Page 1 of 10 123 ... LastLast
    Schutz is offline Team Alumni

Radio host angers parents of autistic children

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20080721/ap_on_en_ot/savage_autism

NEW YORK - Radio talk show host Michael Savage, who described 99 percent of children with autism as brats, said Monday he was trying to "boldly awaken" parents to his view that many people are being wrongly diagnosed.
    ADVERTISEMENT

Some parents of autistic children have called for Savage's firing after he described autism as a racket last week. "In 99 percent of the cases, it's a brat who hasn't been told to cut the act out," Savage said on his radio program last Wednesday

Michael Savage everybody.
    Don't everybody applaud this brave man for taking on all those "brats" all at one time.

ItalianStallion is offline Jersey Retired

Re: Radio host angers parents of autistic children

I love it when idiots who have no education regarding something call out those that do.
    Is he an expert on autism or something?

I m like a Ja Rule poster, cause I'm off the wall.

C Mac D is offline Posting to P'own

I'd say it's closer to 25% of the children, but it is a real problem. Children are misdiagnosed as Autistic or ADD when they are really just being kids.

Him saying 99% is just a radio show host trying to pull in an audience by making a stir. That's all.
    Disclaimer: I'm an idiot.

Garland Greene is offline Jersey Retired

Having a child that we were concerned is autistic, but was not diagnnosed as being one. but alos haveing worked wuith Kids who have Autismthis guy has no clue what he is talking about. I am going to just not say anything at this point on the risk of completly going off.

"C" wrote:
    I'd say it's closer to 25% of the children, but it is a real problem. Children are misdiagnosed as Autistic or ADD when they are really just being kids.
    Him saying 99% is just a radio show host trying to pull in an audience by making a stir. That's all.
    Is that a qualified statement, or is that just an opinion?
    If so, what is it based on?

Misdiagnoses occur for ever condition, but where people get these arbitrary percentages is beyond me.

Zeus is offline Jersey Retired

"ItalianStallion" wrote:
    "C" wrote:

Misdiagnoses occur for ever condition, but where people get these arbitrary percentages is beyond me.
    Probably from the same place that autism advocates get their "truth" that vaccines are a primary cause for the rise in autism rates.

=Z=

Thanks to Josdin for the awesome sig!

COJOMAY is offline Jersey Retired

"ItalianStallion" wrote:
    I love it when idiots who have no education regarding something call out those that do.
    As a matter of fact, he is somewhat of an expert. He's written several boopks on childhood health problems that have been best sellers.
    He had the head of the national autisum group of the radio last night and she agreed with almost everything he said. When the medical community reports 1 in 20 children are diagnosed with autism something is drastically wrong and no one seems to care other than those effected. It's good he brought it to the attention of the public abit he may have been a bit "pushy."
    Kentucky Vikes Fan

When you require nothing, you get nothing; when you expect nothing, you will find nothing; when you embrace nothing, all you will have is nothing.

"COJOMAY" wrote:
    "ItalianStallion" wrote:
    As a matter of fact, he is somewhat of an expert. He's written several boopks on childhood health problems that have been best sellers.
    He had the head of the national autisum group of the radio last night and she agreed with almost everything he said. When 1 in 20 children are diagnosed with autism something is drastically wrong and no one seems to care. It's good he brought it to the attention of the public abit he may have been a bit "pushy."
    Writing books that sell do not make you an expert.
    Look at Kevin Trudeau, the con-artist who writes the best selling "Miracles Cures 'They' Don't Want You to Know About".

As I said, I'm sure there are misdiagnoses for all sorts of psychological conditions as they are not fully understood for the most part.
    This includes, ADHD, autism, tourettes, depression etc.
    I have a problem with people who quote numbers with no real credible evidence to back them up and expect people to take what they say seriously.

Did you know 9 out 10 statistics are wrong?
    ;D

C Mac D is offline Posting to P'own

"ItalianStallion" wrote:
    "C" wrote:

Well, I worked in a Day Care for two years, and you can definitely tell the difference. In my class alone we had two ADD kids and an autistic child. The autistic kid was definitely autistic, no doubt about it... the ADD kids were just rambunctious... just being kids.

I think the main point of all this is the over-medicating of the youth in this country... hell, what about the adults?

Also... here's an article from a Medical Journal that says it's actually closer to 68.1% misdiagnosis...

http://aut.sagepub.com/cgi/content/citation/8/1/111?ck=nck
    Disclaimer: I'm an idiot.

COJOMAY is offline Jersey Retired

Do any of you know there is no definative test for autism? There are things they look at but there is no test that "proves" autism. At an early age it's still a guess. And C mac D is right there is so much "guessing" by the medical community and over prescribing medicine just so doctors can think they did something to satisfy an over-anxious parent.
    Whether it's vaccinations or something else, no one knows. But did you also know that drug companies are exempt from being sued for having "faulty" vaccinations?
    Kentucky Vikes Fan

When you require nothing, you get nothing; when you expect nothing, you will find nothing; when you embrace nothing, all you will have is nothing.

Page 1 of 10 123 ... LastLast