Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    Garland Greene is offline Jersey Retired

Re: Radio host angers parents of autistic children

I will agree that kids do get over medicated. However stats are not always accurate. Hell The whole 300 threads we have arguing about TJack should prove what the "stats" have to say about what is true and what is not true. There are alos multiple stats about how I as a African American male should be dead or in jail. And well that is not true either.

VikingMike is offline Jersey Retired

"Zeus" wrote:
    "ItalianStallion" wrote:
    "C" wrote:
    I'd say it's closer to 25% of the children, but it is a real problem. Children are misdiagnosed as Autistic or ADD when they are really just being kids.
    Him saying 99% is just a radio show host trying to pull in an audience by making a stir. That's all.
    Is that a qualified statement, or is that just an opinion?
    If so, what is it based on?

Misdiagnoses occur for ever condition, but where people get these arbitrary percentages is beyond me.
    Probably from the same place that autism advocates get their "truth" that vaccines are a primary cause for the rise in autism rates.

=Z=

Jenny McCarthy?

This guy Savage is a total asshole to group all autistic kids in this way. Illness du jour? Sure, just tell your autistic kid to stop being a fool or a putz...that's the answer!!! Wow, what an intelligent, insightful way to deal with the problem. Are some misdiagnosed? Of course, but he does a grave misservice to those who are not.

[youtube=425,350]sPuyGD8mCLc[/youtube]
    Any man who afflicts the human race with ideas must be prepared to see them misunderstood. - H.L. Mencken

Come from the land of the ice and snow...

"COJOMAY" wrote:
    Do any of you know there is no definative test for autism? There are things they look at but there is no test that "proves" autism. At an early age it's still a guess. And C mac D is right there is so much "guessing" by the medical community and over prescribing medicine just so doctors can think they did something to satisfy an over-anxious parent.
    Whether it's vaccinations or something else, no one knows. But did you also know that drug companies are exempt from being sued for having "faulty" vaccinations?
    There really is no definate test for anything really. The other thing about autism is that there are also no 2 autisic peopel alike. So Yes there is no definate test to say one way or another because there is such a huge spectrum of Autism. Both charecteristics and severity/degree of it.

olson_10 is offline Ring of Fame

another clown radio personality gets everything he wanted by making a ridiculous statement, and that is attention!..if these people were smart enough to realize this, they would just ignore it..now the guy is gonna find a way to turn it into more attention and more money for himself
    People who see life as anything more than pure entertainment are missing the point.

olson_10 is offline Ring of Fame

"Garland" wrote:
    I will agree that kids do get over medicated. However stats are not always accurate. Hell The whole 300 threads we have arguing about TJack should prove what the "stats" have to say about what is true and what is not true. There are alos multiple stats about how I as a African American male should be dead or in jail. And well that is not true either.
    heck, judging by your avatar i just assumed you were a steve buschemi look alike lol
    People who see life as anything more than pure entertainment are missing the point.

ItalianStallion is offline Jersey Retired

"COJOMAY" wrote:
    Do any of you know there is no definative test for autism? There are things they look at but there is no test that "proves" autism. At an early age it's still a guess. And C mac D is right there is so much "guessing" by the medical community and over prescribing medicine just so doctors can think they did something to satisfy an over-anxious parent.
    Whether it's vaccinations or something else, no one knows.But did you also know that drug companies are exempt from being sued for having "faulty" vaccinations?
    A lot of psychological conditions have no definitive "test".
    It's not like there are biological markers to monitor with these conditions.
    For the most part, they are only partially understood.
    I don't disagree with the notion that children are often being overprescribed medication for such conditions, but that has as much to do with the parents as it does the physicians/tests.
    That being said, there are a large amount of families and kids that do benefit from correct diagnoses and medication.

But did you also know that drug companies are exempt from being sued for having "faulty" vaccinations?
    What do you mean by "faulty"?

I m like a Ja Rule poster, cause I'm off the wall.

NodakPaul is offline Jersey Retired
    Blog Entries

"C" wrote:
    "ItalianStallion" wrote:
    "C" wrote:
    I'd say it's closer to 25% of the children, but it is a real problem. Children are misdiagnosed as Autistic or ADD when they are really just being kids.
    Him saying 99% is just a radio show host trying to pull in an audience by making a stir. That's all.

Misdiagnoses occur for ever condition, but where people get these arbitrary percentages is beyond me.
    Well, I worked in a Day Care for two years, and you can definitely tell the difference. In my class alone we had two ADD kids and an autistic child. The autistic kid was definitely autistic, no doubt about it... the ADD kids were just rambunctious... just being kids.

I think the main point of all this is the over-medicating of the youth in this country... hell, what about the adults?

Also... here's an article from a Medical Journal that says it's actually closer to 68.1% misdiagnosis...

http://aut.sagepub.com/cgi/content/citation/8/1/111?ck=nck
    Working at a daycare hardly makes you any kind of expert.
    And ADD and autism are completely different.
    That is like comparing polio and cancer.
    Now, if you want to make the point that our society has a habit of going through periods of overdiagnoses with different psychological ailments, then I will agree with you.
    But don't put any percentages in front of it.
    Zeus wrote:
    When are you going to realize that picking out the 20 bad throws this year and ignoring the 300 good ones does not make your point?

=Z=

COJOMAY is offline Jersey Retired

I think that the mistake most of us make is listening to the press "spin" on any story. Talk about not believing percentages, I believe the press is almost less reliable than percentages. Did any of you actually listen to the radio program and the follow-up. Or did you just read a story and react to it?
    Kentucky Vikes Fan

When you require nothing, you get nothing; when you expect nothing, you will find nothing; when you embrace nothing, all you will have is nothing.

C Mac D is offline Posting to P'own

"NodakPaul" wrote:
    "C" wrote:
    "ItalianStallion" wrote:
    "C" wrote:

Well, I worked in a Day Care for two years, and you can definitely tell the difference. In my class alone we had two ADD kids and an autistic child. The autistic kid was definitely autistic, no doubt about it... the ADD kids were just rambunctious... just being kids.

I think the main point of all this is the over-medicating of the youth in this country... hell, what about the adults?

Also... here's an article from a Medical Journal that says it's actually closer to 68.1% misdiagnosis...

http://aut.sagepub.com/cgi/content/citation/8/1/111?ck=nck
    Working at a daycare hardly makes you any kind of expert.
    And ADD and autism are completely different.
    That is like comparing polio and cancer.
    Now, if you want to make the point that our society has a habit of going through periods of overdiagnoses with different psychological ailments, then I will agree with you.
    But don't put any percentages in front of it.
    Did I claim to be an expert?

No, but that medical journal... written by experts... supports my argument. Read it.

Also, I only brought up ADD to further the point that the youth of this country are over-prescribed... which is the basis for all this.
    Disclaimer: I'm an idiot.

"COJOMAY" wrote:
    I think that the mistake most of us make is listening to the press "spin" on any story. Talk about not believing percentages, I believe the press is almost less reliable than percentages. Did any of you actually listen to the radio program and the follow-up. Or did you just read a story and react to it?
    I have heard it a couple of times, This guy is quite simply a peice of shit. Why even make a stement like that or ny of the other stuppid shit he said?

Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast