Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    cajunvike is offline Jersey Retired

Re: Rolling Stones Halftime Show

"V-Unit" wrote:
    Jagger was doing all he could to put on a good show. The rest of the stones were just unmotivated and uninspired. They played like they didn't want to be there. They played like they were, well dead.
    Maybe they should rename themselves "The Grateful (for a gig) Half-Dead"...LOL!
    BANNED OR DEAD...I'LL TAKE EITHER ONE

sleepagent is offline Hall of Famer

"jimmymac" wrote:
    Why does there have to be a band at all at halftime? How about something related to sports.

Punt, pass and kick finals? Gladiators? Lingerie bowl?
    I don't know about a punt, pass, kick finals or Gladiators . . . but . . . tell me more about this lingerie bowl idea. :shock:

"No Greater Friend . . . No Worse Enemy. U.S. MARINES"
    "FIND YOUR PASSION AND MAKE IT HAPPEN!"
    "SUCCESS LOOKS EASY TO THOSE THAT WEREN'T THERE WHEN IT WAS BEING ACHIEVED!"

singersp is offline PPO Newshound

"sleepagent" wrote:
    I am 39 years old and have absolutely no use for rap / hip hop, but there are about 3 or 4 Eminem songs I like. Throw in Kid Rock and Bob Seger - now you've got a great cross generational half-time show!
    If you want good cross generational music, there is a one word answer;

Aerosmith

"If at first you don't succeed, parachuting is not for you"

DarrinNelsonguy is offline Team Alumni

I thought the show was just average, nothing too great but they are still The Rolling Stones.
    "Hard work beats talent, when talent doesn t work hard."

josdin00 is offline Ring of Fame

"sleepagent" wrote:
    I am 39 years old and have absolutely no use for rap / hip hop, but there are about 3 or 4 Eminem songs I like. Throw in Kid Rock and Bob Seger - now you've got a great cross generational half-time show!

:thumbright:
    You could even have Kid rock and Seger up there at the same time. On KR's last album, he recorded a song "Hard Night for Sarah" that Seger wrote, but never recorded. Of course, that particular song would have been a bit of a downer for the superbowl, but their styles do match up suprisingly well.

hungryboy is offline Rookie

That was the Rolling Stones. I thought it was the California Rasins.

canadian_vikes_fan is offline Hall of Famer

"Caine" wrote:
    While I openly admit that I've never been a Stones fan..and by that I mean that I own none of their albums/CDs, nor do I ever intend to...I have always been able to gloss over their seemingly inept handling of any and all things remotely related to music and tolerate listening to a handful of what I laughingly call songs.

Then came last Sunday.

In my ENTIRE life, I have witnessed a mere handful of performances that I would consider to be worse than the one I was "treated" to at halftime. Of course, to be fair, the vast majority of them involve junior high school bands...with the other 2 I can recall being put in by bar bands who made up for their lack of ability by also displaying a complete lack of caring that they sucked.

Charlie Watts looked - as he always does - like a marionette...barely managing to keep time, and occassionally throwing in a half hearted attempt to hit something other than the snare drum. And, to me, that was the HIGHLIGHT of their performance.

Mick Jagger, lacking any sense of rythm, showed why the commonly held belief that white people can't dance exists. Anyone clapping along (Although I fail to see why they would) and watching Mick would certainly wind up melting their brain with the effort...much like patting your head and rubbing your tummy. Of course, melting your brain might explain why they have a fan base.

And speaking of "melted brains", Keith Richards and Ron Wood looked like something from a "Living Dead" movie. And while I could occassionally recognize a chord or two, for the most part they simply appeared to be striking strings at random while moving their hands in a movie-star parody of guitar playing. These two are to guitar playing what Micheal Jordan is to Baseball.

Their replacement bass player might actually be good...I couldn't tell...but it stands to reason that there is no way in Hades that these guys actually want someone in the band who can play. It would simply underscore their own inability.

Now, at first I thought that they were suffering sound problems due to the location...and a poor TV feed. Kind of like every band on SNL suffers weekly. But, as the "show" wore on, I became convinced that any "technical issues" being suffered weren't detracting from the performance, rather they were like a mercy killing of a critically injured family pet who is clinging to life by a thread but suffering horribly.

Now, I'm sure that a few die-hard Stones fan will post here and - oh so politely - tell me how wrong I am. Feel free. To me, the only thing worse than the Stone's "performance" was the officiating...and THAT was horrible.

Caine
    I am a Stones fan, have always been, and they're definitely top 3 in my all-time bands list. But I agree with you that their performance at the Super Bowl was pretty terrible. Let me try to explain:
    1) the acoustics at Ford Field are pretty terrible, and you could tell
    2) With only a 3 song set, they weren't really given a chance to get rocking
    3) they chose a really bad song - the new one in the middle (Rough Justice?)

Having said that, they rocked A LOT better than my, or most, grandparents can, and for doing what they did for 50 years, I give them credit. They certainly aren't the band they once were, but the fact that they are still out there 50 years later doing what they can is surely worth something.

Thanks PPE for the sig.

sleepagent is offline Hall of Famer

"singersp" wrote:
    "sleepagent" wrote:
    If you want good cross generational music, there is a one word answer;

Aerosmith
    Their show a few years back worked well and of course Britney Spears was soft on the eyes too.

"No Greater Friend . . . No Worse Enemy. U.S. MARINES"
    "FIND YOUR PASSION AND MAKE IT HAPPEN!"
    "SUCCESS LOOKS EASY TO THOSE THAT WEREN'T THERE WHEN IT WAS BEING ACHIEVED!"

Prophet Guest

The Stones were pathetic at half-time. I've seen them live a few times over 20 years ago and enjoyed the show then. The lingerie bowl is consuming my halftime next year.

jimmymac is offline Pro-Bowler

"Prophet" wrote:
    The Stones were pathetic at half-time. I've seen them live a few times over 20 years ago and enjoyed the show then. The lingerie bowl is consuming my halftime next year.
    I watched the lingerie bowl the first year it was on, but the past two Superbowls I have been in groups that included women so the lingerie bowl wasn't politically correct at halftime.

I was impressed that the girls played so hard. LT was one of the coaches and it was like red underwear against white.

Too bad it's not tops vs. bottoms :razz:
    -- Sarcasm always turned on --

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast