who killed their own people?
    I am so happy we put americans in their graves way too early to sentance this POS to death.

If you think the Iraq war was just about killing Sadaam, you're sadly mistaken.

"If at first you don't succeed, parachuting is not for you"

LuckyVike is offline Team Alumni

"singersp" wrote:
    "PurpleRide" wrote:
    That was worth it.

If you think the Iraq war was just about killing Sadaam, you're sadly mistaken.
    Behind Vietnam, the Iraq war is the biggest waste of human life and money in the history of this country.
    Saddam was never and was years on top of years away from being anything near a direct threat to the U.S.
    In all probability, he would've never directly been a threat to us.
    The best part of my day is when I get down on my knees, with my head in my hands, and thank GOD for everything he has given me.

TARKenton is offline Asst. Coach

"LuckyVike" wrote:

Behind Vietnam, the Iraq war is the biggest waste of human life and money in the history of this country.
    Saddam was never and was years on top of years away from being anything near a direct threat to the U.S.
    thats
    pretty liberal statement.
    saying iraq was of no threat to both the us and the rest of the free world is just showing your blind hatred of bush.
    saddam was a theat, he harbored and financed terroists as well as supported the 9/11 attacks.
    while i dont agree with the way the iraq war has been handled, i do agree with the us being there.
    if saddam was sinister enough to kill his own people, im sure he would have no problem killing americans.
    he needed out of power, and iraq needed liberated.
    and dont compare this war to vietnam.
    vietnam lasted over 10 years, this war is only in its third.
    ...Rodgers had to hold on the ball longer, giving players like Jared "I am completely insane and will literally eat your children" Allen time to sack Rodgers again.And again. And again. Actually I think Rodgers may have nightmares about Jared Allen the rest of the year.

BadlandsVikings is offline Jersey Retired

Good he's killed a lot of innocent people.

WWI - We didn't start it and we didn't have to go
    WWII - We didn't start it but we did get bombed. we took care of it
    Korea - don't understand that one
    Vietnam - don't understand that one
    Gulf War I we should have finished it
    Afganistan and Gulf War II we were attacked on our soil.
    We have liberated 2 countries.
    Yes it's sad that we've lost 3,000 men and women this time, but....didn't they know this might happen when they signed up????
    God bless our troop God bless our leader.

Please lock this thread.

LuckyVike is offline Team Alumni

"TARKenton" wrote:
    "LuckyVike" wrote:

thats
    pretty liberal statement.
    saying iraq was of no threat to both the us and the rest of the free world is just showing your blind hatred of bush.

saddam was a theat, he harbored and financed terroists as well as supported the 9/11 attacks.
    while i dont agree with the way the iraq war has been handled, i do agree with the us being there.
    if saddam was sinister enough to kill his own people, im sure he would have no problem killing americans.
    he needed out of power, and iraq needed liberated.
    and dont compare this war to vietnam.
    vietnam lasted over 10 years, this war is only in its third.
    We were already stuck in the quagmire known as Afghanistan when Bush marched on over to Iraq.
    We've lost so much money in the middle east over the past few years it's absolutely disgusting.
    We have too many problems at home to worry about people like Saddam who "don't like us" .
    You think Saddam was the only leader in the world that was happy about 9/11?
    You think Saddam is the only leader that keeps his people in fear?
    Are we going to go on a crusade against half the world?
    The administration lied to us and told us false facts to gain support for "their" war.
    I don't know about you but I don't appreciate being lied to, especially on a subject of this magnitude.
    The reports we have now show that Saddam was nowhere near able to make WMD's.
    Definately worth the lives we've gave... :
    The best part of my day is when I get down on my knees, with my head in my hands, and thank GOD for everything he has given me.