Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    akvikefan89 is offline Star Spokesman

Re: Pleased as punch and proud as a peacock!

"coreychavous21" wrote:
    "akvikefan89" wrote:
    "TheAnimal93" wrote:
    I am just as happy as a step-dad can get right now. The boy who is 13 and got his first taste of organized football today. He wasnt sure that me andGF/fiance/whatever were going to make it even though I assured him that hell and high water wasnt holding me/us back. This was his first scrimmage and his first game is next thurs. He got this big old fat grin on his face when he saw us in the bleachers.
    Well, what do ya know he got himself a 1/2 sack and was splitting double teams like a pro. He is a starter on both sides of the ball and was doing really well against heavier kids. He didnt get in on many tackles because they ran away from him most of the time and was double teamed almost all of the time. He played both guard positions on both sides of the ball and even though this was his first taste of it I think that he will do well. He says he likes the defensive side of the ball the most and I will have to agree with him, he seems more motivated on D.
    Any tips on technique will be greatly appreciated. My organized football equates to about a 1/2 cup of coffee so any help would be great. We are going to work on Saturdays on technique and whatnot.
    Man, I dont know who was more excited, me or him. We drove his mom crazy yelling and smacking high-fives on the way home.
    Booyah!!!!!
    :grin:
    #67 ROCKS THE WEST SIDE!!!! :wink:
    :shock: :lol:

Sounds like alot of fun. I loved playing organized football, and I play street all the time. I am a QB/WR/CB. what pos. does your son play btw?
    Do you play highschool ball? What grade are you in?
    I'm in my sophmore year of highschool. I played football till I was thirteen. Now I play street.

cc21 is offline Ring of Fame

"akvikefan89" wrote:
    "coreychavous21" wrote:
    "akvikefan89" wrote:
    "TheAnimal93" wrote:
    I am just as happy as a step-dad can get right now. The boy who is 13 and got his first taste of organized football today. He wasnt sure that me andGF/fiance/whatever were going to make it even though I assured him that hell and high water wasnt holding me/us back. This was his first scrimmage and his first game is next thurs. He got this big old fat grin on his face when he saw us in the bleachers.
    Well, what do ya know he got himself a 1/2 sack and was splitting double teams like a pro. He is a starter on both sides of the ball and was doing really well against heavier kids. He didnt get in on many tackles because they ran away from him most of the time and was double teamed almost all of the time. He played both guard positions on both sides of the ball and even though this was his first taste of it I think that he will do well. He says he likes the defensive side of the ball the most and I will have to agree with him, he seems more motivated on D.
    Any tips on technique will be greatly appreciated. My organized football equates to about a 1/2 cup of coffee so any help would be great. We are going to work on Saturdays on technique and whatnot.
    Man, I dont know who was more excited, me or him. We drove his mom crazy yelling and smacking high-fives on the way home.
    Booyah!!!!!
    #67 ROCKS THE WEST SIDE!!!! :wink:
    :shock: :lol:

Sounds like alot of fun. I loved playing organized football, and I play street all the time. I am a QB/WR/CB. what pos. does your son play btw?
    Do you play highschool ball? What grade are you in?
    I'm in my sophmore year of highschool. I played football till I was thirteen. Now I play street.
    Cool I'm gonna be a junior this year. School starts on monday I play hishschool ball. Our first game is tomorrow. It has just been downpoaring hear like all day so hopefully we still will have our game. Theres a flash flood warning and stuff. Not fun.

Del Rio Guest

Well if your state is anything like ours the game should be fun with a wet field.

A lot of HS's here don't have a crowned field so it turns into a swamp. Muddy and fun.

cc21 is offline Ring of Fame

"Del Rio" wrote:
    Well if your state is anything like ours the game should be fun with a wet field.

A lot of HS's here don't have a crowned field so it turns into a swamp. Muddy and fun.
    It will be fun as hell if its wet. But if the lightning keeps up we wont have it at all.

ultravikingfan is offline Administrator

Well I do not know if anybody here can give better advice on lineplay like Del Rio; very sound advice from a guy who knows firsthand.

I really do a lot of coaching the mental aspects of the game with my players. Here are some of my key points:

1. The king of them all:
    -----What the mind believes, the body can do! I truly believe in this theory. The player has to have his confidence built-up. This can be obtained by a lot of positive reinforcement by coaches, family, and other players. Now, they have to be realistic. Cannot let them entertain thoughts above pushing back 5 guys at one time. After time and reps, the player will start to really believe that there is nothing standing in his way.

2. Focus, focus, focus!
    -----A player needs to stay focused. The players I coach are all 8 years old. The focus level for that age is a tough one to maintain. The directions must be very clear cut for them. At any chance their mind starts to wander or they shift their focus to something else it must be redirected back to their task. You gotta stay on their butta a lot and you may seem like a bear...but this is most crucial when it really counts; the game is on the line.

3. Give 100% every, single play. They must understand that is it of the utmost importance that they treat every play the same. They hit with the the same intensity. They pursue the ball with the same speed. Now, when they believe that they are giving 100%, you push them to give more. Trust me...they can give more! When they let-up, let them know that they must not lower their intensity level.

4. As far as Defensive Line play is concerned, never, never, never allow yourself to get blocked or taken out of the play. As most will tell you, games are won and lost at the line of scrimmage. Do everything in their power to maintain a good base, head-up, and and awareness of what is happening. I like to think as an Offensive Lineman as a pest, like a fly. If the fly is on you...you gotta get rid of him. Do not wait to get hit. More often than not, the player who allows himself to get hit first and take the brunt of the collision will lose the battle. He has got to look at that player lined-up across from him and want to punsish him every play. You are the stronger, faster, more aggresive; not him. Let me stress this again, ALWAYS MAINTAIN YOUR BASE! This can be practiced at home. Place something about 10 feet long and a foot wide between the players legs. Have them get in a good 3 point stance with their head up. Call a cadence and have them fire out while staying low and maintaining that base. They must learn to get their hands inside of the other players. If they want to control the block, they cannot have their hands of the shoulders. They must come from underneath and shoot the hands to the chest. Let them push you also. Try to get them to cross their legs or get their feet close. Then, throw them off balance. Then they will learn to importance of a good base. Bad base = laying on the ground.

5. Let the player know that he controls the tempo of the game. He is going to win every battle. And most importantly, he must go in their with the expectation of making every tackle; that is what the defense is striving to do. If a player is holding you, you make him pay the next time. Do not even let him get a chance to grab you. Straight-up bullrush him and before he blinks his eye he will be on the ground. Remember, the aggressor wins.

These are just some key points that I feel are very important. I believe football is 80% mental, 20% physical. You begin to realize the importance of the mental aspect once you start teaching younger players how to play the game. Del Rio would tell you the same. I would rather have a player with a good head on his shoulders that is slightly less athletic, than a stud who has no clue.

Let your boy know that I wish him the best of luck! Let nothing stand in his way! I always tell my players, "You gotta take the fight to him". Him meaning the player he will engage! The team that plays tougher and more physical is going to win.

Keep us informed!

TheAnimal93 is offline Team Alumni

Thanks Ultra, some very sound advice. I am giving him plenty of positive reinforcement for sure.
    Every time I see him now it's not "hey boy". It's "there's that football playa". He likes that.

Thanks for all the input guys!!!

Yea Baby!!! The boy's team won their game tonight and lo and behold #67 got himself a 1/2 sack and two tackles. HA HA!!!!
    Didnt get to work with him last Sat. because of the weather but plan to use the helpful tips that I received from the two PP.O coaches this Sat.
    He likes to talk trash I find out because he was bragging that he made the kid that went up against mad as heck, as he said.
    He ate dinner and was in bed soon after. I love it. "I'm tired", he says. I told him that he should be. If he wasn't, he wasn't trying hard enough.
    He got off to a slow start but was busting through the line with great regularity but needs a ton of work following the ball. I caught him turning his back to the play more than once. I told him to never do this he could get blindsided like this one kid did and I know that "he" was seeing stars. It took him a sec to get up off the ground.
    The "Wildcats" are his team and they won 16-6. They have a real decent running back and that kid has some moves I tell ya. He was leaving jock straps all over the field. His dad was grinning his azz off.
    My kid has alot to learn but it is going to be fun helping him out.
    #67 ROCKS BABY!!!!!

Del Rio Guest

It's all about pursuit angles, I think that it is something that comes with time. One of the most important things in football.

On a side note my HS team lost 14-0. The QB sucks he has thrown 7 interceptions in 2 games. My defensive guys were so tired. I told him he is going to wing, but then the head coach came in and told me that his dad owns a major parts store and donates over half our money to us so that wouldn't be a good idea.

Needless to say I am very pissed today.

"Del Rio" wrote:
    It's all about pursuit angles, I think that it is something that comes with time. One of the most important things in football.

On a side note my HS team lost 14-0. The QB sucks he has thrown 7 interceptions in 2 games. My defensive guys were so tired. I told him he is going to wing, but then the head coach came in and told me that his dad owns a major parts store and donates over half our money to us so that wouldn't be a good idea.

Needless to say I am very pissed today.
    Oh great, Corporate America at it's best!!!(worst) Seven int's is a little more than any dad could stomach. I am amazed that this kid's ego is more important than the whole team. :roll:
    I would be pissed as well.

Del Rio Guest

I am actually the kids head coach. The Varsity coach is the big dog and he is the one that came in and told me. I am half tempted to can him anyway. He is athletic but he is scared back there. He came off the field he was throwing water bottles and shit and I sat him down asked his what the deal was and he was pissing and moaning about A) the offensive line and B) he said the defensive line was calling him names and threatening him.

I have no idea what to do. The o-line is fine. He got sacked 2 times and one of those was his own fault. He throws floating ducks no spiral no velocity they just float......

My brother did manage a sack so that is good. Unlike a lot of HS coaches though I rotate my guys, I am a firm believer that a lot of those guys are all about the same, or that there is a real competitor who hasn't had a chance to proove themselves. Every defensive player had a chance to play yesterday and they all did very well so that is the one bright spot.

BUT Animal it sounds like your boy is a beast. Over time he will get his angles down and he will be making tackles 10-20 yards downfield! :grin:
    Make sure you push base on him. Always have a base, use the power from your legs your waist and lay the smack down.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast