Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Results 11 to 20 of 21
  1. #11
    Del Rio Guest

    Re: The real meaning!!

    "tarkenton10" wrote:
    The article you found Del may not explain it that well either.
    He is usuing logic in this century to explain actions centuries ago.
    He is making a logical HYPOTHESIS but no evidence.
    The problem is back then everyone was not as logical as we are today.
    The paranoid feelings of cathilocs in England at the time cannot be gaged!!
    Most people would logically think that no witches were burned in Salem if you had no evidence and were looking at the people of that time.
    We now know witches can not possess people and even if they could you can't tell who a witch would be by throwing them in water to see if they float.
    He logically tries to explain away the song and he may be correct.
    But he uses no evidence but rather logic.
    That can not always be the right path when talking about people who were frightened and paranoid because anyone could turn them in for heiracy.
    Friends, family, neighbors and enemies anyone with a reason could report you and the magistrate can just take you away.
    They were allowed to walk into your home and comb the place for anything believed sacriligious.
    So the article may be true but he gave no evidence that story he tries to discredit is false.
    He basically uses logic and then gives HIS Opinion.
    Is the first one I posted true I don't know after reading Del's article I am more skepticle but I am not convinced about Del's article either.



    I'll stick with Snopes they give facts on what is going on in england at that time and sources to those facts.

    It doesn't matter at all.

    I'm a skeptic at heart especially when it comes to chain e-mails like this. Wouldn't have been that great of a code considering since 1998 the wording has been changed in the e-mail numerous times.

    Anywho always three sides to a story.

  2. #12
    Del Rio Guest

    Re: The real meaning!!

    "Freya" wrote:
    Hey, It's just a song. A rather repetitive song, but nonetheless a song. I personally enjoy singing it during the holidays. I also rather enjoy the meaningless folly of it and plan on keeping it thus. Tradition, you understand.

    As for snopes.........talk about being baffled with BS! What is said there may well have validity to it, but I felt a little abused after reading that article. LOL

    The one sparkling truth is that there really are 12 days of Chrismas.
    BS that is backed up with sources.

  3. #13
    NodakPaul's Avatar
    NodakPaul is offline Jersey Retired
    Join Date
    Dec 1969
    Location
    West Fargo, ND
    Posts
    17,602
    Blog Entries
    1

    Re: The real meaning!!

    I tend to respect the findings in snopes.
    They are pretty good about declaring something true if they find proof as well, or even declaring it partially true or at lease uncertain if it is plausible.
    Zeus wrote:
    When are you going to realize that picking out the 20 bad throws this year and ignoring the 300 good ones does not make your point?

    =Z=

  4. #14
    tarkenton10's Avatar
    tarkenton10 is offline Star Spokesman
    Join Date
    Dec 1969
    Posts
    2,200

    Re: The real meaning!!

    Facts such as......In case you don't recall the puritans were harrassed and threatened with jail.
    They were arrested before they went to Holland and evetually sailed to America (The Thanksgiving story).
    So what facts are you talking about!
    Both sides have basically stated that there is no conclusive evidence!
    The paragraph below is from an earlier post.
    Many sites have a paragraph such as this.
    It basically says either side has no eivdence to persuade someone one way or the other.
    So if you prefer Snopes that is your choice but there is no substantial evidence to enlighten many like me.
    No that I totally believe the other way either.
    I find this debate rahter interesting and an enigma, I am not sure a totally unbiased person would know which one is correct.
    But Merry Christams!!! ;D




    However, many have questioned the historical accuracy of this origin of the song The Twelve Days of Christmas.
    It seems that some have made an issue out of trying to debunk this as an "urban myth," some in the name of historical accuracy and some out of personal agendas.
    There is little "hard" evidence available either way.
    Some church historians affirm this account as basically accurate, while others point out apparent historical discrepancies. However, the "evidence" on both sides is mostly in logical deduction and probabilities.
    One internet site devoted to debunking hoaxes and legends says that, "there is no substantive evidence to demonstrate that the song 'The Twelve Days of Christmas' was created or used as a secret means of preserving tenets of the Catholic faith, or that this claim is anything but a fanciful modern day speculation. . .."
    What is omitted is that there is no "substantive evidence" that will disprove it either.

    There s only two things stopping you - fear and common sense!! The Truth you CAN"T HANDLE THE TRUTH!!!!!!!!

  5. #15
    NodakPaul's Avatar
    NodakPaul is offline Jersey Retired
    Join Date
    Dec 1969
    Location
    West Fargo, ND
    Posts
    17,602
    Blog Entries
    1

    Re: The real meaning!!

    What is omitted is that there is no "substantive evidence" that will disprove it either.

    Is the burden of proof on those trying to debunk it, or on those trying to claim it is factual?


    Or since there is no proof one way or the other, is it both true and false at the same time like some kind of Schrödinger's state (google Schrödinger's cat for more info)?
    Zeus wrote:
    When are you going to realize that picking out the 20 bad throws this year and ignoring the 300 good ones does not make your point?

    =Z=

  6. #16
    Del Rio Guest

    Re: The real meaning!!

    "tarkenton10" wrote:
    Facts such as......In case you don't recall the puritans were harrassed and threatened with jail.
    They were arrested before they went to Holland and evetually sailed to America (The Thanksgiving story).
    So what facts are you talking about!
    Both sides have basically stated that there is no conclusive evidence!
    The paragraph below is from an earlier post.
    Many sites have a paragraph such as this.
    It basically says either side has no eivdence to persuade someone one way or the other.
    So if you prefer Snopes that is your choice but there is no substantial evidence to enlighten many like me.
    No that I totally believe the other way either.
    I find this debate rahter interesting and an enigma, I am not sure a totally unbiased person would know which one is correct.
    But Merry Christams!!! ;D




    However, many have questioned the historical accuracy of this origin of the song The Twelve Days of Christmas.
    It seems that some have made an issue out of trying to debunk this as an "urban myth," some in the name of historical accuracy and some out of personal agendas.
    There is little "hard" evidence available either way.
    Some church historians affirm this account as basically accurate, while others point out apparent historical discrepancies. However, the "evidence" on both sides is mostly in logical deduction and probabilities.
    One internet site devoted to debunking hoaxes and legends says that, "there is no substantive evidence to demonstrate that the song 'The Twelve Days of Christmas' was created or used as a secret means of preserving tenets of the Catholic faith, or that this claim is anything but a fanciful modern day speculation. . .."
    What is omitted is that there is no "substantive evidence" that will disprove it either.
    Well I was commenting on all the many sources at the bottom of the page, the links to the Catholic dictionary and other direct links to the history of catholosizm. The meat and potatoes if you will of the argument which is a lot more convincing IMO.

    Either way like many have mentioned it is just a song. I do not want to argue, the link is there and if someone wants it to mean that and it makes them have a better christmas have at it. If you want to know more about history then a chain letter then the link gives sources to do your own research.

    Either way everyone is happy.

  7. #17
    Freya's Avatar
    Freya is offline Team Alumni
    Join Date
    Dec 1969
    Location
    Atlantis
    Posts
    2,456

    Re: The real meaning!!

    "Del" wrote:
    "Freya" wrote:
    Hey, It's just a song. A rather repetitive song, but nonetheless a song. I personally enjoy singing it during the holidays. I also rather enjoy the meaningless folly of it and plan on keeping it thus. Tradition, you understand.

    As for snopes.........talk about being baffled with BS! What is said there may well have validity to it, but I felt a little abused after reading that article. LOL

    The one sparkling truth is that there really are 12 days of Chrismas.
    BS that is backed up with sources.
    I agree!

    Certainly BS backed up with sources is much better than BS with nothing to back it up. ;D





    [size=2pt]I agree totally that it maybe quite valid. I just though the article was redundant and tiresome. And FWIW I am no zealot. Frankly I couldn't care less what the song means. No offense intended to you.[/size]






    Personally, I don't think there is intelligent life on other planets. Why should other planets be any different from this one?

  8. #18
    Join Date
    Dec 1969
    Posts
    91

    Re: The real meaning!!

    i dont know much about this but i remember in my history of western civ class last year that King Henry the VIII was a catholic and then due to marriage problems that the pope wouldnt let him get out of he made his own protistent church, after killing many wives and having two daughters and one sickly son he died. his son took the throne at a young age and died shortly after, then his oldest daughter Mary took power.
    she was a catholic and changed england back to catholism and killed alot of people for being protistent in fact that may be where the term "bloody mary" came from.
    After she died in 1558 her sister Queen Elizabeth I took the throne who she had locked in a dungon(im not making this up i swear) and she switched it back to protistent only she was also tolerent of catholics so im guessing that story is just another chain email.
    but anyway thats probebly in the snopes thing but i never bothered to ready it but if its not check it anyway, you cant make this stuff up.


    on an interesting side note im techinially barred from holding public office in i think 6 states because of my religious beliefs.

  9. #19
    aceclown is offline Coach
    Join Date
    Dec 1969
    Posts
    948

    Re: The real meaning!!

    12 drugs of christmas is where it's at if you ask me.


    Chuch.

  10. #20
    VKG4LFE's Avatar
    VKG4LFE is offline Jersey Retired Tetris Champion, Monkey GO Happy 4 Champion
    Join Date
    Dec 1969
    Location
    Hartford, WI
    Posts
    15,994

    Re: The real meaning!!

    Huh, that adds new meaning to the song now!

    I get the most pissed off looks from people with my VKG 4 LFE Wisconsin license plate, and I LOVE IT!!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Most meaning full Musician ever.
    By Greenguy in forum The Clubhouse
    Replies: 64
    Last Post: 07-16-2009, 10:52 AM
  2. Race gives new meaning to beer run
    By BadlandsVikings in forum The Clubhouse
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 06-25-2007, 06:09 PM
  3. Meaning of SKOL
    By Rookie444 in forum The Clubhouse
    Replies: 13
    Last Post: 11-18-2005, 05:05 AM
  4. the meaning of skol
    By silvermane in forum Vikings Fan Forum
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 06-24-2004, 05:13 AM
  5. The Meaning of SKOL
    By PacNWVike in forum Vikings Fan Forum
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 02-04-2003, 06:29 AM

Tags for this Thread

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •