Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234
    UKVikingMike is offline Training Camp

Re: Recycling is bad for the envoronment!

Jeremy are you some kind of oil tycoon or something? not read so much BS in a while, i can only think you personally profit from garbage collection or something. Whats next sucking on exhaust pipes is good for you?

Jeremy is offline Starter

"singersp" wrote:
    "Jeremy" wrote:
    "singersp" wrote:
    You may think it's just as simple as planting another tree in the ground but it's not that simple.

A tree does not grow overnight, If we use paper & wood at a faster rate then we can replenish it, then our forests will eventually be raped & bare.

I'm not a tree hugger by any stretch of the word, but recycling makes sense. As mentioned before, we just need to find a more econmical means of recycling it.

All plastics including those used to produce the clothes on your back are made from petrochemicals derived from oil & we all know what a precious commodity that is.

Recycling makes sense no matter how you slice it.
    We don't have economical or efficient means of recycling. It's forced on us. It has to be subsidized by the government. It takes more energy to make a plastic bottle from scratch than is does to make plastic from other plastic bottles. Untill someone finds a way to recycle paper, and plastic much efficeintly it does more harm than it does good.

We are not going to "run out of trees". Trees are a renewable resource. They anticipate the demand of paper and plant trees accordingly. Why is that so hard of a concept to grasp? There are more trees now than there was 50 years ago.

Oil isn't that important. We are not going to complaetly run out of it ever. Eventually it will become scarce the price will skyrocket. We'll be forced to find an alternate fuel, thank god. No more invading the Middle East.

Hydrogen or ethanol are the most two likely alternatives. The exhaust from a hydrogen burning engine is H2O, or water. Ethonal burns cleaner than oil based fuels and comes from a renewable resource, corn. Are we going to run out of corn too if and when we start using it as an alternate fuel? I think they'll just grow more corn like they do with trees.
    True, trees are a replinishable source. But are we replenishing them faster than we are using wood & paper products. It takes years for a single tree to grow.

Are you telling me we use less wood & paper that that tree would produce over the course of the years it takes to grow it?

Do you have any source that backs up your claim that we have more trees today then we did 50 years ago?

You also missed my point on oil as well. Not only is oil used for fuel. All plastics are made from oil. When the price skrockets & becomes scarce how will you make plastic & at what cost?
    It would actually be WORTH recycling then, but were not at that point are we.

Are we running out of trees in the U.S.?

No; in fact, there are more trees in the U.S. today than there were 70 years ago.

How many trees are planted each year in the U.S.?

Over 2 ½ billion trees are planted in the U.S. each year. The forest community plants over 1 ½ billion of these trees; that's an average of 4 million new trees planted every day by the forest community. Millions more trees regrow from seeds and sprout naturally.

Are we cutting down more trees in the U.S. than we're planting?

No. In fact, forest growth has exceeded harvests since the 1940s.
    Source

"UKVikingMike" wrote:
    Jeremy are you some kind of oil tycoon or something? not read so much BS in a while, i can only think you personally profit from garbage collection or something. Whats next sucking on exhaust pipes is good for you?
    I don't like relying on oil. It's not a renewable resource. It was a bad idea to start using it in the first place.

I've worked at: Wal Mart, Cub Foods, Kohls, an insulation comapny and as a commerical roofer. I wold not directly profit from an increase the amount of garbage being put in a landfill. Currently I am going to school for Web Programmimg.

"vikes09" wrote:
    its going to cost to dig up a spot big enough to put our excess paper in the ground.

we should just take a big valley in the middle of Nepal, and put all our paper there. just dump it down there. im sure nepalions :???: wont mind.
    It's A LOT cheaper to just bury garbage vs. recycle it. Everyone knows that. Unless it's aluminum or cardboard, just throw it away.

adamv is offline Rookie

http://www.fia.fs.fed.us/library/briefings-summaries-overviews/docs/ForestFactsMetric.pdf
    Clutter reducing sig here...
    Many Viking fans wouldn t know a good thing if it mooned the Pack.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234