Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    cajunvike is offline Jersey Retired

Re: record oil profits!

"ultravikingfan" wrote:
    "cajunvike" wrote:
    But seriously, why is ANYONE surprised by this?
    You are a smart man, you know the answer to this.

**kicking myself for getting involved in a politcal thread**
    I may not be a smart man...but I know what price gouging is! - George W. Gump
    BANNED OR DEAD...I'LL TAKE EITHER ONE

TARKenton is offline Asst. Coach

The only people to blame for this are motorists. When gas was affordable, there were alot more fuel efficient cars on the road. Nowadays, there is an SUV or super size pick up truck at every street light. Think about how many H2's, Navigators, Excursions, Suburbans, etc. we are seeing on the road today that get 10-12 mpg and have massive tanks. There are also more motorists in general on the roads, increased population. The oil companies are sitting on gold and they know it. Cant say i agree with them molesting us, but i dont blame them. Just think though, a gallon of gas in europe is equal to about $6 US per gallon. Could be worse. We are too reliant on fossil fuels and prices will continue to stay high until an acceptable alternative is implemented.
    ...Rodgers had to hold on the ball longer, giving players like Jared "I am completely insane and will literally eat your children" Allen time to sack Rodgers again.And again. And again. Actually I think Rodgers may have nightmares about Jared Allen the rest of the year.

ultravikingfan is offline Administrator

"cajunvike" wrote:
    And boy, have they!!! All those BS excuses for raising prices are exposed...it was said that for prices to be at the level that they are, the price for a barrel of oil would have to be around $92.00 a barrel...and this was when it was around $60.00 a barrel. I stick by my guns that the oil companies are engaging in near-monopolistic price gouging...the government should step in and regulate this to some extent (fat chance)...this is another Enron California debaucle waiting to happen!
    Yes, I will not argue about the monopolistic characteristics concerning the oil companies. The problem is that one company buys another company, then another and so on. Then, you have fewer companies and they almost do whatever they want.

Do we really want government to always have to step in with everything? I do not like the price of gas either (I get 11 mpg too). Honestly, regardless of the president, the oil companies have tremendous political pull. They are major contributors to many in Congress; both Democrat and Republican.

V4L
    V4L is offline Jersey Retired

"ultravikingfan" wrote:
    "Vikez4Lyfe" wrote:
    I see why Zim is mad.. People are struggling to pay 2.50 a gallon.. But the oil companys are making record profits and could care less who can't afford gas.. They could easily build a new refinery if they wanted im sure.. I don't look into gas/oil issues at all really, but if they are making so much money I bet they could have one built in a couple years
    Just because they are charging more at the pump does not necessarly (sp) mean that they are having record profits. They are a ton of other variable associated with that.

Easily build a refinery? No. How can you say you do not look into the gas and oil issues but say they can easily build a new one? Have you ever seen a refinery? The are immense...big bucks there.

I posted a lot of info when we had this discussion before. I will look for the links so I can help educate the public.

I never said they could easily build one for sure.. I said since I don't look into this kind of stuff at all im not sure.. But if they are making outrageous profits they might be able too.. I apologize it wasn't worded well at all.. The gas prices are crazy though.. I'm not sure why.. Im actually interested in reading about this sort of thing right now..

"TARKenton" wrote:
    The only people to blame for this are motorists. When gas was affordable, there were alot more fuel efficient cars on the road. Nowadays, there is an SUV or super size pick up truck at every street light. Think about how many H2's, Navigators, Excursions, Suburbans, etc. we are seeing on the road today that get 10-12 mpg and have massive tanks. There are also more motorists in general on the roads, increased population. The oil companies are sitting on gold and they know it. Cant say i agree with them molesting us, but i dont blame them. Just think though, a gallon of gas in europe is equal to about $6 US per gallon. Could be worse. We are too reliant on fossil fuels and prices will continue to stay high until an acceptable alternative is implemented.
    Good angle Tark.

People will stop buying bug SUVS and the automobile companies will have to really hit the drawing boards.

Also, Toyota and Honda are so far ahead of us with hybrid technology. The management of American car companies have always lagged the Japanese. They are struggling to get into the market. Toyota has a 4-6 waiting list for there cars.

"ultravikingfan" wrote:
    Are you gonna actually speak with intelligence on this or what? Do you know anything about economics? I highly doubt it.

So, I am not going to add my Economics 101 here because you would not understand.
    Wow Ultra....gosh forbid someone tries to express some frustration on a very sore subject with just about everyone...and you get up on your high horse and just hammer away on them. Nice.

DCPologirl is offline Team Alumni

"6-KINGS" wrote:
    God forbid anyone should make money in a free market.
    Do you want them to just break even?
    Just be in the oil buisness for the fun of it?
    Wanna regulate how much someone can make?
    That is scarey.........

Come on Zim.............

Maybe they will open new oil fields, build new refineries, hire more American oil workers and to top that off they will generate more tax revenues.
    Here in Texas we have billions of extra dollars for the state to spend on public works, schools, highways and police.

This is how it works.

And remember if gas had kept up with inflation since 1980, it would be $3.30 a gallon. And that is just keeping pace with annual inflation increases.
    So gas is really about where it should be in our indexed economy.
    Just my take

6-kings

That's what gas prices are here already.

DCPologirl:Maybe Randy will make Aaron Brooks look better......roflmao Del Rio: I guarantee he will

I am here to educate. Read some of these links, they explain a lot:

http://www.fueleconomy.gov/feg/gasprices/faq.shtml

http://www.gasandoil.com/goc/news/ntn42472.htm

If you compare all the factors of the economy, wages, etc as a percentage...we are paying less then we were in the 80's.

And what peeves me more is Zim started a thread like this before and it got ugly. Gas prices are lower now as opposed to when he was starting pooh before.

snowinapril is offline Jersey Retired

I am not as upset with the Gas Companies as I am with the Car Companies and the consumers.

Why is it that now, we are finally seeing a push for more Hybrids and possibilities for decreasing the consumption of gas per person.

Like 6-King said, basically, we should feel lucky that we paid so little for gas for so long.

Like Tark said, the motorists are somewhat too blame for buying so many vehicles that get 8-12 miles to the gallon to go back and forth to work(not on the farm) in the city.

"bleedpurple27" wrote:
    "ultravikingfan" wrote:
    Are you gonna actually speak with intelligence on this or what? Do you know anything about economics? I highly doubt it.

So, I am not going to add my Economics 101 here because you would not understand.
    Wow Ultra....gosh forbid someone tries to express some frustration on a very sore subject with just about everyone...and you get up on your high horse and just hammer away on them. Nice.
    Gosh person I hardly know...zim is here to start poo; plain and simple.

He has started a lot of really disgusting threads in the past and just wants to see reactions and members go at it. Many of these threads you are not aware of because I or another mod deleted them. He has had such stuff as sex with kids, racism, and babies being killed. Where does it end?

I am on here everyday and have a good feel for what goes on around here. High horse? No, not at all. He has started this same thread before, just looking to stir the pot.

And, I was giving the go ahead by webby to ban zim for the posts he has made that have been deleted. I said we would give him one more chance. So really, I am the reason he is still here.

But thanks for your input. I am sure there is a good chance you will not reply to this but I would like for you to do so.

Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast