Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    COJOMAY is offline Jersey Retired

Peaceful Religion "Strikes" Again

[size=12pt]Rough justice: 80 lashes for 'immoral' Iranian who abused alcohol and had sex[/size]
    http://www.dailymail.co.uk/pages/live/articles/news/news.html?in_article_id=477088&in_page_id=1770
    His face covered by a balaclava, an official brandishing a cane repeatedly lashes the back of a man found guilty of breaking Iran's morality laws.

Two police officers hold the legs of 25-year-old Saeed Ghanbari and another his arms to ensure there is no escape from the punishment of 80 lashes handed down by a religious court.
    [img width=450 height=334]http://img.dailymail.co.uk/i/pix/2007/08_02/1PubicFlogPST_468x348.jpg[/img]
    Both men then lashed Ghanbari, taking the cane back behind their heads to guarantee maximum impact, each stroke leaving a distinctive red mark and bruising on his back.

Several wounds began to bleed.

It was unclear exactly what his offence had been as the country's strict morality laws cover many areas, but it was reported he had been convicted of abusing alcohol and having sex outside of marriage.

Amnesty International, which said it is "greatly concerned by continuing human rights abuses in Iran", has highlighted figures revealing 117 people were executed in 2006 with thousands facing floggings.

They included a woman, who had been forced into prostitution as an eight-year-old, receiving 99 lashes because of "acts contrary to chasity."

Earlier this year, a man was flogged after a copy of the Bible was found in his car.
    Kentucky Vikes Fan

When you require nothing, you get nothing; when you expect nothing, you will find nothing; when you embrace nothing, all you will have is nothing.

C Mac D is online now Posting to P'own

Re: Peaceful Religion "Strikes" Again

Wow, what the hell is wrong with the world. I think our government is messed up sometimes, but this makes me feel fortunate. This is just too blatantly wrong.
    Disclaimer: I'm an idiot.

ColoradoVike is offline Pro-Bowler

I don't think you can credit the beating to religion. A holy book may provide the moral resource, but the state exercised the power. This sort of shite is de rigueur in theocracies and other totalitarian states. At the very least, when it happens in a civilized democracy such as ours, we have the courtesy to do it out of public view.

BadlandsVikings is offline Jersey Retired

Some people are just idiots.

marcosMN is offline Star Spokesman

"ColoradoVike" wrote:
    I don't think you can credit the beating to religion. A holy book may provide the moral resource, but the state exercised the power. This sort of shite is de rigueur in theocracies and other totalitarian states. At the very least, when it happens in a civilized democracy such as ours, we have the courtesy to do it out of public view.
    I like the way you think, man.
    -Sno

Zeus is offline Jersey Retired

"COJOMAY" wrote:
    His face covered by a balaclava, an official brandishing a cane repeatedly lashes the back of a man found guilty of breaking Iran's morality laws.
    Do I need to dig up a bunch of incidents involving Christians who use their beliefs to persecute others for balance, Cojo?

Bad people are bad people, regardless of religion.

=Z=

Thanks to Josdin for the awesome sig!

marcosMN is offline Star Spokesman

"Zeus" wrote:
    "COJOMAY" wrote:
    Do I need to dig up a bunch of incidents involving Christians who use their beliefs to persecute others for balance, Cojo?

=Z=
    That's right man.

More wars have been started "in the name of God" than for any other reason.
    -Sno

COJOMAY is offline Jersey Retired

The point I was making has nothing to do with other religions. I know that more wars in history were started by Christians than any other things. And the inquision was terrible.
    What I'm saying here is that so many people are trying to convenience us that their religion is such a "peaceful" religion when it seems just the opposite to anyone who watches the news.
    Kentucky Vikes Fan

When you require nothing, you get nothing; when you expect nothing, you will find nothing; when you embrace nothing, all you will have is nothing.

C Mac D is online now Posting to P'own

"SnoBumMN" wrote:
    "Zeus" wrote:
    "COJOMAY" wrote:

=Z=
    That's right man.

More wars have been started "in the name of God" than for any other reason.
    "I fear religions start wars" - Paul McCartney
    Disclaimer: I'm an idiot.

ColoradoVike is offline Pro-Bowler

"COJOMAY" wrote:
    The point I was making has nothing to do with other religions. I know that more wars in history were started by Christians than any other things. And the inquision was terrible.
    What I'm saying here is that so many people are trying to convenience us that their religion is such a "peaceful" religion when it seems just the opposite to anyone who watches the news.
    I'm afraid I still don't see how this is a different point. Your thread title suggests that religion causes violence. By implication, it could also cause peace. Many of us have written to disagree with that way of thinking. I don't see how this clarification changes the crux of the debate. But maybe I'm missing something.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast