Jilly is offline Coach

A Prairie Home Companion

Just got tickets to the "Prairie Home Companion" with Garrison Keillor.
    The show will be here at the Wolf Trap, VA, in three weeks. To be quite honest, I'm not much of a fan but the hubby is, and I got the tickets for him. He likes to download the "News from Lake Wobegon" podcasts.

Anyway, just wondering if anyone else has been to one of his shows and if so, tell me what to expect. Please, just don't tell me I blew $200 bucks!

Marrdro is offline Beware My Spreadsheet, Bitches!

Re: A Prairie Home Companion

I used to listen to him all the time on the radio and have several of his discs.
    Damn funny.

Can't remember the story, but he has one were he is out on lake woebegone (sp) on a pontoon boat and they start to sink.
    Again, damn funny.
    ;D
    Many many thanks to my talented friend Jos for the new Sig.http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v343/josdin00/Vikings/Marrdro_sig.jpg

Schutz is offline Team Alumni

"VikingMD" wrote:
    The show will be here at the Wolf Trap, VA, in three weeks. To be quite honest, I'm not much of a fan but the hubby is, and I got the tickets for him. He likes to download the "News from Lake Wobegon" podcasts.

Anyway, just wondering if anyone else has been to one of his shows and if so, tell me what to expect. Please, just don't tell me I blew $200 bucks!
    I used to listen to it all the time at work(when I wasn't working obviously, though that was alot).
    It's funny stuff, very tame but still very funny, kinda hard to find that in the current market.
    It has some good old folky music, and real good old radio feel.
    My favorite bit is the one where Keillor is a classic Private Investigator and his deadpan delivery is very funny.

cajunvike is offline Jersey Retired

"VikingMD" wrote:

You will be just up the road from me!

But honestly, his shows sell out here very quickly and everyone that I have talked to that has gone to see him has thouroughly enjoyed it.
    I have read a couple of his books, listened to his broadcasts and even have a tape of "How to Speak Minnesotan" from Howard Mohr (a compadre of Keillor's).
    It is hilarous!
    You will enjoy it no doubt.
    BANNED OR DEAD...I'LL TAKE EITHER ONE

Prophet is offline Jersey Retired

I've been to a few, enjoyed them.
    It was interesting to see them do the show when I've listened for decades.
    A slice of MN when you have lived in parts unknown for a while.
    Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please. Mark Twain

Jilly is offline Coach

Thank goodness I got a few responses, not hearing from any Minnesotans was begininng to get me worried.

Can't remember the story, but he has one were he is out on lake woebegone (sp) on a pontoon boat and they start to sink.
    Again, gol 'darnit funny.
    Marr, Garrison has a new book out titled "Pontoon: A Novel of Lake Wobegon", sounds like it might be a good read.

But honestly, his shows sell out here very quickly and everyone that I have talked to that has gone to see him has thouroughly enjoyed it.
    I have read a couple of his books, listened to his broadcasts and even have a tape of "How to Speak Minnesotan" from Howard Mohr (a compadre of Keillor's).
    It is hilarous!
    Cajun, we actually tried to get tickets two years ago but the venue was sold out so thats why we decided to jump on it this time around. Obviously he has quite a following.

I used to listen to it all the time at work(when I wasn't working obviously, though that was alot).
    It's funny stuff, very tame but still very funny, kinda hard to find that in the current market.
    My favorite bit is the one where Keillor is a classic Private Investigator and his deadpan delivery is very funny.
    I've never listened to his show all the way through. I enjoy his storytelling but I'm not sure about all that folky music. Watched the movie last year and I wasn't completely sold.
    We'll see.

Strange thing is, my Puerto Rican husband from Brooklyn NY, is the Garrison Keillor fan. Not sure how that happened.

Marrdro is offline Beware My Spreadsheet, Bitches!

Thank goodness I got a few responses, not hearing from any Minnesotans was begininng to get me worried.
    Start a thread and you will get someone on here to comment on it.
    ;D

Gonna put one on order tonight.
    Thanks.

Many many thanks to my talented friend Jos for the new Sig.http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v343/josdin00/Vikings/Marrdro_sig.jpg

Purple Floyd is offline Jersey Retired
    Blog Entries

He is damn funny and hits the classic small town mannerisms to a "T".

I have this T-shirt that reads: "celebrate life with Ketchup" that pretty much sums up this area, at least a few generations ago.

cajunvike is offline Jersey Retired

"VikingMD" wrote:

Again, gol 'darnit funny.
    Marr, Garrison has a new book out titled "Pontoon: A Novel of Lake Wobegon", sounds like it might be a good read.

It is hilarous!
    Cajun, we actually tried to get tickets two years ago but the venue was sold out so thats why we decided to jump on it this time around. Obviously he has quite a following.

I've never listened to his show all the way through. I enjoy his storytelling but I'm not sure about all that folky music. Watched the movie last year and I wasn't completely sold.
    We'll see.

Strange thing is, my Puerto Rican husband from Brooklyn NY, is the Garrison Keillor fan. Not sure how that happened.
    That is the beauty of the USA...you can indulge in almost anything you desire...free from stereotypes, etc.
    Enjoy the show...and don't worry, you will enjoy the music just fine...if not, it will be over soon enough!
    LOL
    BANNED OR DEAD...I'LL TAKE EITHER ONE