scottishvike is offline Hall of Famer
    Blog Entries

Playstation 3 Launch Postponed Until November

Sony delays playstation 3 launch

The release of the much awaited PlayStation 3 (PS3) games console has been postponed until November, Japanese electronics group Sony has announced.
    Technical hitches related to the console's Blu-ray disc drive had forced the delay, Sony said.

Sony games chief Ken Kutaragi said they were still finalising agreements on disc copy protection technology.

Sony had been aiming for a spring launch for the successor to best-selling PlayStation 2.

The news was announced at a hastily-convened news conference, after reports of a delay appeared in the Nihon Keizai Shimbun, Japan's main financial daily newspaper.

The reports had triggered a 1.8% drop in Sony's shares to 5,470 yen ($46.56; £26.67) on the Tokyo market.

The PS3 is one of three new gaming consoles promising cutting edge processing and graphical power.

Sony has said the console will ship with a 60 GB hard drive and will play games created for both the PlayStation 1 and 2 at higher resolutions than the original. No potential price was given for the console.

It will compete with Microsoft's Xbox 360, which went on sale late last year in the US, and Nintendo's Revolution, which is due later this year.

Worldwide release

So far Sony has dominated the market for home consoles, with its original PlayStation and PlayStation 2 having sold more than 200 million units.

It had originally planned to release its new machine in the spring. But instead it is now talking of a November release in Japan, the US and Europe simultaneously.

In the past, Sony has staggered the launch of new consoles, with Europe coming a belated third.

"We are absolutely delighted that we will be able to bring PS3 to gamers in Europe and Australia before Christmas," said David Reeves, head of Sony Computer Entertainment Europe.

"This is an exciting first for Europe, and is a huge endorsement and vote of confidence in the strength of the European market and its importance globally."

The delay means Sony's machine will not be in the shops in the US and Japan until a year after the Xbox 360, giving Microsoft a valuable lead in building up its market share.

A problem with the launch of the console could be a major setback for the company which is struggling to revive the performance of its consumer electronics division.

In an effort to revive its fortunes the firm has undergone a major restructuring drive involving 10,000 job cuts and 11 factory closures.

Sony's performance in the $25bn games industry is set to be one of the key factors determining the success of the firm's turnaround this year.

PS3 Launch delayed

To be honest this is good news for european gamers who usually have to wait longest for new sony hardware (sometimes up to a year), a release before christmas was as good as we could expect. :grin: I'm sure everyone over the pond isn't so happy though and how much will the thing cost? :roll:

ItalianStallion is offline Jersey Retired

Re: Playstation 3 Launch Postponed Until November

Too bad you still can't go into a store and buy an Xbox 360. Seriously unless the 360 gets some decent games (other than Oblivion) they will lose this war. One thing I hate about sony is all the technology that is only compatitble on their machines, blu ray, atrac3, psp stuff.

I m like a Ja Rule poster, cause I'm off the wall.

Mr. Purple is offline Ring of Fame

360's games are hittin the shelf, I just picked up Ghost Recod Advanced War Figher...its awesome! MarroWind is gonna be crazy, got that reserved!

Theres NOTHING greater then a Florida Gator!
    "I promise everyone this. When Childress is let go in two years I can honestly say this.
    "I am not surprised"."-PurplePackerEater

ChiTownVike is offline Hall of Famer

"ItalianStallion" wrote:
    Too bad you still can't go into a store and buy an Xbox 360. Seriously unless the 360 gets some decent games (other than Oblivion) they will lose this war. One thing I hate about sony is all the technology that is only compatitble on their machines, blu ray, atrac3, psp stuff.
    R U KIDDING ME??

you ever hear of Ghost Recon: Advanced Warfighter??

how about Call of Duty 2?

That is a joke, besides 360 is coming out with an update the day after PS3 comes out that gives you anything the PS3 has and more.

You can call gamestop right now and you can reserve the 360 and you are garunteed to have it by April 1st

besides PS3 is 550 bucks and games are at 75

360 wins

No discussion needed!

Thank you Josdin for the sig

Mr. Purple is offline Ring of Fame

games are 75? daaaaaaayum! Thats crazy!

Theres NOTHING greater then a Florida Gator!
    "I promise everyone this. When Childress is let go in two years I can honestly say this.
    "I am not surprised"."-PurplePackerEater

DPep11 is offline Asst. Coach

Madden is really good for 360, Call of Duty 2 is amazing, and College Hoops 2k6 is unreal.

mr.woo is offline Team Alumni

xbox is the man !!!!!!!!!!!!
    woo out
    just two corn cobs shy of a bushel

Ltrey33 is offline Jersey Retired

"Williamson8211" wrote:
    "ItalianStallion" wrote:
    R U KIDDING ME??

you ever hear of Ghost Recon: Advanced Warfighter??

how about Call of Duty 2?

That is a joke, besides 360 is coming out with an update the day after PS3 comes out that gives you anything the PS3 has and more.

You can call gamestop right now and you can reserve the 360 and you are garunteed to have it by April 1st

besides PS3 is 550 bucks and games are at 75

360 wins

No discussion needed!
    I agree 8211.

I got it opening day with Madden, and Madden is stellar! It's lacking in the options and modes (because it was rushed) but the graphics and gameplay are great....next year's FULL version with owner and franchise mode is going to be spectacular.

Call of Duty 2 is great....a little lacking on the graphics at times, but it's intense and just all around fun.

I just picked up Ghost Recon last week and it's great too.

Oblivion is going to be a big hit, Halo 3 later this or early next year, and I'm sure Knights of the Old Republic 3 will be on the way at some point soon. There will be plenty of quality games on TOP of the great sports games that come out yearly.

gregair13 is offline Jersey Retired

all the way to november now?> i guess it will be part of the xmas rush to buy things.
    We're bringing purple back.

olson_10 is offline Ring of Fame

oh well, i have my xbox 360, and im quite happy with it..especially since about 10 different companies already compared the hardware and software, and realized that neither system can outperform the other
    People who see life as anything more than pure entertainment are missing the point.