Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    BadlandsVikings is offline Jersey Retired

Red Rover, Red Rover, tag's all over

: :
    [size=50pt]GOOD GRIEF[/size]

COLORADO SPRINGS, Colo. - An elementary school has banned tag on its playground after some children complained they were harassed or chased against their will.

"It causes a lot of conflict on the playground," said Cindy Fesgen, assistant principal of the Discovery Canyon Campus school.

Running games are still allowed as long as students don't chase each other, she said.

Fesgen said two parents complained to her about the ban but most parents and children didn't object.

In 2005, two elementary schools in the nearby Falcon School District did away with tag and similar games in favor of alternatives with less physical contact. School officials said the move encouraged more students to play games and helped reduce playground squabbles.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20070829/ap_on_fe_st/odd_tag_banned

COJOMAY is offline Jersey Retired

Re: Red Rover, Red Rover, tag's all over

We're turning this nation into a bunch of whimpering, sniveling, little brats with no backbone.
    Kentucky Vikes Fan

When you require nothing, you get nothing; when you expect nothing, you will find nothing; when you embrace nothing, all you will have is nothing.

BloodyHorns82 is offline Jersey Retired Feed The Frog Champion

"COJOMAY" wrote:
    We're turning this nation into a bunch of whimpering, sniveling, little brats with no backbone.
    You can say that again...this is getting embarrassing.

Mr Anderson is offline Jersey Retired

First they take away chicken fights (Hanging off the monkey bars kicking eachother until someone falls)
    Then they took away chicken fights #2 (sitting on someone's shoulders, punching someone on someone elses shoulders til someone falls)

Looking back at it, I understand completely why these were banned... but in elementary school I was PISSED.

Then they ban dodgeball when I was in 7th grade and I was just mad... it's a classic game.

Now TAG!? TAG!! HA!!

Just a further example of the pussification of America.

jessejames09 is offline Ring of Fame

What do the kids do at recess?

Have a smoke break?

BadlandsVikings is offline Jersey Retired

"Mr" wrote:
    First they take away chicken fights (Hanging off the monkey bars kicking eachother until someone falls)
    Then they took away chicken fights #2 (sitting on someone's shoulders, punching someone on someone elses shoulders til someone falls)

Looking back at it, I understand completely why these were banned... but in elementary school I was PISSED.

Then they ban dodgeball when I was in 7th grade and I was just mad... it's a classic game.

Now TAG!? TAG!! HA!!

Just a further example of the pussification of America.
    Yeah I found out last year at my old grade school they banned king on the mountain in the winter because the kids would get wet from the snow and pushing people causes violence.

shockzilla is offline PPO Ambassador
    Blog Entries

I agree with Cojo - what the HELL is this country coming to???
    PPO Ambassador, Defender of the Purple Faith and Guardian of the Gates of Valhalla

PurplePeopleEaters is offline Jersey Retired

I think it's less about the physical contact of tag and more about the nerds being picked on by the bullies. I notice that only 2 parents objected to the banning. I'm not going to jump all over this and say our nation is turning into pussies until I get the full story. If kids were getting into fights over their tag game, how can a school administration sit back and not ban it especially when the parents are essentially all for the ban? No need to blow this out of proportion IMO.

COJOMAY is offline Jersey Retired

But it's not just this. This is the LATEST in a string of wusses getting their feelings hurt so let's stop playing it. Remember when they stopped using RED MARKS on papers because it made students feel bad. So they used "prettier" colors.
    I think at the root cause of it is so many divorced parents and children living with mothers only that the boys aren't getting enough "manliness" in their lives and their mothers are over protective.
    Kentucky Vikes Fan

When you require nothing, you get nothing; when you expect nothing, you will find nothing; when you embrace nothing, all you will have is nothing.

PurplePeopleEaters is offline Jersey Retired

"COJOMAY" wrote:
    But it's not just this. This is the LATEST in a string of wusses getting their feelings hurt so let's stop playing it. Remember when they stopped using RED MARKS on papers because it made students feel bad. So they used "prettier" colors.
    I think at the root cause of it is so many divorced parents and children living with mothers only that the boys aren't getting enough "manliness" in their lives and their mothers are over protective.
    But I think this is a separate case. Yeah, not having red marks on paper is extremely stupid. Banning tag because kids are being picked on makes sense. If I was a teacher and I saw a few kids getting picked on entirely based on the game tag, I would either sit down with the kids causing the problem or I would ban it. If the ban gets rid of the problem then thats a good thing. If not, then it's a deeper issue and I would allow the kids to play tag again.

IMO the divorced parent thing is jumping to conclusions a bit. We don't know if these kids are raised by their moms or not. There are plenty of "manly" people that I know who were raised by their mom.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast