Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
    Prophet Guest

Re: Police report: Terrell Owens attempted suicide

KFFL
    Cowboys | Owens' publicist says he did not attempt suicide
    Wed, 27 Sep 2006 08:33:10 -0700

Updating an ongoing storyline, ESPN's Ed Werder reports Dallas Cowboys WR Terrell Owens' publicist said Owens did not try to attempt suicide. His publicist said Owens was groggy when asked questions by the first response unit and there was a miscommunication because he of it. During a press conference, the Dallas Police Department would not confirm or deny Owens attempting suicide. The Cowboys have called a press conference for the afternoon to discuss the situation. Owens has already been ruled out for the team's Week 4 game.

Del Rio Guest

Maybe he didn't.

Maybe the only way to get people off his back is to fake it and get people feeling sorry for him.

Maybe it is the press too damn eager for a story.

Maybe I'll have a burrito for lunch and maybe not.

snowinapril is offline Jersey Retired

"Del" wrote:
    Maybe he didn't.

Maybe the only way to get people off his back is to fake it and get people feeling sorry for him.

Maybe it is the press too gol 'darnit eager for a story.

All ESPN is doing is replaying the same story over and over and over again.
    I would rather see the Twins highlights over and over again.

The media should be ashamed of themselves.
    It isn't a story until this afternoon when the Cowboys give their report to the media but the media wants to drag this out all the way up to then.
    Granted this is news, but it doesn't warrant this much attention.

Benet is offline Star Spokesman

A pro-athlete who never before has shown any signs of depression apparently attempting suicide isn't newsworthy?!

I'm sorry snow, but that's quite possibly the most naive statement I've seen in a while. It's a HUGE story. You can't blame the media for scrambling to put something together while it's trying to get a story out, if ESPN doesn't get it out there first then Fox Sports will.. and if they don't CBS Sportsline will. I hate this "I blame the media everytime something bad happens" mentality. It's such a cop-out.

And come on, do you really expect Owens' agent to admit he attempted suicide?! Bloody hell..

cajunvike is offline Jersey Retired

"Del" wrote:
    Maybe he didn't.

Maybe it is the press too gol 'darnit eager for a story.

And maybe you will be flutterblasting your co-workers this afternoon and maybe not!
    LOL
    BANNED OR DEAD...I'LL TAKE EITHER ONE

Freya is offline Team Alumni

A woman was with him when this happened. Curious. Even more curious if it was his publicist.

I guess I'm going to be interested in Parcells press conference for a change.

Personally, I don't think there is intelligent life on other planets. Why should other planets be any different from this one?

Prophet Guest

I think the butler did it.

"Benet" wrote:
    A pro-athlete who never before has shown any signs of depression apparently attempting suicide isn't newsworthy?!

I'm sorry snow, but that's quite possibly the most naive statement I've seen in a while. It's a HUGE story. You can't blame the media for scrambling to put something together while it's trying to get a story out, if ESPN doesn't get it out there first then Fox Sports will.. and if they don't CBS Sportsline will. I hate this "I blame the media everytime something bad happens" mentality. It's such a cop-out.

And come on, do you really expect Owens' agent to admit he attempted suicide?! Bloody hell..
    Well Bennet, read further into this than just what is typed out.
    I am just saying that TO is the little boy that cried wolf too many times.
    I will not blame the media for a "suicide attempt" but will say that the way they have given TO a platform the last 3 years, hasn't helped him if he truly has mental problems.
    The 49ers and Eagles both tried to get him to seek counseling, the guy refused.

I never once said that a "suicide attempt" wasn't noteworthy or newsworthy.
    I only said that it wasn't worth all the speculation that ESPN was giving it.
    They have stopped regular programming on 3 of there 4 stations to replay the police and emt responders press conferences over and over.
    One of the three stations is got everybody under the sun that knows TO talking about how this is a tragedy.
    What are they all going to be saying if TO speaks out and say that this wasn't a "Suicide Attempt."
    Fine do the new REPORTING, get the story first.
    It is all a non issue until you hear it straight from the horses (or the Tuna's) mouth.
    If he doesn't admit it, it doesn't matter.

In the meantime, I would rather have the reporters outside Simms hospital room getting me a meaningful story about his recovery.

The Horse told Prime Time (Sanders) that it was a misunderstanding within the last hour.
    Makes everyone look pretty stupid at this point, and who's fault is that, the media for jumping to conclusions.

Now, if TO comes back and say later that it was an ATTEMPT, then I guess I look stupid but that is the chance that i am willing to take.

Benet is offline Star Spokesman

"snowinapril" wrote:
    "Benet" wrote:

Well Bennet, read further into this than just what is typed out.
    I am just saying that TO is the little boy that cried wolf too many times.
    I will not blame the media for a "suicide attempt" but will say that the way they have given TO a platform the last 3 years, hasn't helped him if he truly has mental problems.
    The 49ers and Eagles both tried to get him to seek counseling, the guy refused.

I never once said that a "suicide attempt" wasn't noteworthy or newsworthy.
    I only said that it wasn't worth all the speculation that ESPN was giving it.
    They have stopped regular programming on 3 of there 4 stations to replay the police and emt responders press conferences over and over.
    One of the three stations is got everybody under the sun that knows TO talking about how this is a tragedy.
    What are they all going to be saying if TO speaks out and say that this wasn't a "Suicide Attempt."
    Fine do the new REPORTING, get the story first.
    It is all a non issue until you hear it straight from the horses (or the Tuna's) mouth.
    If he doesn't admit it, it doesn't matter.

In the meantime, I would rather have the reporters outside Simms hospital room getting me a meaningful story about his recovery.

Fair enough.. I haven't got ESPN but I can certainly imagine this story is dominating the airwaves. It certainly seems as though there's more to this than is publicly known, as you say, more sources are saying Owens was groggy and pretty much out of it when they asked him if he ingested all those painkillers intentionally to harm himself.

I stick by what I said earlier tho, the media took what they knew and ran with it.. There was nothing else they could do unless they wanted their competition to get the story out first, wrong or not. If they apologise for being wrong, then great, but I doubt they will. They'll just say "new developments have arisen which contradict what we reported earlier." Oh well, these are imperfect times.

And you could've spelled my name right, it's only 5 letters after all.

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast