V4L
    V4L is offline Jersey Retired

Questionable Call...

What does everything think about the Angels and Sox call last night? I think it was a catch and AJ was out.. Benji knew he caught that and he tossed it back.. AJ knew it and he took a step back to the dugout and people told him to run.. AJ said he heard the ball hit.. Bull! He couldn't hear anything it was so loud there.. And he even was walking towards the dugout..

Lotza is offline Team Alumni

Re: Questionable Call...

that was complete bullhonkey. its too baad that the dumb ass umpire made that call. they should have gone to extra innings

Go vikes!!

josdin00 is offline Ring of Fame

What he has said on the post game interviews is that he swung, and knew he didn't make contact, so he started towards the dugout. Then he realized that he never heard the ump call him out, so he took off towards first.

Remember, Pierzynski is the Sox's catcher, so he had been listening to umpire Doug Eddings call people out all game. He was heading back to the dugout because he swung at the third strike. He had his back to the ump, so he didn't see the "third strike mechanic", so Edding's motion didn't matter to him. He didn't hear Eddings finish his cadence for calling someone out, so he knew the inning wasn't over yet. I think it was a heads up play by him.

Whether it was the right call or not is another question.

I think the Angels' players were definitely confused by Eddings' signals, and obviously they weren't going off of his spoken calls, or they would have realized the same thing that AJ did. The easiest way to make sure that this doesn't happen again is to standardize the hand signals used by plate umpires. Unfortunately, that doesn't fix what happened last night, but nothing will at this point. You want to bet that the Angels' catcher will make sure to tag all the batters in close situations tomorrow night? (actually, wouldn't it be funny if he just tagged every batter after strike 3? I'd love to see how the umps react to that.)

mnvikes61 is offline Team Alumni

what exactly happened? if if AJ was running towads first they would have had plenty of time to throw him out, AJ can't run for jack. i missed the game so i'm just going by what i'm raeding. sounds like he swung at a ball and missed at that was strike 3, if Molina had dropped the ball he would have just picked it up and tagged AJ out or thrown it to first.

Thanks Josdin

tampaviking is offline Rookie

exactly, how would a catcher playing for a team that makes the playoffs, drop the ball and not tag AJ, i hate it when an official can make that much of an impact in a game. reminds me of the time farve was out if timeouts and asked for the dang chain gang,
    ps my father in law ref's highschool football so i dont really have a like zebra's that much. i think they actually get a kick out of calling back plays, he told me about a touchdown he called back at the end of one game and had this smile on his face. i tell you they enjoy that stuff

mnvikes61 is offline Team Alumni

can somebody tell me what happened, because a play like this sounds very strange. espically if AJ swung and missed on strike 3?

Thanks Josdin

V4L
    V4L is offline Jersey Retired

AJ swong and the catcher caught the ball.. So it appears like.. And he tossed the ball back to the mound thinking that was 3 outs.. And AJ turned to walk towards the dugout and people were telling him to run.. He took off towards 1st and got there.. They pinch ran and he stole 2nd.. Then Crede hit a double I think and they won the game instead of going into extra innings

C-PepNSalt is offline Pro-Bowler

Synopsis: AJ swung at a strike 3 ball, he completely missed the swing, and the umpire calls strike 3, but he never calls him out...the catch is a 3rd stringer, he never tags AJ assuming that the ball never hits the ground, on replay it somewhat looks like the ball actually changes direction which the average person would assume that it "possibly" did in fact hit the ground, but then again, maybe just because of the angle it did in fact "not" hit the ground and therefor it was a terrible call. Anyway, AJ did not hear the umpire call him out, so he started walking towards his dugout, then instead he turns around and runs to first base, by this time the catcher (3rd stringer guy) throws the ball down and towards the pitchers mound because he assumes that the inning is over and he walks towards his dug out. Terrible call or not...this is a lesson to you 3rd stringer guy always tag the player even if it looks CLOSE! You see most veterans do this... and then we wouldn't have to worry about this situation coming...
    "Johnson, we will keep on beating them until morale improves."

Mr Anderson is offline Jersey Retired

He was out no doubt about it.

And wasnt it Bengie or Jose Molina? They switch off as starting catcher sometimes, but Bengie has been DHing. They are both, and their other brother Yadier too, are all great defensive catchers. They know when they make the catch. If they had any doubt they would have tagged him.