Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
    C Mac D is offline Posting to P'own

Re: Radio host angers parents of autistic children

"Garland" wrote:
    "COJOMAY" wrote:
    I think that the mistake most of us make is listening to the press "spin" on any story. Talk about not believing percentages, I believe the press is almost less reliable than percentages. Did any of you actually listen to the radio program and the follow-up. Or did you just read a story and react to it?
    I have heard it a couple of times, This guy is quite simply a peice of shit. Why even make a stement like that or ny of the other stuppid shit he said?
    Yup, he's trying to stir up an audience and get publicity. I had never heard of him before this... and now I'm aware of who he is.

No publicity is bad publicity... right?

Hell, even Imus got his job back.
    Disclaimer: I'm an idiot.

Mr Anderson is offline Jersey Retired

Hey old guys:

How many kids did you know growing up who had ADD? Parents are afraid to discipline their children nowadays, they don't know how to control them, it's really ridiculous how many kids I went to school with were diagnosed with ADD or ADHD. I think maybe one or two actually had it. At the time, I didn't know any better. But when I got older and saw how their parents behaved I saw why they were so out of control.

Season 4, Episode 3:
    http://www.southparkstudios.com/episodes/

Watch it.

One funny quote
    Kyle's Mom: "Sometimes my Kyle runs around screaming like an 8 year old"
    Kyle: "I am 8"

VikingMike is offline Jersey Retired

"Mr" wrote:
    Hey old guys:

How many kids did you know growing up who had ADD? Parents are afraid to discipline their children nowadays, they don't know how to control them, it's really ridiculous how many kids I went to school with were diagnosed with ADD or ADHD. I think maybe one or two actually had it. At the time, I didn't know any better. But when I got older and saw how their parents behaved I saw why they were so out of control.

Season 4, Episode 3:

Watch it.

One funny quote

I had friends growing up who today would be diagnosed ADD/ADHD and given medication. We used to just kick their ass when they got out of control. We also had stay-at-home moms, which is not the norm today...and that makes a huge difference when it comes to raising kids.

But these scenarios are completely different than autism.
    Any man who afflicts the human race with ideas must be prepared to see them misunderstood. - H.L. Mencken

Come from the land of the ice and snow...

Mr Anderson is offline Jersey Retired

"VikingMike" wrote:
    "Mr" wrote:
    Hey old guys:

Season 4, Episode 3:

Watch it.

One funny quote

I had friends growing up who today would be diagnosed ADD/ADHD and given medication. We used to just kick their ass when they got out of control. We also had stay-at-home moms, which is not the norm today...and that makes a huge difference when it comes to raising kids.

I understand it's completely different than autism, but I saw ADD and misdiagnoses mentioned, so I thought I'd include that.

My mother didn't start working again until my little brother was like 12. She was like you said, a stay at home mother.

My dad taught us at a very young age what would happen if we acted up, he never abused us by any stretch of the imagination, but I remember getting a few good spankings when I was young, and it never happened again after like the 3rd grade.

My mom was more of a psychological disciplinarian... and is way scarier than my dad. A 5'4" little blonde lady is scarier than my 6'2" 230 pound dad. They kept us completely under control without drugs, and very minimal violence. I think I grew up great.

There's no reason other parents should not do the same.

ItalianStallion is offline Jersey Retired

ADD isn't a disease of "acting up" as a child.
    It has to do with not being able to focus properly for learning and memory retention, and it affects adults also.

I m like a Ja Rule poster, cause I'm off the wall.

C Mac D is offline Posting to P'own

"ItalianStallion" wrote:
    It has to do with not being able to focus properly for learning and memory retention, and it affects adults also.
    No one is arguing what it is, but rather that it's being misdiagnosed. You are exactly right, however, people are putting their kids on Ridilin simply because they have misbehaving kids.
    Disclaimer: I'm an idiot.

VikingMike is offline Jersey Retired

"Mr" wrote:
    "VikingMike" wrote:
    "Mr" wrote:
    Hey old guys:

Season 4, Episode 3:

Watch it.

One funny quote

I understand it's completely different than autism, but I saw ADD and misdiagnoses mentioned, so I thought I'd include that.

My mother didn't start working again until my little brother was like 12. She was like you said, a stay at home mother.

My dad taught us at a very young age what would happen if we acted up, he never abused us by any stretch of the imagination, but I remember getting a few good spankings when I was young, and it never happened again after like the 3rd grade.

My mom was more of a psychological disciplinarian... and is way scarier than my dad. A 5'4" little blonde lady is scarier than my 6'2" 230 pound dad. They kept us completely under control without drugs, and very minimal violence. I think I grew up great.

There's no reason other parents should not do the same.

I know exactly where you're coming from, Mr A. Our Mom kept the five of us in line, and she never had to say "wait till your father comes home"!

There are so many things today that are screwed up that can traced back to a lack of discipline on kids growing up. One of my biggest peeves is that kids are not responsible (or accountable) for their actions. That is one of the priorites in our household...with every action, there will be a consequence.
    Any man who afflicts the human race with ideas must be prepared to see them misunderstood. - H.L. Mencken

Come from the land of the ice and snow...

COJOMAY is offline Jersey Retired

"ItalianStallion" wrote:
    Gee, a lot of people here must have ADD!
    ;D
    Kentucky Vikes Fan

When you require nothing, you get nothing; when you expect nothing, you will find nothing; when you embrace nothing, all you will have is nothing.

tb04512 is offline Team Alumni

"Mr" wrote:
    Hey old guys:

Season 4, Episode 3:

Watch it.

One funny quote
    I agree that parents are afraid to discipline their kids, and its ridiculous, im 20 and was never beaten but when i acted up i was disciplined with spanking or some type of physical discipline.
    Ive asked my dad why he did that instead of timeouts or taking stuff away, he said its because you responded better to physical, you knew it was serious after you got spanked.
    He also went on to say time outs dont work because after 5 minutes you act like a brat again because sitting in a corner is nothing compared to a good spanking.

The way kids are given medication is ridiculous, here take these pills and you will pay attention more
    : ... how about here take this swift kick in the ass and pay attention or you will get another one

rant off

Thanks josdin00

NodakPaul is offline Jersey Retired
    Blog Entries

"C" wrote:
    "ItalianStallion" wrote:
    No one is arguing what it is, but rather that it's being misdiagnosed. You are exactly right, however, people are putting their kids on Ridilin simply because they have misbehaving kids.
    I agree.

ADD is a real disease (I have a different opinion about the so called Adult ADD, but that is not relevant).
    However, the prevalence at which it was diagnosed in the late 90's through early 00's was over the top.
    It became the "chic" diagnosis for a while.
    Back in my school psychology days, we would have parents come in for consults and start off by saying, "My child has ADD", and if you disagreed, they would simply find another psychologist who would give them the diagnosis they were looking for.
    For some, not all, but some, it was a way to externalize any perceived failures on their part as a parent.

What we would try and do is counsel both the child and the parent.
    Work with the child to find outlets for them, and work with the parents to help them realize that having some rambunctious kids is not a sign of failure, it is a sign of kids in the normal range of energy.
    Zeus wrote:
    When are you going to realize that picking out the 20 bad throws this year and ignoring the 300 good ones does not make your point?

=Z=

Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast