Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast
    scottishvike is offline Hall of Famer
    Blog Entries

Plot To Blow Up UK To US Airplanes Disrupted

'Airlines terror plot' disrupted

A plot to blow up planes in flight from the UK to the US and commit "mass murder on an unimaginable scale" has been disrupted, Scotland Yard has said.
    It is thought the plan was to detonate explosive devices smuggled in hand luggage on to as many as 10 aircraft.

Police were searching premises with 21 people in custody after arrests in the London area and West Midlands.

High security is causing delays at all UK airports. The threat level to the UK has been raised by MI5 to critical.

According to MI5's website, critical threat level - the highest - means "an attack is expected imminently and indicates an extremely high level of threat to the UK".

Metropolitan Police Deputy Assistant Commissioner Paul Stephenson said the alleged plotters had intended "mass murder on an unimaginable scale".

Passengers have to put any carry-on luggage in plastic bags

"We are confident that we have disrupted a plan by terrorists to cause untold death and destruction and to commit, quite frankly, mass murder," he said.

"We believe that the terrorists' aim was to smuggle explosives on to aeroplanes in hand luggage and to detonate these in flight. We also believe that the intended targets were flights from the United Kingdom to the United States of America.

"I can confirm that a significant number of people are currently in custody and the operation is ongoing."

The majority of the arrests were in London with some in the Thames Valley and Birmingham, he said.

Police had spoken to a "good number of community leaders to make them aware that a major operation was under way," he added.

According to BBC sources the "principal characters" suspected of being involved in the plot were British-born. Arrests were made in High Wycombe, London and Birmingham.

BBC home affairs correspondent Andy Tighe said police sources had told him they had found "interesting items" which were being examined.

In other major developments:

The US Department of Homeland Security increased the threat level applied to US-bound commercial flights originating in the UK

The Home Office confirmed there had been three meetings overnight and on Thursday morning of the Cabinet's emergency committee, Cobra, chaired by Home Secretary John Reid, to discuss the terror alert

A spokesman for Number 10 said Tony Blair had briefed US President George Bush on the situation during the night

All passengers were banned from taking hand luggage onto flights, while the government warned of delays.
    BBC home affairs correspondent Daniel Sandford said he did not think the police believed an attack was imminent.

I was handed a piece of paper saying that pretty much nothing could be taken on board the plane

"The reason for raising the threat level is in case there is some other sub-plot, back-up plot around this that the police aren't aware of," he said.

BBC security correspondent Gordon Corera said given that most liquids were being banned from flights it suggested the suspected plot involved "some kind of liquid explosive".

He also said the plot had an "international dimension", while the investigation had involved the CIA.

"The Americans have definitely been involved for quite some time," he said.

Prime Minister Tony Blair is on holiday in the Caribbean, but Downing Street said the police operation was undertaken with his full support and he had been "in constant touch".

Transparent bags

The Department for Transport set out the details of the security measures at UK airports.

THREAT LEVEL
    The current threat level is assessed as critical as of 10th August 2006 - this means that an attack is expected imminently and indicates an extremely high level of threat to the UK

Passengers are not allowed to take any hand luggage on to any flights in the UK, the department said.

Only the barest essentials - including passports and wallets - will be allowed to be carried on board in transparent plastic bags.

"We hope that these measures, which are being kept under review by the government, will need to be in place for a limited period only," the statement said.

British Airways said that passengers who do not wish to fly on Thursday could rebook on flights leaving over the next two weeks.

At Stansted airport, more than 2,000 passengers, clutching their plastic bags, snaked around the terminal queuing to pass through customs.

BBC News Story

AngloVike is offline Jersey Retired
    Blog Entries

Re: Plot To Blow Up UK To US Airplanes Disrupted

It's causing some problems for travelling and all BA short haul flights have been cancelled for today. I know its messed up a couple of guys in my office who were supposed to be flying to customer sites to do testing today.
    Have to wait and see how it affects my holiday flight out next week to the Channel Islands, least by then things will be clearer for all in terms of check-in times, baggage etc.

Still would rather read about delays to flights than the alternative scenario had the alleged attacks took place. Hats off to the Police and security services :cheers:
    Time spent annoying a Packer fan is never time wasted...

shockzilla is offline PPO Ambassador
    Blog Entries

"AngloVike" wrote:
    It's causing some problems for travelling and all BA short haul flights have been cancelled for today. I know its messed up a couple of guys in my office who were supposed to be flying to customer sites to do testing today.
    Have to wait and see how it affects my holiday flight out next week to the Channel Islands, least by then things will be clearer for all in terms of check-in times, baggage etc.

Still would rather read about delays to flights than the alternative scenario had the alleged attacks took place. Hats off to the Police and security services :cheers:
    Amen to that, Brother! It's nice to know we have such great friends across the Big Pond! :salute:
    PPO Ambassador, Defender of the Purple Faith and Guardian of the Gates of Valhalla

cajunvike is offline Jersey Retired

Good catch by the Brits!
    BANNED OR DEAD...I'LL TAKE EITHER ONE

triedandtruevikesfan is offline Jersey Retired

CNN

They said there could have been up to 50 people.... they caught 21. This could be a very scary day. I know that a lot of our business travelers are concerned.

An email that I got this morning to advise our passengers of...

NO LIQUIDS OR GELS OF ANY KIND WILL BE PERMITTED IN CARRY-ON BAGGAGE. ITEMS MUST BE IN CHECKED BAGGAGE. This includes all beverages, shampoo, suntan lotion, creams, tooth paste, hair gel, and other items of similar consistency.
    Exception: Baby formula, breast milk, or juice if a baby or small child is traveling; prescription medicine with a name that matches the passenger’s ticket; and insulin and essential other non-prescription medicines

Beverages purchased in the sterile area must be consumed before boarding because they will not be permitted onboard the aircraft.
    Passengers traveling from the U.K. to the U.S. will be subject to a more extensive screening process.
    Some measures will not be visible to the public. In light of the elevated threat level, the Federal Air Marshals Service (FAMS) will provide expanded mission coverage for flights from the United Kingdom to the United States.

These measures will be constantly evaluated and updated when circumstances warrant. DHS and its components have coordinated closely with the air carrier industry, airports, and state and local stakeholders to implement these significant, but necessary, security measures. The traveling public can assist these agencies in carrying out their important security duties by:

Packing lightly, without clutter to facilitate easier screening.
    Check with your air carrier well before your flight departs for information on when you should arrive at the airport.
    Cooperating with TSA personnel at all checkpoints and gates because TSA Security Officers will be checking carry-on baggage at the gate.
    Being attentive and vigilant to any suspicious activity.
    Protecting U.S.Borders. U.S. Customs and Border Protection will increase enforcement efforts in international arrival areas including the use of advanced targeting tools, special response teams including baggage and aircraft search teams, baggage x-ray equipment, specially-trained canine units, and explosive detection technology.

DHS has also mandated that all flights from the U.K. transmit passenger manifest information for intensive screening prior to departure from the gate. In addition, passengers on these flights and all other international flights will be subject to heightened inspection upon arrival in the U.S.

AngloVike is offline Jersey Retired
    Blog Entries

I see we are now getting US sky marshals coming across now to be on flights from the UK to US, good move.

wonder why it always seems to be United, AA & Continental that get targeted - anyone know if their security is supposed to be less compared to other carriers ?
    Time spent annoying a Packer fan is never time wasted...

Ltrey33 is offline Jersey Retired

DEFINATELY a great catch by the British. They saved a whole lotta lives today. Could you imagine blowing up 10 airplanes? Think of how many lives would be lost...it's horrible. I just hope it's enough to foil the plot for good!

BloodyHorns82 is offline Jersey Retired Feed The Frog Champion

"AngloVike" wrote:
    I see we are now getting US sky marshals coming across now to be on flights from the UK to US, good move.

wonder why it always seems to be United, AA & Continental that get targeted - anyone know if their security is supposed to be less compared to other carriers ?
    Because all of their names have to do with the U.S.

Mr. Purple is offline Ring of Fame

Wow, Thank god they stopped them.This is just crazy...I dont even kno what to say.

Theres NOTHING greater then a Florida Gator!
    "I promise everyone this. When Childress is let go in two years I can honestly say this.
    "I am not surprised"."-PurplePackerEater

BadlandsVikings is offline Jersey Retired

Good stop, glad to see those dirty basterds are being stopped from killing people

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast