Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Garland Greene is offline Jersey Retired

R.I.P. the CD 1982-2007

So have CD's gone the way of the cassette tape? I have to admit that most of music now comes from itunes, unless its a artist that i really want. I maybe have purchased 2 CD's in the last year. al of my other C's I did buy have been downloaded on itunes and are sitting in a closet somewhere. all of my CD's in the Car are ones that i have burned from playlists for itunes.

http://www.startribune.com/entertainment/music/14294271.html

OBITUARY The darling of music lovers for a quarter century, the compact disc finally goes the way of the cassette and 8-track.

Once praised for its clear, crisp audio quality but panned for its susceptibility to scratches and smudges, the compact disc passed away in 2007 after a quick but painful illness. It was 25 years old.

The final cause of death has not been determined, but friends and fans blamed digital-download sites such as iTunes and illegal file-sharing among rich kids. In addition, doctors pointed to the big record companies and mega-selling artists who put out CDs in recent years that featured only a few good songs and lots of filler.

I love the last line....

Memorial services have not been finalized, but Elton John has committed to singing at the funeral. In lieu of flowers, please send $17.99 to the record-store owner of your choice.

snowinapril is offline Jersey Retired

Re: R.I.P. the CD 1982-2007

Please edit and post only the first 3 lines of the article or so.
    The link is for the rest of the story.
    The trib puts this stuff online for a reason.
    If they don't get the hits, they won't get the adverts, and then they will look for the money elsewhere, like Webby's pocket.

snowinapril is offline Jersey Retired

Maybe we can go back to the LPs, that would be cool.
    LOL!

Albums and MP3s

marstc09 is offline Jersey Retired

CDs were too big anyways. I love being able to carry thousands of songs in one little device. It is great!

josdin00 is offline Ring of Fame

I just hope that with the death of the CD, we do not also see the death of the album. No, I don't mean vinyl. I mean a collection of 12 songs (on average) that both communicates the bands message of that moment and also tells you a lot about the band itself. I don't want to see the music industry turn into an endless stream of singles. Some of my favorite songs are the unheralded songs that are stuffed in between the 'radio worthy' singles.

I think one of the reasons that Green Day's 'American Idiot' album did so well is that it tells a story from one song to the next. By this point, I think so many people have lost sight of the concept of a cohesive album that it looks like a fresh idea again.

ThorSPL is offline Team Alumni

I liked The Smashing Pumpkins' Mellon Collie and the Infinite Sadness discs...

Trust me, I'm a doctor.

www.twitter.com/ThorSPL

"josdin00" wrote:
    I just hope that with the death of the CD, we do not also see the death of the album. No, I don't mean vinyl. I mean a collection of 12 songs (on average) that both communicates the bands message of that moment and also tells you a lot about the band itself. I don't want to see the music industry turn into an endless stream of singles. Some of my favorite songs are the unheralded songs that are stuffed in between the 'radio worthy' singles.

I think one of the reasons that Green Day's 'American Idiot' album did so well is that it tells a story from one song to the next. By this point, I think so many people have lost sight of the concept of a cohesive album that it looks like a fresh idea again.
    Green day is one of the few exceptions. alot of albums as teh article points out are basically a couple of good songs and the rest is just avg at best.

VikingMike is offline Jersey Retired

"snowinapril" wrote:
    Maybe we can go back to the LPs, that would be cool.
    LOL!

Albums and MP3s

Amazing how technology has evolved in audio output. LP's (78's, 45's, 33 1/3), 8-tracks, reel-to-reel, cassettes, cd's...and now little devices that hold your whole library (I've got over 4000 songs on my Zen), and fit in the palm of your hand.

I am of the old school...I still get the whole "album" rather than one song (to me it's not complete)...plus I usually find other songs I like better than the popular "single".
    Any man who afflicts the human race with ideas must be prepared to see them misunderstood. - H.L. Mencken

Come from the land of the ice and snow...

actually saw a lady the other day walking with a walkman, My son asked why her Ipod looked so funny.
    ???

COJOMAY is offline Jersey Retired

[size=12pt]Free music downloads site in chaos as record giants pull out[/size]
    http://www.thisislondon.co.uk/news/article-23434386-details/Free+music+downloads+site+in+chaos+as+record+giant s+pull+out/article.do
    Music fans around the world faced confusion today as it was announced they would be able to download unlimited, free songs without breaking the law.

A revamped online file-sharing service had vowed to offer a catalogue of 30million free songs that are compatible with iPods, but record labels have denied they had granted permission to share the songs.

Qtrax, which makes its debut today, is the latest online music venture counting on the lure of free songs to draw in music fans.

The key to their revolutionary venture was thought to be advertising, which they hope will pay the bills, namely record company licensing fees.

The New York-based service was among several peer-to-peer file-sharing applications that emerged following the shutdown of Napster, the pioneer service that enabled millions to illegally copy songs stored in other computers...
    Kentucky Vikes Fan

When you require nothing, you get nothing; when you expect nothing, you will find nothing; when you embrace nothing, all you will have is nothing.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast