Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 567
    Del Rio Guest

Re: Police report: Terrell Owens attempted suicide

I don't know what happened.

However I will say this, for those of you who think a person needs a clear cut reason to commit suicide your kidding yourselves. For those of you who believe a person who has lots of money and fame has no reason to attempt suicide are fooling yourselves.

I wouldn't be surprised if T.O was addicted to painkillers. I wouldn't be surprised if he had a whole bottle and downed it for no other reason then it made him feel better. I would not be shocked if in 10 years a report comes out that he was abusing prescription medication. It happens all the time.

In the end he is not my teams problem. I hope for him whatever he did weather it was stupidity an addiction a PR ploy, or even an attempt on his own life, I hope he can just shut the fuck up and play football.

singersp is offline PPO Newshound

[size=13pt]T.O. Denies Suicide Attempt[/size]

DALLAS - Flamboyant Dallas Cowboys receiver Terrell Owens denied a police report he attempted suicide, saying he became groggy after mixing painkillers with supplements.

He said Wednesday the confusion likely stemmed from an empty bottle of pain medication found by his publicist, who was with him at the time and called 911. He said the rest of the pills were in a drawer.

"I was non-responsive when she made that call," Owens said. "She made the call out of her judgment for my well-being."

Appearing in a news conference at team headquarters a few hours after leaving a hospital for what a police report described as "a drug overdose," Owens wore workout gear and no bandage on his broken right hand. The star receiver smiled and seemed more amused than peeved at the latest ruckus surrounding him.

Owens blamed a combination of hydrocodone, a generic form of Vicodin, with all-natural supplements for making him ill.

"It's very unfortunate for it to go from an allergic reaction to a suicide attempt," he said.

Owens was released from the hospital before noon. He flashed a thumbs-up to reporters as he left, went home, then made it to team headquarters in time to catch passes from quarterback Drew Bledsoe.

Rescue workers arrived at Owens' home around 8 p.m. Tuesday and took him to an emergency room. When word spread, publicist Kim Etheredge said it was an allergic reaction.

But the story shifted Wednesday morning when several media outlets received a police report -- that had yet to be released by the authorities -- saying Owens had attempted suicide by overdosing on the painkillers, even putting two more pills into his mouth after an unidentified friend, later identified as Etheredge, intervened.

The police document, first reported by WFAA-TV, said Owens was asked by rescue workers "if he was attempting to harm himself, at which time (he) stated: 'Yes."'

When officially released by police, about half the document was blacked out, including the phrases "attempting suicide by prescription pain medication" and "a drug overdose," as well as the details of Owens having two pills pried from his mouth and Owens saying "Yes" when asked if he intended to harm himself.

"I wasn't coherent as they probably thought I was," Owens said. "A number of people were asking me questions. I don't remember the police officers that were in there or the doctors that were in there."

Owens said he feels capable of playing Sunday in Tennessee, despite this incident and his broken hand. He added that he's "not depressed about anything" and that he expects to practice Thursday.

Etheredge also appeared at Owens' news conference, saying she "did not take anything out of his mouth."

"This is sad," she said. "Terrell had a reaction to different pills, and just to state he was trying to commit suicide it was unfair."

"Terrell has 25 million reasons why he should be alive," she added, referring to the $25 million, three-year contract he signed in March with the Cowboys.

"I'm just upset," Etheredge added. "I feel they take advantage of Terrell. Had this been someone else, this may not have happened."

Dallas police officials declined to comment on Etheredge's denials. "We can't discuss the police report because of privacy laws," said a spokesman, Sgt. Gil Cerda.

"If at first you don't succeed, parachuting is not for you"

Prophet Guest

POSTED 9:42 p.m. EDT, September 27, 2006

T.O.'S "PUBLICIST" APPARENTLY HAS ONE CLIENT
    pft.com

One of the questions we're getting from multiple readers in the wake of Wednesday afternoon's train wreck clumsily described as a press conference is this:
    How hard is Donovan McNabb laughing right now?

The other more pressing question is this:
    Who in the hell is Kim Etheredge?

Thanks to some information we received from readers, and from a little Internets sleuthing of our own, here's our answer.

We don't really know.

Terrell Owens' "publicist" is, by all appearances, a Tom Hagen of the P.R. world -- a one-client show.
    We could find nothing linking her to any firm or business providing such services to other athletes or, for that matter, anyone.

But she is a bit of an entrepreneur.
    Apparently, she is a part owner in a company that specializes in hair products for mixed-race consumers.
    (She's not, we suspect, a chiropractor in Florida.)
    On the "Who Are We?" page of the site, the girl on the right looks a lot like the woman who was at the press conference on Wednesday.

It appears that she became Owens' publicist at some point in the summer of 2005, after Owens and agent Drew Rosenhaus embarked on a campaign to get him a new contract in Philly, or a ticket out of town.
    One of her first tasks was to proclaim that Owens missed a post-practice autograph session in August 2005 "because he was injured."

In June 2006, she claimed that Owens was misquoted when he said that he was misquoted in the book bearing his name.

On Tuesday night, Etheredge was with Owens when he became "groggy" and she called 911.

And her most famous (or infamous) moment came on Wednesday, when she said that Owens "has 25 million reasons why he should stay alive."
    (As if the rest of us schmoes with far less cash should take no solace in things like our families.)

We also have a feeling that there might be something more than a master-servant arrangement between the two.
    At one point on Wednesday, Etheredge used the phrase "when he came home from work."
    That specific choice of words implies, in our opinion, that she lives with Owens.

We won't speculate any further as to the nature of the relationship, but we can't imagine that a guy with 25 million reasons why he should stay alive would retain the services of a "publicist" with no other clients, no apparent P.R. business, and no obvious skills at projecting her "client" to the public in a favorable light.

Prophet Guest

Audio clip of true story behind T-Ho ordeal.
    This makes sense.

[size=13pt]Police: Owens had an 'accidental overdose' [/size]

IRVING, Texas - Dallas police have classified Terrell Owens' case as an ``accidental overdose,' not an attempted suicide, closing their investigation Thursday of the Cowboys receiver's hospitalization.

Authorities also released a recording of the brief 911 call Thursday that brought rescue workers to Owens' home, in which publicist Kim Etheredge said ``I think he took too many pills' but never mentioned her client's name or said anything about a suicide attempt.

Police Chief David Kunkle said he had ``great confidence' in his officers' initial report, which said rescue workers responded late Tuesday night to an attempted ``suicide by prescription pain medication.'

``The report, in my opinion, reflects what the officers were told and represents their best interpretation of what happened,' Kunkle said Thursday. ``But that doesn't mean it's the definitive account of the incident. Like all these situations, we're dealing with incomplete information and facts that change.'

The report, obtained by media outlets Wednesday, said Etheredge described Owens as being depressed and indicated that he said ``Yes' when rescue workers asked whether he had tried to harm himself.

Owens said Wednesday he mistakenly mixed the painkillers for a broken hand with supplements he ordinarily takes, causing him to become groggy and incoherent. Etheredge became concerned and called 911.

The 41-second call began politely, with Etheredge saying in an urgent tone, ``Hi, I have an emergency please.'

Far from the anger and outrage she showed at a news conference Wednesday, Etheredge was a bit panicked but composed enough to say ``thank you' before being transferred to a paramedic. She then told the second operator, ``Hi. I need an ambulance please, immediately.'

``I think he took too many pills,' she said. ``Please. Now. What do I do if the pills are down the throat?'

The paramedic instead said they were on the way and asked if he was still breathing. Told that he was, the paramedic reassured Etheredge that rescue workers were en route.

``Thank you,' she said. ``Thank you.'

Within two hours of his hospital release Wednesday morning, Owens was catching passes at team headquarters. He went through a full practice Thursday, his first since breaking his right hand on Sept. 17, and might play Sunday in Tennessee.

At a news conference Wednesday, Owens denied the strongest parts of the police report, and Etheredge lashed out at authorities, saying, ``I am just upset that I just feel they take advantage of Terrell. Had this been someone else, this may not have happened.'

Earlier Thursday, the president of the Dallas Police Association, which represents Dallas police officers, demanded an apology from T.O. and his publicist.

``The officers reacted because they were called to this location to do this job. Now they're being put under a microscope by some fancy little football person,' Senior Cpl. Glenn White said. ``Give me a break. Those officers are 10 times better than this man. ... We police officers don't go out to these calls and make stuff up.'

Reports of an empty pill bottle is a good example of the difference between what officers were told and the story that emerged later. The report indicated that 35 pills were unaccounted for; Owens later said that Etheredge reported seeing an empty bottle, but didn't know the medicine was in a drawer.

``There was initially a belief of more (pills) that he might have taken,' Kunkle said. ``Further investigation leads you to a different conclusion.'

Etheredge could not immediately be reached Thursday. The voice mail on her cell phone was full, and she did not respond to an e-mail from The Associated Press.

Although Owens looked fine in practice, Cowboys coach Bill Parcells said he might not decide until Saturday morning whether Owens makes the trip to Tennessee, and he'll probably wait until that night to determine whether to use him in the game.

Parcells wants to evaluate all the medical information he can get. That includes details about Owens' broken hand and possibly a mental evaluation. Owens is expected to practice again Friday.

``I have to, as the coach, rely on other people to keep me informed as to really what's going on,' Parcells said. ``I can't form my own independent opinion other than those involving, `Is his hand functional and can he play on Sunday?' If my medical people tell me those things are in place, and then he looks like he's (OK), we'll make that consideration then.'

He pointed to the fact that Owens was released from the hospital after being checked out there. ``If they deemed it appropriate to release him, there must be a reason why they did that,' he said.

Owens wore receiving gloves Thursday with bandages under the right one to protect the hand bone he broke in a game a week ago Sunday. A metal plate was screwed into the bone the following day.

``He was running fine,' backup quarterback Tony Romo said. ``I thought he caught the ball pretty good. I expect him to be ready to go this weekend.'

Said fellow receiver Sam Hurd: ``I asked him how he felt and he said, `I feel good to go. All good.' He didn't say nothing about his hand hurting.'

Owens declined to speak with reporters, saying he did his talking Wednesday. But he sure was visible while media was allowed in the locker room.

Wearing a small bandage over the scar on his right hand, and a black T-shirt that read ``U Big Dummy' above a picture of TV character Fred Sanford, Owens walked into the locker room, sat on a sofa and unwrapped his lunch, then decided to take it into an adjacent, off-limits dining area.

When he returned, Owens shooed away reporters, then Owens went back to the same spot on the sofa where he'd been before. He grabbed a copy of the Cowboys Weekly newspaper to occupy his time.

Among the articles that caught his attention: ``Young Receivers Have Opportunity To Step Up After Broken Finger Sidelines Owens,' and a scouting report of the Eagles, next week's foe.

Prophet Guest

POSTED 9:07 a.m. EDT; LAST UPDATED 10:21 a.m. EDT, September 29, 2006
    OWENS FIRES TRAINER
    pft.com

Perhaps the most telling developments of the past 24 hours regarding the T.O. saga have been the most ignored.

In Thursday's Dallas Morning News, Owens' personal trainer revealed that Owens was distraught on Monday night because he was unable to be with his seven-year-old son on the boy's birthday, and because his fiancee' responded to Owens' request for a "break" in the engagement by breaking up with him.

Per Friday's DMN, Owens reacted to the revelations by firing the trainer.

"He shouldn't have been telling you anything about my personal life anyway," Owens said. "That's where it stops – right there.
    He should have never said anything remotely involving me or my personal life, especially my son or even my ex-girl.

"He is a victim of what I have fallen victim to over the course of my career," Owens added. "He shouldn't have said anything about my personal life – period.
    Now I really have to be guarded as far as who I talk to.
    If I can't trust my own trainer, I can't trust nobody."

In our view, Owens' swift decision to get rid of his trainer supports the notion that Wednesday's dog-and-publicist show was aimed at doing one thing and one thing only -- ensuring that the Cowboys would not have sufficient ammunition to conclude that T.O. has a non-football illness that prevents him from playing, which would have enabled the team to shut him down for the season, and not pay him the balance on five million of his reasons to stay alive.

While the decision of the Dallas police to call the matter an accidental overdose and move on is prompting many to conclude definitively that there was no suicide attempt, the sound bites we heard on SportsCenter last night from the powers-that-be in Big D strongly suggest that the authorities simply opted not to devote resources to a matter which, even if T.O. tried to commit suicide, did not involve a violation of the law by him.
    Instead, the cops have decided to allow the media to further investigate the matter.

Also, we suspect that the Dallas P.D. received a letter from a lawyer or two threatening litigation if the ultimate conclusion were that Owens tried to end his own life.

As we've previously said, this whole matter can be put to bed if Owens were to simply authorize the hospital and the doctors to produce his records and to explain what happened.
    Was there an effort to induce vomiting?
    Was he given liquid charcoal or ipecac?
    Or was he simply groggy from accidentally taking an extra hydrocodone and/or too many supplements?

Until Owens puts forth the medical information that would confirm his version of the events, we can't conclude with 100 percent certainty that this wasn't a suicide attempt.

As we close the book on this one (we mean it this time), we've got one final thought.
    Roughly a month before Kurt Cobain of Nirvana shot himself in April 1994, he was rushed to the hospital due to what was described at the time as an accidental drug overdose.

After Cobain died, his wife Courtney Love said that the "accident" had actually been a suicide attempt.

"Prophet" wrote:
    POSTED 9:07 a.m. EDT; LAST UPDATED 10:21 a.m. EDT, September 29, 2006
    OWENS FIRES TRAINER
    I can't believe T. O.D. fired a woman of her statue.
    ;D

I'm sure Parcells said the firing won't be a distraction.

Prophet Guest

Jones has been around for a while, this says a lot about how much of a distraction T-Ho is.
    Amazing to me that anyone would sign this fruitcake.

================================================== ========

KFFL
    Cowboys | Owens' saga the worst Jones has experienced
    Sat, 30 Sep 2006 07:01:34 -0700

Todd Archer, of the Dallas Morning News, reports Dallas Cowboys owner Jerry Jones admitted that the past week's incident involving WR Terrell Owens (illness/hand) being hospitalized for an adverse reaction to pain-killing medication have been the most chaotic he's ever experienced as the owner of the franchise for 17 years. "This one had more visibility, had more intense local and more national interest than anything I have experienced with any of our players or team since I've been with the Cowboys," said Jones.

Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 567