Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    VKG4LFE is offline Jersey Retired Tetris Champion, Monkey GO Happy 4 Champion

Re: RK's trivia question

If it has anything to do with a cheesedick I could care less! Toughest trivia question we've ever had on here though!

I get the most pissed off looks from people with my VKG 4 LFE Wisconsin license plate, and I LOVE IT!!

singersp is offline PPO Newshound

"VKG4LFE" wrote:
    If it has anything to do with a cheesedick I could care less! Toughest trivia question we've ever had on here though!
    ??? No it isn't. It was solved in about 45 minutes.

Here's your toughest one..............

http://www.purplepride.org/index.php?option=com_smf&Itemid=88888912&topic=350 72.0

"If at first you don't succeed, parachuting is not for you"

VKG4LFE is offline Jersey Retired Tetris Champion, Monkey GO Happy 4 Champion

Oh, I guess I was just trying to make him feel better after the sconnie bashing I did!
    lol

I get the most pissed off looks from people with my VKG 4 LFE Wisconsin license plate, and I LOVE IT!!

RK.
    RK. is offline Ring of Fame Rally Cross II Champion

"x-ray" wrote:
    That is a picture of Alan Ameche presenting his Heisman trophy as a gift to athletic director Elroy Hirsch during halftime of the 1984 Northwestern v. Wisconsin game.
    Ding Ding Ding.
    Xrayjeff is correct.
    Honorable mention to Cojo for getting Crazy Legs Hirsch correct.

I ran across that pic looking for something else and found it interesting.
    I only knew about Hirsch when he was playing for the Rams when I was a kid.
    I didn't know much about Ameche till I was reading about that pic.

Alan Ameche was born Lino Dante Amici in Italy 1933. After emigrating to the United States in the late 1930s, his family returned for a year to Italy. The family then returned to Kenosha, Wisconsin. Alan was the cousin of noted actors Don Ameche and Jim Ameche. With colleague (and former Colts teammate) Gino Marchetti, Alan Ameche founded the Gino's Hamburgers chain. The Baltimore-based Ameche's drive-in restaurants were named for him. He died in Houston, Texas.

College career
    Ameche earned All-American honors at the University of Wisconsin, where he played linebacker as well as fullback in those single-platoon days. In four years as a Badger, he gained 3,212 yards, then the NCAA record, scored 25 touchdowns, and averaged 4.8 yards a carry. He won the Heisman in 1954. Ameche is one of four Wisconsin players whose number (35) has been retired, and one of three whose name and number appears on the Camp Randall Stadium façade (fellow Heisman winner Ron Dayne (No. 33) and Dave Schreiner (No. 80) are the others).

NFL career
    Ameche played fullback for the Baltimore Colts from 1955 until 1960. Named NFL Rookie of the Year in 1955, he was a four-time Pro Bowler (1955-58). He averaged 4.2 yard per carry over his career. He held the record for rushing yards in his first three NFL games until Carnell "Cadillac" Williams passed it in 2005.

Ameche may be best remembered for his role in the 1958 NFL Championship Game at Yankee Stadium, often cited as "The Greatest Game Ever Played." Ameche scored the winning touchdown for the Colts on a one-yard run in overtime as the Colts beat the Giants, 23-17.

Ameche finished a relatively short six-season NFL career with 4,045 rushing yards, 101 receptions for 733 yards and 44 touchdowns.

WWBGD

Marrdro is offline Beware My Spreadsheet, Bitches!

"x-ray" wrote:
    I heard Ameche also presented the Science Dept. one of those things Shockzilla's sister has, and they still haven't figured out what it is or what it's for. ;D
    Now thats funny.
    ;D
    Many many thanks to my talented friend Jos for the new Sig.http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v343/josdin00/Vikings/Marrdro_sig.jpg

cajunvike is offline Jersey Retired

"RK." wrote:
    "x-ray" wrote:
    That is a picture of Alan Ameche presenting his Heisman trophy as a gift to athletic director Elroy Hirsch during halftime of the 1984 Northwestern v. Wisconsin game.
    Ding Ding Ding.
    Xrayjeff is correct.
    Honorable mention to Cojo for getting Crazy Legs Hirsch correct.

I ran across that pic looking for something else and found it interesting.
    I only knew about Hirsch when he was playing for the Rams when I was a kid.
    I didn't know much about Ameche till I was reading about that pic.

Alan Ameche was born Lino Dante Amici in Italy 1933. After emigrating to the United States in the late 1930s, his family returned for a year to Italy. The family then returned to Kenosha, Wisconsin. Alan was the cousin of noted actors Don Ameche and Jim Ameche. With colleague (and former Colts teammate) Gino Marchetti, Alan Ameche founded the Gino's Hamburgers chain. The Baltimore-based Ameche's drive-in restaurants were named for him. He died in Houston, Texas.

College career
    Ameche earned All-American honors at the University of Wisconsin, where he played linebacker as well as fullback in those single-platoon days. In four years as a Badger, he gained 3,212 yards, then the NCAA record, scored 25 touchdowns, and averaged 4.8 yards a carry. He won the Heisman in 1954. Ameche is one of four Wisconsin players whose number (35) has been retired, and one of three whose name and number appears on the Camp Randall Stadium façade (fellow Heisman winner Ron Dayne (No. 33) and Dave Schreiner (No. 80) are the others).

NFL career
    Ameche played fullback for the Baltimore Colts from 1955 until 1960. Named NFL Rookie of the Year in 1955, he was a four-time Pro Bowler (1955-58). He averaged 4.2 yard per carry over his career. He held the record for rushing yards in his first three NFL games until Carnell "Cadillac" Williams passed it in 2005.

Ameche may be best remembered for his role in the 1958 NFL Championship Game at Yankee Stadium, often cited as "The Greatest Game Ever Played." Ameche scored the winning touchdown for the Colts on a one-yard run in overtime as the Colts beat the Giants, 23-17.

Ameche finished a relatively short six-season NFL career with 4,045 rushing yards, 101 receptions for 733 yards and 44 touchdowns.
    Tell him what he's won, RK!

"ONE DOLLAR" - from "Trading Places"
    ;D
    BANNED OR DEAD...I'LL TAKE EITHER ONE

RK.
    RK. is offline Ring of Fame Rally Cross II Champion

"cajunvike" wrote:

;D
    Better yet he has won a PPO dollar from DelRio.
    ;D

WWBGD

cajunvike is offline Jersey Retired

"RK." wrote:
    "cajunvike" wrote:

;D
    ;D
    Good luck collecting from that LOSER!
    BANNED OR DEAD...I'LL TAKE EITHER ONE

x-ray jeff is offline Coordinator

"RK." wrote:
    "cajunvike" wrote:

;D
    ;D
    Wow, I didn't think I would win anything-thanks!
    ;D
    I googled "Badger Alumni" and saw Ameche's name. I narrowed it down from there, and found the picture.

singersp is offline PPO Newshound

"RK." wrote:
    "cajunvike" wrote:

;D
    ;D
    Would that be in the form of one of those Del Rio dollars, the official currency of PP.O, that were so popular here awhile back?

http://www.purplepride.org/index.php?option=com_smf&Itemid=88888912&topic=142 26.0

"If at first you don't succeed, parachuting is not for you"

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast