Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    i_bleed_purple is offline Jersey Retired
    Blog Entries

Player with Down Syndrome kicked off HS team for..

http://rivals.yahoo.com/highschool/blog/prep_rally/post/Player-with-Down-Syndrome-kicked-off-team-by-rig?urn=highschool-wp4452

For two consecutive years, the most beloved member of the Hobbton (N.C.) High football team was Brett Bowden, a student with Down Syndrome who would suit up and cheer during every varsity game, eventually earning the right to lead the team onto the field and run a touchdown play after every game. He even scored one official touchdown in a game.

In other words, Bowden was everyone's favorite player, even though he rarely ever played. Yet Bowden's place on the varsity sideline was also a weekly rite of passage that meant just as much to the teenager and his family as it did to his teammates.
    Suddenly, all of that was taken away from the teenager in August, when he and his family learned he wouldn't be able to officially be a part of the Hobbton team for his senior year for a very simple yet rigid reason: He's now too old.
    *sigh... what is wrong with people...

BloodyHorns82 is offline Jersey Retired Feed The Frog Champion

Re: Player with Down Syndrome kicked off HS team for..

The school is probably worried about the 1 in 100,000 (1,000,000?) chance that the kid goes out there and somebody gets hurt and sues the school.

We as a society have done this to ourselves.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by "BloodyHorns82" #1104189
    The school is probably worried about the 1 in 100,000 (1,000,000?) chance that the kid goes out there and somebody gets hurt and sues the school.

Maybe, but from what I got from the article, is the kid dresses, cheers from the sideline, leads the team out before the game, and gets a few 'fun plays' after the game. If he's too old to play, then don't send him out during a game, but I think just being there and able to dress was something the kid would remember.

It would be like being 19, being allowed to dress in flight gear and sit in the cockpit of an F-18. Sounds cool, but one day they tell you that you're not allowed anymore because you're too tall to fly.

BloodyHorns82 is offline Jersey Retired Feed The Frog Champion

Maybe I read it wrong but it sounded to me like he could still do almost all the same activities he did before, he just couldn't participate in an actual live game and he couldn't dress in the full uniform.

Whatever the situation, it's complete political BS.

skum is offline Team Alumni
    Blog Entries

"I want to be clear that the student-athlete has not been 'kicked off the team,'" Whitfield said in the statement, which he emailed to Prep Rally directly. "Brett Bowden could still be a part of the team, lead his team on the field, wear his jersey and be with his teammates, including some of the post-game activities he has done in the past.

"The only thing that he cannot do now that he could do before is dress out in full uniform, since a student must be eligible to be dressed for a contest. He is over the age limit based on the eligibility rules, and this State Board of Education policy is one we are not allowed to set aside."

----
    PUT IN JACKSON!

NodakPaul is offline Jersey Retired
    Blog Entries

This is an example of a reporter trying to make more out of a story than there really is.

It is riddled with inaccuracies and sensationalist drama...

He is still officially a part of the team, and they are still going to allow the kid to do everything that he did before - with one exception. He won't be in pads.
    Zeus wrote:
    When are you going to realize that picking out the 20 bad throws this year and ignoring the 300 good ones does not make your point?

=Z=

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by "NodakPaul" #1104194
    This is an example of a reporter trying to make more out of a story than there really is.

He is still officially a part of the team, and they are still going to allow the kid to do everything that he did before - with one exception. He won't be in pads.
    Don't you think that's kinda a big deal to the kid?

anybody can go out to practice and show up on gameday, but I'd imagine the kid might have trouble legitimately making the team, but they let him dress, and be part of the team to help him out, and make HS a time he'll always remember. Don't let him dress, and he knows he's not really part of the team anymore.

NodakPaul is offline Jersey Retired
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by "i_bleed_purple" #1104195
    Quote Originally Posted by "NodakPaul" #1104194

Don't you think that's kinda a big deal to the kid?

anybody can go out to practice and show up on gameday, but I'd imagine the kid might have trouble legitimately making the team, but they let him dress, and be part of the team to help him out, and make HS a time he'll always remember. Don't let him dress, and he knows he's not really part of the team anymore.
    It may be. Or it may not be. His functionality seems to be fairly middle of the road for a person with Down Syndrom based on the interview. Many times explaining the truth to a kid works, and yes I do have experience dealing with people with developmental challenges. I am sure he will be disappointed. I am sure that he would rather suit up completely. But it is just one step on the road in his life, and learning to cope with issues like this when they come up are an important part of his development.

Would I support an exception being made for him - of course. I don't believe that any rule should be completely rigid. But I am also not up in arms at the fact that the athletic association didn't make that exception. From a legal point of view, this sets a precedence that someone, somewhere will exploit.

That being said, I still think the story was purposely sensationalized.
    Zeus wrote:
    When are you going to realize that picking out the 20 bad throws this year and ignoring the 300 good ones does not make your point?

=Z=

Mr Anderson is offline Jersey Retired

Quote Originally Posted by Brick
    Let's not rush to judgement here. What was the kid's YPC?

Johnson14 is offline Hall of Famer

Quote Originally Posted by "BloodyHorns82" #1104189

+1

All these "where there's blame there's a claim" type solicitors have done nothing but help created a blame culture. No one wants to work for their money anymore, everyone wants something for nothing.. its a sad indictment.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast