Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    TheAnimal93 is offline Team Alumni

Pleased as punch and proud as a peacock!

I am just as happy as a step-dad can get right now. The boy who is 13 and got his first taste of organized football today. He wasnt sure that me andGF/fiance/whatever were going to make it even though I assured him that hell and high water wasnt holding me/us back. This was his first scrimmage and his first game is next thurs. He got this big old fat grin on his face when he saw us in the bleachers.
    Well, what do ya know he got himself a 1/2 sack and was splitting double teams like a pro. He is a starter on both sides of the ball and was doing really well against heavier kids. He didnt get in on many tackles because they ran away from him most of the time and was double teamed almost all of the time. He played both guard positions on both sides of the ball and even though this was his first taste of it I think that he will do well. He says he likes the defensive side of the ball the most and I will have to agree with him, he seems more motivated on D.
    Any tips on technique will be greatly appreciated. My organized football equates to about a 1/2 cup of coffee so any help would be great. We are going to work on Saturdays on technique and whatnot.
    Man, I dont know who was more excited, me or him. We drove his mom crazy yelling and smacking high-fives on the way home.
    Booyah!!!!!
    :grin:
    #67 ROCKS THE WEST SIDE!!!! :wink:

akvikefan89 is offline Star Spokesman

Re: Pleased as punch and proud as a peacock!

"TheAnimal93" wrote:
    I am just as happy as a step-dad can get right now. The boy who is 13 and got his first taste of organized football today. He wasnt sure that me andGF/fiance/whatever were going to make it even though I assured him that hell and high water wasnt holding me/us back. This was his first scrimmage and his first game is next thurs. He got this big old fat grin on his face when he saw us in the bleachers.
    Well, what do ya know he got himself a 1/2 sack and was splitting double teams like a pro. He is a starter on both sides of the ball and was doing really well against heavier kids. He didnt get in on many tackles because they ran away from him most of the time and was double teamed almost all of the time. He played both guard positions on both sides of the ball and even though this was his first taste of it I think that he will do well. He says he likes the defensive side of the ball the most and I will have to agree with him, he seems more motivated on D.
    Any tips on technique will be greatly appreciated. My organized football equates to about a 1/2 cup of coffee so any help would be great. We are going to work on Saturdays on technique and whatnot.
    Man, I dont know who was more excited, me or him. We drove his mom crazy yelling and smacking high-fives on the way home.
    Booyah!!!!!
    :shock: :lol:

Sounds like alot of fun. I loved playing organized football, and I play street all the time. I am a QB/WR/CB. what pos. does your son play btw?

AngloVike is offline Jersey Retired
    Blog Entries

Great to hear that Animal !- and I bet the motivation was knowing that you and the GF/fiance were there watching too.
    I'd suggest hooking up with Del Rio as he's pretty savvy on the defensive side of the ball and does some coaching as well - if I remember correctly
    Time spent annoying a Packer fan is never time wasted...

"akvikefan89" wrote:
    "TheAnimal93" wrote:
    Booyah!!!!!

Sounds like alot of fun. I loved playing organized football, and I play street all the time. I am a QB/WR/CB. what pos. does your son play btw?
    To answer your question AK.^^^^^^^. And what is the shock in the fiance? Even animals need love too. :lol:

Anglo....I threw that out there on the chance that DR would. :grin:

Ltrey33 is offline Jersey Retired

That's awesome animal. Just make sure he keeps having fun with it! 13 is a good age to start too, I tried when I was about 10 and didn't have any fun with organized football (coach was kind of a dick too, lol) so I quit. I was too young, but at his age he should stick with it if he likes it!

thepacksux is offline Asst. Coach

i started by playin flag football when i was like 8 and loved it. all of my friends were either on my team or on other teams so every game was with/against friends. Nothing beat recess during elementary school though, we used to play tackle and every time an aid would come by to yell at us for no tackling, we just told her there was a fumble and we all were diving trying to get the ball... worked everytime!!

Del Rio Guest

Animal first off I saw peacock in the thread and I knew this was yours.

That's great your step-son is enjoying it man. I didn't catch if he was an end or a DT but since you say he is doubled all the time I would guess DT unless they are using their TE which is common.

Either way if he plays on the line, the best thing he can do and I mean the best is get off the ball. He has no snap count he has to watch the ball out of the corner of his eye and the faster he can fire off it the better. You can practice at home, it's easy if you guys are into that stuff.

Next is hands use em, gotta rip, gotta swim. Make sure he knows to break down, if he gets through the line untouched or if he works himself free he needs to gain composure over his movement or (break down) Here's a good way to practice a few things at once.

Since your an old man :grin: jk kneel down and put the ball on the ground. Have him line up where he would on the ball. Throw out a cadence mix it up get loud and quiet keep him guessing. Then just move the ball back.

Have him fire off and run past you 3 yards and break down, which would be spread his legs about shoulder width apart square his shoulders to the goal line and bend at the knees a bit.

Sounds like he is a natural anyway. Another good way to practice rips and swims is to pass block your son and let him practice ripping up through your arms......

I's sure his coaches tell him all this so some random advice is.

-if you are doubled and they are rocking your world DO NOT get pushed into the LB's drop to the ground.

-Keep hands up even if you are on the line of scrimmage tip a pass.

-If a guy is obviously trying to cut you take a step back punch your arms down and hurdle his Azz.

-If a guy is holding you all the time make your jersey stretch by steping away from the hand that his holding you.

-If He's holding you by the inside of your shoulder pads on your chest (where a good OL should) either pinch him as hard as you can on his underarm or spin.

Mainly just have fun. My HS team plays today after I get off work so I am excited about that. I have a good group of kids. Ultra is a great coach I'm sure he could throw some tips your way.

"Del Rio" wrote:
    Animal first off I saw peacock in the thread and I knew this was yours. lmfao!!!!
    That's great your step-son is enjoying it man. I didn't catch if he was an end or a DT but since you say he is doubled all the time I would guess DT unless they are using their TE which is common.

Either way if he plays on the line, the best thing he can do and I mean the best is get off the ball. He has no snap count he has to watch the ball out of the corner of his eye and the faster he can fire off it the better. You can practice at home, it's easy if you guys are into that stuff.

Next is hands use em, gotta rip, gotta swim. Make sure he knows to break down, if he gets through the line untouched or if he works himself free he needs to gain composure over his movement or (break down) Here's a good way to practice a few things at once.

Since your an old man :grin: jk(hit the nail on the head anyways :lol: ) kneel down and put the ball on the ground. Have him line up where he would on the ball. Throw out a cadence mix it up get loud and quiet keep him guessing. Then just move the ball back.

Have him fire off and run past you 3 yards and break down, which would be spread his legs about shoulder width apart square his shoulders to the goal line and bend at the knees a bit.

Sounds like he is a natural anyway. Another good way to practice rips and swims is to pass block your son and let him practice ripping up through your arms......

I's sure his coaches tell him all this so some random advice is.

-if you are doubled and they are rocking your world DO NOT get pushed into the LB's drop to the ground.

-Keep hands up even if you are on the line of scrimmage tip a pass.

-If a guy is obviously trying to cut you take a step back punch your arms down and hurdle his Azz.

-If a guy is holding you all the time make your jersey stretch by steping away from the hand that his holding you.

-If He's holding you by the inside of your shoulder pads on your chest (where a good OL should) either pinch him as hard as you can on his underarm or spin.

Mainly just have fun. My HS team plays today after I get off work so I am excited about that. I have a good group of kids. Ultra is a great coach I'm sure he could throw some tips your way.

Thanks DR, some good stuff!!! I will print this out and use it over and over. He tells me that the coaches tell him a bunch of stuff like what you said and I want him to get ahead of the curve. Dont want him getting discouraged if he get knocked on his jiggly a couple of times.
    Lmao at him this morning, he came around the corner and I said "There is a damm good football player". He got this big ol grin on his face. Then he came over and showed me all of his bruises on his arms and I told him that is what it is all about. Make a man outta ya boy!!!! He grinned again.
    Damm, aint football great???? :grin:
    yea, I pm'd the U earlier. He wazza busy tho. He'll get back to me.

cc21 is offline Ring of Fame

"akvikefan89" wrote:
    "TheAnimal93" wrote:
    Booyah!!!!!

Do you play highschool ball? What grade are you in?

akvikefan89 is offline Star Spokesman

"TheAnimal93" wrote:
    "akvikefan89" wrote:
    "TheAnimal93" wrote:
    Booyah!!!!!

To answer your question AK.^^^^^^^. And what is the shock in the fiance? Even animals need love too. :lol:

Anglo....I threw that out there on the chance that DR would. :grin:
    [b]
    I was kidding :wink:

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast