Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    i_bleed_purple is offline Jersey Retired
    Blog Entries

Question for those in the IT field.

I'm currently taking a Bachelors of Computer Science, but was thinking of perhaps switching to a Bachelor of Information Technology, specializing in Network management.

Do any of you have one of the above degrees, or work in the above fields?
    I'm not too familiar with the current demand for people with those specializations, and although i will be looking into it further, i'd love to hear if any of you knew about which has a higher demand, which can take you further, etc.

dakkar59 is offline Waterboy

Re: Question for those in the IT field.

I graduated from UW Eau Claire, Wisconsin in 06' w/ a degree in Management Information Systems.
    Basically how i see it, Computer Science people will earn more out right after colllege, but after a few years w/ an MIS degree you will be making the same if not more.
    I'm already making as much as some of my CS major buddies.

A lot of it comes down to how you feel:
    Do you want to deal w/ people?
    Do you prefer to just program and stick with your programming group at work?

Blog Entries

I have no problem dealing with people, but I'm getting the feeling that sitting in a cube writing code could get rather tedious.
    I had a summer job helping out with the IT department at a company, helping configuring firewalls and wireless access points, which I found i liked better than writing programs, which is part of what a network administrator would be doing.

dakkar59 is offline Waterboy

If you prefer network admin stuff, then it sounds like you made up your mind already.
    Coding gets extremely tedious unless you enjoy it.

Blog Entries

if you don't mind me asking, what kind of job did you get?
    was it the first job you got after graduating? and how long did it take you to find a job that you wanted?

ThorSPL is offline Team Alumni

If you don't want to take Calculus, go for MIS - that was my other college degree.

I was gonna do CS then CIS - but no calculus and the ability to work with people led to MIS.

Course now I'm a psychologist....

Trust me, I'm a doctor.

www.twitter.com/ThorSPL

Blog Entries

I don't mind Calculus, Algebra's the math thats given me trouble so far.
    Like i said, i'm currently in first year, so I have to take both calculus and algebra, then next semester linear algebra.
    I don't want to pick a program because it doesn't require me to take a course, I'd rather pick a program that will pay off in the long run.

NodakPaul is offline Jersey Retired
    Blog Entries

"ThorSPL" wrote:
    If you don't want to take Calculus, go for MIS - that was my other college degree.

I was gonna do CS then CIS - but no calculus and the ability to work with people led to MIS.

Course now I'm a psychologist....
    That is funny.
    My first degree was in psychology, and now I am a software engineer.
    Zeus wrote:
    When are you going to realize that picking out the 20 bad throws this year and ignoring the 300 good ones does not make your point?

=Z=

NodakPaul is offline Jersey Retired
    Blog Entries

"i_bleed_purple" wrote:
    Like i said, i'm currently in first year, so I have to take both calculus and algebra, then next semester linear algebra.
    I don't want to pick a program because it doesn't require me to take a course, I'd rather pick a program that will pay off in the long run.
    Pick a program because it is what you want to do, not for the eventual pay off.
    Every track listed so far in this forum have the possibility of high end payouts.
    But all the money in the world isn't worth it if you hate what you are doing.

I have been a software engineer for the better part of a decade, and I have found that there is high demand, especially on the west coast.
    Like any other job, it can be exciting or tedious - it depends on the company you work for and what you put into it.
    As someone else said, the pay rate for software engineers is higher out of college, but network admin tend to have a higher top out.
    I think network admin have a lower demand as well, but again that is goingt o vary depending on geography.

One thing I really like about software engineering is that you are never tied into one discipline.
    In fact, those who don't change become obsolete, so it is a field that requires you to continue your education throughout your career.
    I have developed applications in C, C++, C#, Java, Perl and now I am branching into Apex (Salesforce proprietary language - cloud computing).
    I am also doing development in Android (Google phone) and the iPhone sdk.
    For me, it is fun to always be on the cutting edge of technology, but it also takes a considerable effort to stay on top of it.
    Zeus wrote:
    When are you going to realize that picking out the 20 bad throws this year and ignoring the 300 good ones does not make your point?

=Z=

Blog Entries

"NodakPaul" wrote:
    "i_bleed_purple" wrote:
    Pick a program because it is what you want to do, not for the eventual pay off.
    Every track listed so far in this forum have the possibility of high end payouts.
    But all the money in the world isn't worth it if you hate what you are doing.

I have been a software engineer for the better part of a decade, and I have found that there is high demand, especially on the west coast.
    Like any other job, it can be exciting or tedious - it depends on the company you work for and what you put into it.
    As someone else said, the pay rate for software engineers is higher out of college, but network admin tend to have a higher top out.
    I think network admin have a lower demand as well, but again that is goingt o vary depending on geography.

One thing I really like about software engineering is that you are never tied into one discipline.
    In fact, those who don't change become obsolete, so it is a field that requires you to continue your education throughout your career.
    I have developed applications in C, C++, C#, Java, Perl and now I am branching into Apex (Salesforce proprietary language - cloud computing).
    I am also doing development in Android (Google phone) and the iPhone sdk.
    For me, it is fun to always be on the cutting edge of technology, but it also takes a considerable effort to stay on top of it.
    thanks for the input, and thats the exact reason i'm asking, I don't want to be stuck doing something that I'll end up hating 10 years later.
    by paying off in the long run, i don't just mean financially, but i mean whether its something that I will be interested in doing 10 years later, something that i don't wake up every morning, spiteful that i have to go to my crappy job that i hate.
    to me, I would rather make 10,000 less doing something i like than full pay doing something I hate.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast