Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    V4L
    V4L is offline Jersey Retired

Re: R.I.P. Peter Jennings

I lost my grandpa and an aunt from smoking.. It sucks so I try not to smoke much.. Ive actually only bought 1 pack of newports so I dont smoke much...

6-KINGS Guest

"Del Rio" wrote:
    I don't feel sorry for people who died from lung cancer because they smoked. I don't cry for people who die from liver disease because they drank every day of their lives.

My grandfather died from liver disease, he made his decisions he lived the life he wanted.

Peter Jennings liked to smoke, I hope he got some enjoyment out of it at least. Hell the guy has been around the world, I don't know about his personal life, but even though his life was shorter then average he did some above average things during his time here.
    And I don't feel sorry for people who die from falling in a cement silo and then lit a match to see where their going. Or people who die when they are drunk and slip in the bathtub. And people who drive over the speed limit and have an accident. These people deserve not sympathy.
    Put them all on their own island I say.

yah...............

Del Rio Guest

I have no clue how that applies to anything I said.

But no they don't get their own island. Unless you want to name it pity island and throw a few hundred people on there who actually give a shit.

I'm not saying the man is an idiot for smoking, I'm not saying he was any less of a human being.

6-KINGS Guest

"Del Rio" wrote:
    I have no clue how that applies to anything I said.

But no they don't get their own island. Unless you want to name it pity island and throw a few hundred people on there who actually give a pooh.

I'm not saying the man is an idiot for smoking, I'm not saying he was any less of a human being.
    I was just cutting up Del, that is all.

I agree with ya.

Not to sound like a complete dick or anything but I didn't like the guy when he was alive and I don't like him anymore now that he's dead. My sympathy goes out to his family and colleagues but that's it.

And on a side note, while he was a smoker for many years, the guy did quit over twenty years ago. Smoking was a different story back in the 50's, 60's and 70's. There wasn't such a social stigma or as much public education regarding the negative effects as there is today. I was a smoker for 15 years and quit about four years ago. Any kid under the age of 20 who smokes in this day and age needs to get a clue...
    Even babies know the difference.

Del Rio Guest

He did quit up until Sept 11, 2001 then he started again. Not that it matters.

CanadaViking is offline Pro-Bowler

40- 50 years ago there were absolutely no warnings as to the risks involved with smoking and that is when Mr. Jennings started smoking.

Peter Jennings quit smoking when he was in his 40's and lit up again following his coverage of 911, not an excuse for smoking, but for crying out loud give the guy a break, after all he is dead.

Cigarettes are so damn cheap in the U.S. and so readily available, with advertisements everywhere you turn and you can smoke in public places, what deems smoking bad.

Regardless of how or why people die, to minimize the sad reactions in my opinion is a little harsh, cause I am sure his family is still sad as hell and the last thing they are doing is chastizing his smoking habit.

Teens need to have the same opinion as Del Rio, so as to stop the epidemic that smoking is, nip it in the bud when they are young. Tax the crap out of cigarettes like we do up here in Canada and put gross pictures on the packaging as we do, and for crying out loud get rid of the advertisements directed at young people that glamorize smoking.

Sorry for the rant, but Old Pete was a fellow Canadian and he is missed and I also just quit smoking 5 months ago and it was/is the hardest thing that I have ever done and I had all the warnings, so R.I.P. Peter Jennings we'll miss your familiar face!!

Cheers!!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12