Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    LAVike is offline Pro-Bowler

Re: Recycling is bad for the envoronment!

Man, this is the same B.S. as "coffee's good for you, no wait . . . coffee's now bad for you!" Or better yet, "cigarettes have been clinically proven to REDUCE your chance of cancer." Who the heck knows anything for sure. You can pay any doctor or scientist enough money (anyone can be bought for the right price) and have them say "blending puppies, with a dash of motor oil has been shown to increase your libido." This just goes to show that NO ONE knows anything for sure!
    "Veni, Vidi, Vikings!"--Julius Caesar

Mr Anderson is offline Jersey Retired

I'm pretty sure conservation and recycling have no real drawbacks, besides maybe the pollution from the junkyard equipment used in the process.

This is a stupid thread.

Ltrey33 is offline Jersey Retired

"LAVike" wrote:
    Man, this is the same B.S. as "coffee's good for you, no wait . . . coffee's now bad for you!" Or better yet, "cigarettes have been clinically proven to REDUCE your chance of cancer." Who the heck knows anything for sure. You can pay any doctor or scientist enough money (anyone can be bought for the right price) and have them say "blending puppies, with a dash of motor oil has been shown to increase your libido." This just goes to show that NO ONE knows anything for sure!
    Pretty sure I saw an ad for that on a website...

Jeremy is offline Starter

"Mr Anderson" wrote:
    I'm pretty sure conservation and recycling have no real drawbacks, besides maybe the pollution from the junkyard equipment used in the process.
    The pollution of smoke from recycling paper. The chemical sludge that's left behind. The energy and ecomoncal costs of sorting everyone's garbage. Transporting it two to five times before it's made into some kind of useable product.

It takes less energy to make a new plastic bottles vs. making one from scratch.

Welcome to the 21st century where we grow trees on farms for the sole purpose of cutting them down for wood pulp to make paper. If you want more trees, waste more paper. The demand for paper goes up. More trees are planted to meet the economical need.

What's so bad about cutting down a tree for paper that was planted on a farm for that purpose in the first place? I don't see anyone putting up a stink over farmers cutting down corn stalks to harvest their crop.

What's so great about spending 8 billion dollars of everyones tax money annually on something that does more harm than good?

40% of everything we put into recycling bins is incinerated. I'd rather it go into a landfill then pollute the air.

Mr Anderson is offline Jersey Retired

"Jeremy" wrote:
    "Mr Anderson" wrote:
    The pollution of smoke from recycling paper. The chemical sludge that's left behind. The energy and ecomoncal costs of sorting everyone's garbage. Transporting it two to five times before it's made into some kind of useable product.

It takes less energy to make a new plastic bottles vs. making one from scratch.

Welcome to the 21st century where we grow trees on farms for the sole purpose of cutting them down for wood pulp to make paper. If you want more trees, waste more paper. The demand for paper goes up. More trees are planted to meet the economical need.

What's so bad about cutting down a tree for paper that was planted on a farm for that purpose in the first place? I don't see anyone putting up a stink over farmers cutting down corn stalks to harvest their crop.

What's so great about spending 8 billion dollars of everyones tax money annually on something that does more harm than good?

40% of everything we put into recycling bins is incinerated. I'd rather it go into a landfill then pollute the air.
    Maybe I was wrong.

minvikes01 is offline Pro-Bowler

bs, plain and simple

Thanks to PPE for the awesome Sig.

vikinggreg is offline Ring of Fame

"Jeremy" wrote:
    All the answers to "please explain how trees are renewable" and why the cutting of trees and the logging industry is actually NOT bad can be found there. It's a long essay, but read on, and pay attention to page 12 and on. Most deforestation does NOT come from logging or the cutting of trees for paper. Nay, but it comes from FARMING. Yeah, that's right. For all you vegetarians out there, the veggies that you all love and eat is grown on a farm where they had to chop down trees and STOP their growth to plant all the cabbages and beets that you so love to eat. Yeah, meat comes from farms like this too, but the point is, the mere fact that we all have to LIVE and eat (whether it be vegetable or meat), is one of the biggest causes of deforestation.
    Link

It's written by Patrick Moore, FORMER president and cofounder of GREENPEACE.
    Moore got the boot from green peace and is now a paid lobbyist, and the clear cuts here in BC aren't to grow cabbage or to raise cattle on the mountains. Unless you want to search for the beet farms on Vancouver Island.

top ten lies by Patrick Moore

BadlandsVikings is online now Jersey Retired

"Mr Anderson" wrote:

This is a stupid thread.
    I second that thought, this is a waste of space.

BradTheMan14 is offline Starter

this serious no joke dont recycle it are bad for yous. plus it are no good for its earth and it are unhealthy to waste energy and do that leave its
    Q: At your age, can you handle a full season?
    A: I m 37, number one. I took my family to Perkins a couple of days ago, and they didn t hand me a senior citizens discount card, so I feel pretty good.
    (Brad Johnson at an interview before the start of the season)

Jeremy is offline Starter

New York is but the latest of a growing number of cities that have found the cost of recycling garbage is far, far greater than the costs of simply dumping it.
    In fact, recycling is almost certainly worse for the environment than landfilling. After all, the process of extracting usable raw material from a manufactured product is an industrial activity every bit as involved as the process of combining various raw materials to manufacture a product in the first place. Both processes are energy and chemically intensive. And both create waste.

Recycling 100 tons of old newsprint, for instance, generates tons of toxic waste. Is this consequential? Sure. The Environmental Protection Agency reported some years ago that 13 of America's 50 worst Superfund sites are or were recycling facilities
    If it makes sense, subsidies aren’t needed.

When recycling makes economic sense, government doesn't have to mandate it or subsidize it. Somebody in the private sector will be happy to pay you for your garbage or, alternatively, charge you less for recycling services than for landfilling services. If people want to recycle regardless—simply because it makes them feel better about themselves—that's their right. But let them spend their own time and money to do it.
    Source

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast