Thread: Please help me!

LuckyVike is offline Team Alumni

Please help me!

I did a system recovery on my computer. When it was rebooting the screen went black and it said I need to re-install some kind of system and it wont boot up until I do. What should I do???????
    The best part of my day is when I get down on my knees, with my head in my hands, and thank GOD for everything he has given me.

Del Rio Guest

Re: Please help me!

Did you clear your hard drive or did you do a system recovery?

If you did a full sytem recovery it may be asking you for the recovery disks that came with your computer. Is it an older machine? And when it does begin to boot does anything come on the screen at all before it prompts you to install something?

"Del Rio" wrote:

If you did a full sytem recovery it may be asking you for the recovery disks that came with your computer. Is it an older machine? And when it does begin to boot does anything come on the screen at all before it prompts you to install something?
    I did a full system rocovery. It's windows XP and I got it like 2 years ago. Before it asks to re-install it shows the big Compaq thing and gives you a couple options in the bottom that you can use by pushing the f- keys. Then it goes black and that message appears.

Problem is I can't find any recovery discs.
    The best part of my day is when I get down on my knees, with my head in my hands, and thank GOD for everything he has given me.

Del Rio Guest

Sounds like it wants the recovery disks, or else it is going to kick you in the nuts.

When you go start->all programs--> accessories--> system tools--> System restore: I thought it gave you 2 options a safe recovery and a YOU BETTER HAVE THE GOD DAMN RECOVERY DISKS recovery LOL.

Anyway.
    When it boots and gives you the option to hit F11 I am guessing can you hit it and start your computer up into safe mode? If you can, then you should be able to go back to system restore and undo the last restore you did.

If not I am not sure, maybe you can look up the model# and type of CPU on the net and download a system recovery disk from the company.

6-KINGS Guest

"Vikes2611" wrote:
    "Del Rio" wrote:

I did a full system rocovery. It's windows XP and I got it like 2 years ago. Before it asks to re-install it shows the big Compaq thing and gives you a couple options in the bottom that you can use by pushing the f- keys. Then it goes black and that message appears.

Problem is I can't find any recovery discs.
    Yeap I gave a Compaq to my oldest daughter and when you see that message you MUST have the recovery disks.
    Otherwise you are dead in the water my friend.
    Compaq are so unstable that once it happens it will happen frequently.

I know of no other way to get one back up without the disks.
    Should be 3 and maybe a floppy too.
    Now 1 will need to be inserted prior to recovery or you will lose all pre-installed programs that came with your computer that you do NOT have a disk for.
    Many times it is the Video package.
    So be careful
    They take forever so be patient.

6-KINGS

Del Rio Guest

Usually they have those integrated motherboards and that is the real problem. My pet peeve with those is the total lack of AGP slots.....anyway this is all I could find for you from their site.

2: Order recovery CDs on the Web
    To order CDs on the Web, perform the following steps. Costs are minimal and only cover the cost of manufacturing and shipping.

NOTE: The steps in this section may not apply to your Country or Region. If not, contact your local HP support center for information about obtaining recovery CDs.

NOTE: A credit card number is required for ordering recovery discs.

HERE's the Part Store Web Address
    http://h20141.www2.hp.com/hpparts/

I looked up an example model it looks like it is going to run you about 12 dollars.

Go to the The HP Parts Store (in English). The HP Parts Store Web site uses a secure connection to protect your privacy.

Select your country from the drop-down menu in the top-right corner of the page.

Enter the model name (for example, 533w, 5002US, or XE735). The model name is located on a sticker that is stuck to the case of the PC.

Click the appropriate model name from the list that appears. If more than one model name appears, refer to the product number or part number on the identification sticker on the back of the PC.

NOTE: The recovery CD set or DVD is matched to specific PC models. It is important to select the correct model name or an error can occur when using them.

Select Recovery Kit from the by keyword dropdown.

A new page appears containing a list of all orderable software. This document only covers recovery kits. If the word recovery is not in the description or you can not select any quantity, then a recovery kit is not available for the computer. This can happen when the operating system on the recovery discs is obsolete and HP's supply of discs has run out.

Write down the part number of the recovery kit for future reference.

Type the quantity of recovery kits you wish to order (1) into the QTY field of the recovery kit part number. If you can not select any quantity, then a recovery kit is not available for the computer.

Click Order Selected Parts and then read and fill out all of the screens that appear.

A red check mark may appear, the part can still be ordered if it is available.

I've been working on this thing forever and I atleast have it running. I ended up doing another system recovery but this time did things a bit different and I just now finally got it running again. It's still acting a little funny so I'm going to have to tamper with it a bit more. Thanks for the help though guys. I still might resort to that website and buy the recovery stuff.