Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    Vikes_King is offline Jersey Retired

Re: A Reminder of What We Can Be

"jessejames09" wrote:
    "The" wrote:
    "Schutz" wrote:
    "The" wrote:
    "Zeus" wrote:
    [quote author=ultravikingfan link=topic=43570.msg747530#msg747530 date=1206552666]
    [quote author=ItalianStallion link=topic=43570.msg747299#msg747299 date=1206538699]
    Hehe,

Remember the year the US had a good a hockey team?

Canada is and always be the best in the world!
    At one sport...wow.
    Don't forget curling!

=Z=
    And indoor lacrosse.
    And competitive Bacon making..............
    No fucking way. I will personally beat any national team at that sport all by myself, and I am not from Canada.
    [/quote]

Psshh with your girly american bacon.
    [/quote]

Hey.. say what you will about America... but don't fucking diss bacon.

Here in America, we call your "Canadian Bacon"... ham.
    lol

Too bad youtube is under maintenance, otherwise I'd post the video Jim Gaffigan talking about Bacon.. "its like the fairy dust of food"

http://vikesking.blogspot.com/

"We’ll win our own Super Bowl, with our own players. Real Vikings. Something Brett Favre can never be."

- Dan Calabrese

ItalianStallion is offline Jersey Retired

"ultravikingfan" wrote:
    "ItalianStallion" wrote:
    Hehe,

At one sport...wow.
    And the US is the best at so many? At what,
    Football?
    A sport almost exclusively North American?

In baseball you weren't even in the top 3 in the world baseball classic in 2006 (and even lost to Canada, and not many people here play baseball past little league).
    Japan won, and Cuba was the runner up.

In basketball Argentina won gold in Athens against Italy.
    Spain won the FIBA world championship against Greece.
    The US is no longer the unquestioned leader at basketball as it is becoming a increasingly international sport.

We have a population 10 times less than the US and are clearly the best country in the world at a fairly international sport, as we win the majority of international competition including the world junior championships, the hockey world championship, spengler cup, and the olympics (though last time was an aberration as we left some of our best players like Staal and Crosby off the team for chumps like Bertuzzi)

I m like a Ja Rule poster, cause I'm off the wall.

ultravikingfan is offline Administrator

"ItalianStallion" wrote:
    "ultravikingfan" wrote:
    "ItalianStallion" wrote:
    Hehe,

At one sport...wow.
    Football?

In baseball you weren't even in the top 3 in the world baseball classic in 2006 (and even lost to Canada, and not many people here play baseball past little league).

The US is no longer the unquestioned leader at basketball as it is becoming a increasingly international sport.

We have a population 10 times less than the US and are clearly the best country in the world at a fairly international sport, as we win the majority of international competition including the world junior championships, the hockey world championship, spengler cup, and the olympics (though last time was an aberration as we left some of our best players like Staal and Crosby off the team for chumps like Bertuzzi)
    It's funny how you pick and choose what you want here...like Basketball.

Answer me this, who won the gold in hockey at the last Olympics?

Schutz is offline Team Alumni

"ItalianStallion" wrote:
    "ultravikingfan" wrote:
    "ItalianStallion" wrote:
    Hehe,

At one sport...wow.
    Football?

We have a population 10 times less than the US and are clearly the best country in the world at a fairly international sport.
    That's not true.
    It's mostly because the U.S. doesn't take international competition seriously most the time.
    Most the time the "all star" teams that play in the olympics and what not aren't even our best player, it's just some folks who volenteered to play and compared to other countries have played very little together.
    If you took a TEAM like the Red Sox and just entered the Red Sox into world baseball events I bet you they'd do alot better than other teams we put out.
    Look at basketball, you take a team like this years Boston Celtics or the Lakers with Kobe and Shaq back in the day and you have a different story.

The rest of the world take world events seriously, the U.S. sees it has a side show that isn't as important as U.S. leagues.

Not to mention how many gold medals does the U.S. win at every Olympics?

"Schutz" wrote:
    "ItalianStallion" wrote:
    "ultravikingfan" wrote:
    "ItalianStallion" wrote:
    Hehe,

At one sport...wow.
    Football?

We have a population 10 times less than the US and are clearly the best country in the world at a fairly international sport.
    That's not true.
    It's mostly because the U.S. doesn't take international competition seriously most the time.
    Most the time the "all star" teams that play in the olympics and what not aren't even our best player, it's just some folks who volenteered to play and compared to other countries have played very little together.
    If you took a TEAM like the Red Sox and just entered the Red Sox into world baseball events I bet you they'd do alot better than other teams we put out.
    Look at basketball, you take a team like this years Boston Celtics or the Lakers with Kobe and Shaq back in the day and you have a different story.

The rest of the world take world events seriously, the U.S. sees it has a side show that isn't as important as U.S. leagues.

Oh I don't question that the US does well at the Olympics, but I'm mostly referring to organized team competition, not individual awards (like track or swimming etc., which coincidentally, I find boring, haha)

You can't simply take teams from American leagues because not all those players are American.
    Similarly, most professional teams in any sport would do well in an international competition where other teams are composed of players not used to playing together. Not every country gets to field a perfect team, as certain players do have other priorities, however it seems as though in basketball the American team is usually composed of many all-star players even in recent competition.

If American players are not patriotic enough to participate in these competitions, then I can certainly understand why you'd want to remember the 1980 team for "what you can be".

Although we did poorly at the Olympics last year, we won it the olympics before, and win most other international competition on a fairly regular basis.

Vikes_King is offline Jersey Retired

"ItalianStallion" wrote:
    "Schutz" wrote:
    "ItalianStallion" wrote:
    "ultravikingfan" wrote:
    "ItalianStallion" wrote:
    Hehe,

At one sport...wow.
    Football?

That's not true.

Oh I don't question that the US does well at the Olympics, but I'm mostly referring to organized team competition, not individual awards (like track or swimming etc., which coincidentally, I find boring, haha)

You can't simply take teams from American leagues because not all those players are American.
    Similarly, most professional teams in any sport would do well in an international competition where other teams are composed of players not used to playing together. Not every country gets to field a perfect team, as certain players do have other priorities, however it seems as though in basketball the American team is usually composed of many all-star players even in recent competition.

If American players are not patriotic enough to participate in these competitions, then I can certainly understand why you'd want to remember the 1980 team for "what you can be".

Although we did poorly at the Olympics last year, we won it the olympics before, and win most other international competition on a fairly regular basis.
    it has nothing to do with how patriotic our players are, and its a little offensive that you'd suggest so.
    The big thing about most, not all, of our athletes, is that they're already actively engaged in the American leagues, like other people have said.
    Its not exactly easy to be actively engaged and participating in two teams.. kind of takes a toll on the body and mind.

Plus putting together these "All-Star Teams" is a really flawed way of trying to get our teams to play at a high calibur, its kind of like the Pro Bowl in the NFL.. sure you have the (arguably) best players around at the time, but at times a lot of them don't play well, since they have such little time to become accustomed to the team and plays.

I know not all countries have highly competitive leagues for every sport, which is why they can focus more on the international matches and such.
    Like for example, Minnesota is a small state (population wise), but we have a professional Football, Soccer, Hockey, Basketball (mens and womens), and Baseball team..

http://vikesking.blogspot.com/

"We’ll win our own Super Bowl, with our own players. Real Vikings. Something Brett Favre can never be."

- Dan Calabrese

ultravikingfan is offline Administrator

"ItalianStallion" wrote:
    "Schutz" wrote:
    "ItalianStallion" wrote:
    "ultravikingfan" wrote:
    "ItalianStallion" wrote:
    Hehe,

At one sport...wow.
    Football?

That's not true.

Likewise, up until the last few Olympics we have dominated forever in basketball.
    Way to skew things in your favor.

haha, all I'm saying is Canada dominates international hockey like the US used to dominate at international basketball.

Mikecarter81 is offline Coordinator

"ItalianStallion" wrote:
    "ultravikingfan" wrote:
    "ItalianStallion" wrote:
    Hehe,

At one sport...wow.
    Football?

True, but we wihn in the most important game.
    Tactical nuclear war.
    Thus every other sport is shallow in comparison!
    ;D
    I am an avid Viking fan, but also am an avid restoration guy of vintage Mopar(Chrysler, Dodge, Plymouth)B bodies

"Mikecarter81" wrote:

True, but we wihn in the most important game.
    Tactical nuclear war.
    Thus every other sport is shallow in comparison!
    ;D
    Haha, biological warfare is the new nuclear warfare.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast