Ltrey33 is offline Jersey Retired

Pens Stay in Pittsburgh!

[size=16pt]Pens reach agreement to stay in Pittsburgh[/size]

PITTSBURGH -- The Pittsburgh Penguins reached a financing deal for a new arena that will keep the NHL team in the city where it has played since 1967.

Gov. Ed Rendell announced the agreement Tuesday at the Pennsylvania Gaming Congress. He said money from the state's new slot machine parlors would help fund the arena.

KDKA-TV in Pittsburgh first reported the agreement on its Web site.

Rendell said he would fly to Pittsburgh later in the day to meet with Mayor Luke Ravenstahl, Allegheny County Executive Dan Onorato, the team owners and NHL commissioner Gary Bettman.

"We will announce that all three governmental entities have reached an agreement for a deal that will keep the Penguins in Pittsburgh" for 30 years, he said.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I'm glad they got a deal worked out. I'm not a huge hockey fan, but I follow the Pens through the sports pages in this area, and I would REALLY hate to see them let a good, young team like the Penguins get away. Plus, if they move, I may never get a chance to see Sidney Crosby play in person.

If anything, this should give Vikings fans hope! It looked all but certain that the Pens would move, and they were fighting for a very long time to get a new stadium. Eventually they got one, but it took a lot of fighting (and a dedicated owner).

BadlandsVikings is offline Jersey Retired

Re: Pens Stay in Pittsburgh!

They've also been fighting bankruptcy for several years, so this should make their fans happy

nephilimstorm is offline Star Spokesman

Re: Pens Stay in Pittsburgh!

Yeah, the way the Vikes are going they should be ready to be packing up soon...get the stadium darnit!
    >