Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    singersp is offline PPO Newshound

Prayer for a Packer fan

Now I like to bash Packer fans as well as the next Viking fan, but in this case I need to make an exception & send a prayer to my cousin's wife for either a miraculous recovery, or that God takes her quickly with little suffering. She is now dieing of cancer & it looks very grim. A few years back she had a radical double Mastectomy due to breast cancer & she courageously fought through it & won. Now the cancer is back.

Evelyn is as much of a die hard Packers fan as I am a Vikings fan. I wish I had pictures of her car adorned with Packer items, her Packer bedroom & her Packer wall of Packers memorabilia just to show you how much. She & I used to banter back & forth about our respective teams every time we met & bet on every Vikings/Packers game.

I ask that you put your feelings aside for Packer fans for only a moment or two & say a prayer that God will be with her in this, the darkest moment of her life.

This is the e-mail I received from her daughter, just a few minutes ago;

Thought I would pass this along to you.

6-1-07

I am emailing earlier than expected because of bad news. Mom went to doctor today because she was having hard time breathing and found out she has fluid in her lung, more cancer in lung and things do not look good. Doctor has given her only weeks. The drugs are not working fast enough to take over the cancer. She did go in the hospital so she can have the fluid drained and given some drugs to help her breathe. She is in Winona hospital, room 201.
    When I wrote the first email I should have mention that dad is doing great. He is worried about mom, but very active and gets along great at the nursing home.
    This is all I know at this time, I will email more as we find out.

Kristie
    Evelyn Laska's daughter

"If at first you don't succeed, parachuting is not for you"

BadlandsVikings is offline Jersey Retired

Re: Prayer for a Packer fan

Sorry to hear that singer, your aunt is in my prayers.

Garland Greene is offline Jersey Retired

Sorry to hear that man, I hope all of the family is well. What sucks is that as advanced in Medicine as we are, we can't find a cure for Cancer. I have lost my Dad and 2 of my uncles from Cancer. And we seem no more advanced in finding a cure than we were 10 years ago when my first Uncle died. Just let her know that there are several Vikings fans hoping for the best.

tb04512 is offline Team Alumni

im sorry to hear this, my hopes and prayers go out to her

Thanks josdin00

"Garland" wrote:
    Sorry to hear that man, I hope all of the family is well. What sucks is that as advanced in Medicine as we are, we can't find a cure for Cancer. I have lost my Dad and 2 of my uncles from Cancer. And we seem no more advanced in finding a cure than we were 10 years ago when my first Uncle died. Just let her know that there are several Vikings fans hoping for the best.
    Sad as it may sound they aren't. My cousin's wife was on some pretty expensive drugs since her surgery & in an effort to save money so they could afford hers, my cousin quit taking his medication. It was either for high blood pressure or it was a blood thinner of some sort.

Either way, as a result of him not taking his prescribed medicine, he had a stroke while driving & he ended up driving off the road & into the ditch. The stroke/accident left him partially paralyzed with limited communication ability. He is now in the care of a nursing home.

Garland Greene is offline Jersey Retired

Damn that is messed up. That someone has to sacrafice medicine that they need, so that someone else can have theirs. I have my own opinion of it but this is not the thread for it. This is a situation where it doesn't matter what team you cheer for.
    Life has no favorite team. Again let them know that some die hard Vikes fan have everyone in their thoughts.

COJOMAY is offline Jersey Retired

Not to turn the thought of this thread...My prayers are that God will do what's best for your Mom, Singer.
    But to the drug costs. With the new Medicare and more and more program where companies are offering free drugs to those that can't afford them, there is no reason people have to choose between drugs and food or rent.
    As a Medicare recipent, I have to pay for the first $250 of my drugs -- (I take about $600 a month in retail drug costs) and after that my cost is about $50 a month and then goes down to about $20 a month.
    If you know ANYONE who is having trouble getting their drugs paid for, let someone know and things can be worked out so they can have the life saving medicine they need.
    Unfortunately, some older Americans are so proud they won't take handouts but with this Medicare program the costs are minimul.
    Kentucky Vikes Fan

When you require nothing, you get nothing; when you expect nothing, you will find nothing; when you embrace nothing, all you will have is nothing.

"COJOMAY" wrote:
    Not to turn the thought of this thread...My prayers are that God will do what's best for your Mom, Singer.
    But to the drug costs. With the new Medicare and more and more program where companies are offering free drugs to those that can't afford them, there is no reason people have to choose between drugs and food or rent.
    As a Medicare recipent, I have to pay for the first $250 of my drugs -- (I take about $600 a month in retail drug costs) and after that my cost is about $50 a month and then goes down to about $20 a month.
    If you know ANYONE who is having trouble getting their drugs paid for, let someone know and things can be worked out so they can have the life saving medicine they need.
    Unfortunately, some older Americans are so proud they won't take handouts but with this Medicare program the costs are minimul.
    Thanx Cojo. It was my cousins wife & not my mom though. As far as my cousin not taking his drugs, he may have either been to proud to take handouts or he was unaware of all the benefits out there.

It is important to note that IMO, taking aid from the government I have never saw as taking a handout if you have held a job(s) during your life & paid taxes & medicare while you were doing so.

Had some of us known what my cousin was doing, we would have stepprd in to intervene. As it was though, he did this in secrecy & no one knew about it until it was too late.

Billy Boy is offline Hall of Famer

Best wishes Steve.
    Hope everything works out for the best, your family is in my prayers.

All the kids my age pee their pants, it's the coolest.

cogitans is offline Jersey Retired

I'm very sorry to hear that singer. I hope things will take a turn for the better soon.

Thanks to PPE for the sig.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast