Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Roenick...

CanadaViking is offline Pro-Bowler

Re: Roenick...

First off, as far as JR is concerned, he is saying what is on his freakin' mind, regardless of whether we like it or not, atleast he is speaking his mind, unlike all the other spine-less idiots in the NHL.

And yes we all chastized the players, well I'll be darned, it was the freakin' owners that put themselves into their predicament, so let's not forget what really happened.

As far as the NHL fixing their game, the only way to do that is to implode 5-10 teams immediately. The talent has been watered down with an excessive amount of teams. There are too many guys that should be playing in the minors, that are 4th line guys, that are hooking, grabbing, holding, and molesting the 1st, 2nd and 3rd line players.

Take out 5-10 teams and the skill level will sky-rocket, look when there was 21 teams, the scoring and excitement was amazing. Hockey needs to go back to its roots, Winnipeg, Quebec City, etc. Sorry Nashville and Florida, but hell you don't need or even want hockey. And yes Gary Bettman is an idiot who should lose his job immediately following the signing of the new CBA. Goodenow should rot as well.

Cheers!!

Del Rio Guest

He was obviously refering to the fans.

Webby is offline Administrator
    Blog Entries

"cajunvike" wrote:
    can kiss my MF AZZ...F*** him...jealous...of what...that he is an a$$hole...puhleeze...he ain't gettin' any more of MY money (via ticket sales, merchandise, etc.)...the NHL can rot in he!! for all I care...those ingrates get to do what they love and make a ton of money doing it...and they barely give sh*t back to the fans...stay away, Roenick...WE don't need YOU either!!!

http://msn.foxsports.com/nhl/story/3721780
    can we tone down the expletives, etc? SKOL!

Vikes is offline Team Alumni

Honsety is the best policy..So at least we know were he stands.

The rigors of Spartan life. Leonidas is cast out into the wild, and survives the harsh winter to return to his home, when he is crowned King ....a Viking!

cajunvike is offline Jersey Retired

"Caine" wrote:
    Was he ripping FANS...or was he ripping the Media?

I wish I could ask him. He never says "Fans", he says "People". And the only people he'd really have occassion to hear from are the Media.

Makes me wonder.

Caine

PS: Bettman is a tool.
    Are you referring to the clip or the article...because if it is the article then:

Excerpted from article:
    Flyers center Jeremy Roenick ripped into fans who have been critical of the NHL Players' Association throughout the current NHL lockout.
    "If people are going to sit and chastise pro athletes for being cocky, they need to look at one thing and that's the deal we're going to be signing in about three weeks,' Roenick said. "Pro athletes are not cocky. Pro athletes care about the game. Everybody out there who calls us spoiled because we play a game, they can kiss my a--.

"I will say personally, to everybody who calls us spoiled, you guys are just jealous. We're trying to get this thing back on the ice and make it better for the fans. If you don't realize that, then don't come. We don't want you in the rink, we don't want you in the stadium, we don't want you to watch hockey.'

He WAS ripping unhappy fans...and I don't think he has that right...he can rip on the sportswriters all he wants for the negative press that the players got, but the sportswriters don't pay to get in, and therefore don't pay his salary. WE are ultimately the boss...and we vote with our dollars...so if he wants to create a larger pool of dollars for the players and the owners to share, he needs to start kissing up to the fans, because that is who is funding the realization of his dreams.
    BANNED OR DEAD...I'LL TAKE EITHER ONE

Ltrey33 is offline Jersey Retired

IMO, in saying that he wasn't a spoiled brat, he sounded exactly like a spoiled brat. I'm not a hockey fan, so I don't care. But I hope the league tanks, it would serve them right.

DarrinNelsonguy is offline Team Alumni

"ltrey33" wrote:
    IMO, in saying that he wasn't a spoiled brat, he sounded exactly like a spoiled brat. I'm not a hockey fan, so I don't care. But I hope the league tanks, it would serve them right.
    Those of us who love hockey do not want it to tank and yes it is a regional sport and the NHL needs to realize that and try to please those fans first before trying to attract new ones in the Southern U.S.
    "Hard work beats talent, when talent doesn t work hard."

MNVikingGangsta Guest

if any of you watched his interview on sportscenter he totally explains everything and talk about how this is just another case of ESPN spinning stuff the wrong way. he was asked what he would say to the fans that are calling him greddy, spoiled, ect.. i hate how espn and all media outlets do that. put in one little clip that will attract attention but don't put in the whole story.

Caine is offline Jersey Retired

"MNVikingGangsta" wrote:
    if any of you watched his interview on sportscenter he totally explains everything and talk about how this is just another case of ESPN spinning stuff the wrong way. he was asked what he would say to the fans that are calling him greddy, spoiled, ect.. i hate how espn and all media outlets do that. put in one little clip that will attract attention but don't put in the whole story.
    **sigh**

Gee, who would've thunk it. The Media spinning a story in order to generate controversy. I've never seen them pull that stunt before.

Roenick caught a bum rap on that one.

For those who think otherwise, look at what I'm seeing.

1: Roenick talks to the press about making the game and the fans higher in priority.

2: During Q&A - at the END - the Press asks about the people who have been calling the Players spoiled/selfish/etc.

3: Roenick blasts a small, specific group of individuals.

4: ESPN headline: "Roenick blasts fans".

Could Jeremy have couched his terms a bit better? Sure he could have. But he chose to lay it on the line. He shot from the hip and told the people who have been blasting the Players exactly what he thought of them. I can't blame him for that.

Face it, most of the people who are blasting the Players aren't hard core fans. they're casual watchers at best, and could probably name 6 players...4 of whom are no longer active. (NOTE: There is a difference between blasting the players and criticizing them)

Goodenow and Bettman are the ONLY reason that Hockey has fallen off the map.

CanadaViking hit some of the major points, although I'm not sure I 100% agree with his cause-effect points. IMO, the Expansion was too fast - the used the Expansion fees to keep the League afloat, that was why they added so many teams. The truth is, there is a LOT of talent out there. Europe and the former Soviet states are chock full of excellent players.

The reason for 4th line scrub players is Bettman's removal of fighting. Fighting added strategy to the game. It forced a cleaner, faster game. With the threat of Marty McSorley, Bob Probert, or Tie Domi removed, the cheap players run rampant. Bring back fighting, Bettman, you wuss!!!!

But, yes, the owners - through Bettman - dug their own graves. I can't blame the Players for not wanting to take a 30%+ pay cut...I know I wouldn't want to to save my job (Of course, my job sucks, and no one dreams of growing up and doing it, unlike being a Pro athlete).

Bottom line, replace Bettman and the League gets better...instantly. Then, while your at it, remove Goodenow as well. Start fresh on both sides. Then, remove the stupid rules (2-line pass springs to mind), bring back fighting, and watch the fans come back.

Caine

Del Rio Guest

What ever that interview said nothing at all. He is a joke. I watched his entire news conference and I watched his live interview and all I have to say is if you seriously bought into that garbage I'm sorry.

That was the worst backpeddal I have ever seen.

That being said, he hasn't done anything new. He basically said if you are a fan and you don't agree with him or like him to kiss his ass. And lots of athletes have said that. And it basically still makes him a guy to be considered for a dumb ass award.

Then he goes on live and tries to bully his innocence talking about his 14 minutes he spoke before. His tired repeated garbage that has been said 100 times. I have to ask if ESPN played the whole thing, and they did later that day, how does any of that make what he said at the end any more clear?

It doesn't.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12