Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    gregair13 is offline Jersey Retired

Re: Particle Accelorator to be turned on, Sept. 10th

Is this why the world is going to end in 2012?
    We're bringing purple back.

ItalianStallion is offline Jersey Retired

A lot of the physics goes over my head, but I've taken a couple of intro physics course, and chemistry as well.
    Definitely seems interesting though, but as they said, it will likely take years to sort out the findings into workable theories (should the data actually support any).

I m like a Ja Rule poster, cause I'm off the wall.

C Mac D is offline Posting to P'own

"gregair13" wrote:
    Is this why the world is going to end in 2012?
    No, that's the Illuminati.

Disclaimer: I'm an idiot.

tastywaves is offline Ring of Fame

"NodakPaul" wrote:
    "C" wrote:
    Well, some physicists are saying that by turning on this machine, it could create a black hole and devour the Earth...

However, they say the chances of that happening are like, "Winning the lottery three weeks in a row."

I find this stuff fascinating.
    But still a little worrysome there, don't you think... (Fueling the conspiracy fire)

Actually, I am pretty sure that would not be possible.
    I don't know how forcing hydrogen particles to collide at light speed would ever for a black hole.
    While there are a lot of things that have to happen for a black hole to form, the most important thing that we would need is mass.
    The least massive black hole ever found is still 3.8 times more massive as the sun, and about 15 miles in diameter.
    Even if one could be created by forcing particles to collide at light speed (which it couldn't), we simply don't have enough mass in our solar system to create one.

I think the biggest threat to the Earth would be uncontrolled fusion that somehow manages to form a change reaction.
    But even that would be pretty gol 'darnit remote. Accelerator based light-ion fusion is easy (relative to any other kind of fusion) and has been done for years, so we have a pretty good understanding of how to control it.

EDIT:
    I find this stuff fascinating too...
    I thought a number of scientists are hoping that they can create mini-black holes that last for an extremely short amount of time.
    By being able to create these mini-black holes they are hoping to backup a lot of theories (such as string theory --- that is that particles such as photons and electrons are actually tiny vibrating strings) and help reconcile how quantum mechanics and gravity can be reconciled.
    The current physics models do not account for gravity.

Not to worry about these mini-black holes gobbling up the earth though if Hawking is correct.
    I'm pretty sure I read that this dude believes any black hole that would be created by an accelerator would be extremely short lived.
    Something about high temperature vs.
    low temperature black holes.
    The large ones are low
    temperature and they have staying power and are able to gobble up large amounts of mass before they blow whereas the high temperature ones are very short lived without having the opportunity of gobbling up any appreciable mass.
    The burning out point of the tiny black hole is what they are hoping to measure, it will supposedly put out a measurable amount of energy.
    No snowballing type effect is expected, if any are even created.

Also, the amount of energy being created in the LHC will be on the order (or less) than cosmic rays that have been measured hitting the earth today.
    That is, we shouldn't be creating a scenario that is any different than what is happening already.

If they are not able to create mini-black holes, expect a larger collider to be built eventually.

"tastywaves" wrote:
    "NodakPaul" wrote:
    "C" wrote:
    Well, some physicists are saying that by turning on this machine, it could create a black hole and devour the Earth...

However, they say the chances of that happening are like, "Winning the lottery three weeks in a row."

But still a little worrysome there, don't you think... (Fueling the conspiracy fire)

I don't know how forcing hydrogen particles to collide at light speed would ever for a black hole.
    While there are a lot of things that have to happen for a black hole to form, the most important thing that we would need is mass.
    The least massive black hole ever found is still 3.8 times more massive as the sun, and about 15 miles in diameter.
    Even if one could be created by forcing particles to collide at light speed (which it couldn't), we simply don't have enough mass in our solar system to create one.

I think the biggest threat to the Earth would be uncontrolled fusion that somehow manages to form a change reaction.
    But even that would be pretty gol 'darnit remote. Accelerator based light-ion fusion is easy (relative to any other kind of fusion) and has been done for years, so we have a pretty good understanding of how to control it.

EDIT:
    I thought a number of scientists are hoping that they can create mini-black holes that last for an extremely short amount of time.
    By being able to create these mini-black holes they are hoping to backup a lot of theories (such as string theory --- that is that particles such as photons and electrons are actually tiny vibrating strings) and help reconcile how quantum mechanics and gravity can be reconciled.
    The current physics models do not account for gravity.

Not to worry about these mini-black holes gobbling up the earth though if Hawking is correct.
    I'm pretty sure I read that this dude believes any black hole that would be created by an accelerator would be extremely short lived.
    Something about high temperature vs.
    low temperature black holes.
    The large ones are low
    temperature and they have staying power and are able to gobble up large amounts of mass before they blow whereas the high temperature ones are very short lived without having the opportunity of gobbling up any appreciable mass.
    The burning out point of the tiny black hole is what they are hoping to measure, it will supposedly put out a measurable amount of energy.
    No snowballing type effect is expected, if any are even created.

Also, the amount of energy being created in the LHC will be on the order (or less) than cosmic rays that have been measured hitting the earth today.
    That is, we shouldn't be creating a scenario that is any different than what is happening already.

If they are not able to create mini-black holes, expect a larger collider to be built eventually.
    String Theory says that those particles are actually made of many little vibrating strings.

I think I read once that if the planet earth was one of these particles, one of the strings would be the size of a tree in central park.

Purple Floyd is offline Jersey Retired
    Blog Entries

"NodakPaul" wrote:
    "C" wrote:

EDIT:
    I think someone is already working on that one.

[img width=450 height=600]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v695/denjahn/fat-girls-and-fries.jpg[/img]

tastywaves is offline Ring of Fame

"UffDaVikes" wrote:
    "NodakPaul" wrote:
    "C" wrote:

EDIT:
    I think someone is already working on that one.

[img width=450 height=600]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v695/denjahn/fat-girls-and-fries.jpg[/img]
    That should pretty much end this thread.

Zeus is offline Jersey Retired

"C" wrote:
    Start counting down... should be interesting to see what happens...
    You probably slept through it, like the rest of us.

http://ap.google.com/article/ALeqM5g5nGPtmoUVIJDgehVJ_snD6vDA6gD933PMQG0

[size=12pt]Largest particle collider conducts successful test[/size]
    By ALEXANDER G. HIGGINS – 2 hours ago

GENEVA (AP) — The world's largest particle collider successfully completed its first major test by firing a beam of protons all the way around a 17-mile (27-kilometer) tunnel Wednesday in what scientists hope is the next great step to understanding the makeup of the universe.

After a series of trial runs, two white dots flashed on a computer screen at 10:36 a.m. (0836 GMT) indicating that the protons had traveled the full length of the US$3.8 billion Large Hadron Collider.

"There it is," project leader Lyn Evans said when the beam completed its lap.

Champagne corks popped in labs as far away as Chicago, where contributing scientists watched the proceedings by satellite. Physicists around the world now have much greater power than ever before to smash the components of atoms together in attempts to see how they are made.

"Well done everybody," said Robert Aymar, director-general of the European Organization for Nuclear Research, to cheers from the assembled scientists in the collider's control room at the Swiss-French border.
    =Z=

Thanks to Josdin for the awesome sig!

Yeah, I figured when I woke up that I hadn't been swallowed by a black hole.

It will take some time to see the results from this test, but I can't wait to see what they find out.

gregair13 is offline Jersey Retired

Well I am still alive, so good news
    We're bringing purple back.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast