Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast
    C Mac D is offline Posting to P'own

Particle Accelorator to be turned on, Sept. 10th

Start counting down... should be interesting to see what happens...

[size=12pt]CERN to start up super-accelerator on September 10[/size]

Aug 7, 2008

GENEVA (AFP) — European particle physics laboratory CERN said Thursday it will start up its massive particle accelerator on September 10 hoping that it could throw light on the origins of the universe.

The so-called Large Hadron Collider (LHC) is the greatest experiment in the history of particle physics.

Scientists are banking that it will confirm the existence of a sub-atomic component -- the Higgs Boson, known as "the God Particle" -- that would fill in the last missing piece of the so-called Standard Model of particle physics.

A gamble costing six billion Swiss francs (almost six billion dollars, 3.9 billion euros) that has harnessed the labours of more than 2,000 physicists from nearly three dozen countries, the LHC is the biggest, most powerful high-energy particle accelerator ever built.

Beams of hydrogen protons will whizz around at near-light speed in opposite directions until, bent by powerful superconducting magnets, they will smash together in four bus-sized detector chambers, where they will be annihilated at temperatures hotter than the sun.
    [youtube=425,350]T1vKisefsuI[/youtube]

[youtube=425,350]cJFllPVIcpg[/youtube]

Here's some more links about this topic:

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/earth/main.jhtml?view=DETAILS&grid=&xml=/earth/2008/08/21/scilhc121.xml

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/earth/main.jhtml?xml=/earth/2008/04/07/scihiggs107.xml

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/earth/main.jhtml?xml=/earth/2008/03/25/scibigbang125.xml

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/earth/main.jhtml?xml=/earth/2008/02/06/scitime106.xml

Disclaimer: I'm an idiot.

Prophet is offline Jersey Retired

Re: Particle Accelorator to be turned on, Sept. 10th

Few things are more fun than particle physics.
    Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please. Mark Twain

Well, some physicists are saying that by turning on this machine, it could create a black hole and devour the Earth...

However, they say the chances of that happening are like, "Winning the lottery three weeks in a row."

I find this stuff fascinating.

Prophet is offline Jersey Retired

"C" wrote:
    Well, some physicists are saying that by turning on this machine, it could create a black hole and devour the Earth...
    At least they aren't turning it on until after the opener.
    Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please. Mark Twain

Zeus is offline Jersey Retired

"C" wrote:

However, they say the chances of that happening are like, "Winning the lottery three weeks in a row."

Only because it adds fuel to your conspiracy theorizing!

=Z=

Thanks to Josdin for the awesome sig!

"Prophet" wrote:
    "C" wrote:
    At least they aren't turning it on until after the opener.
    If we lose to the Packers yet again, I'll be fine with a black hole opening up.

NodakPaul is offline Jersey Retired
    Blog Entries

"C" wrote:

But still a little worrysome there, don't you think... (Fueling the conspiracy fire)

Actually, I am pretty sure that would not be possible.
    I don't know how forcing hydrogen particles to collide at light speed would ever for a black hole.
    While there are a lot of things that have to happen for a black hole to form, the most important thing that we would need is mass.
    The least massive black hole ever found is still 3.8 times more massive as the sun, and about 15 miles in diameter.
    Even if one could be created by forcing particles to collide at light speed (which it couldn't), we simply don't have enough mass in our solar system to create one.

I think the biggest threat to the Earth would be uncontrolled fusion that somehow manages to form a change reaction.
    But even that would be pretty gol 'darnit remote. Accelerator based light-ion fusion is easy (relative to any other kind of fusion) and has been done for years, so we have a pretty good understanding of how to control it.

EDIT:
    I find this stuff fascinating too...
    Zeus wrote:
    When are you going to realize that picking out the 20 bad throws this year and ignoring the 300 good ones does not make your point?

=Z=

"NodakPaul" wrote:
    "C" wrote:

But still a little worrysome there, don't you think...

I don't know how forcing hydrogen particles to collide at light speed would ever for a black hole.
    While there are a lot of things that have to happen for a black hole to form, the most important thing that we would need is mass.
    The least massive black hole ever found is still 3.8 times more massive as the sun, and about 15 miles in diameter.
    Even if one could be created by forcing particles to collide at light speed (which it couldn't), we simply don't have enough mass in our solar system to create one.

I think the biggest threat to the Earth would be uncontrolled fusion that somehow manages to form a change reaction.
    But even that would be pretty gol 'darnit remote. Accelerator based light-ion fusion is easy (relative to any other kind of fusion) and has been done for years, so we have a pretty good understanding of how to control it.

EDIT:
    Yeah... it's cool stuff.

The uncontrolled chain reaction stuff you're refering to, I believe they are calling these particles "Stranglets" and will have enormous gravitational pulls, capable of destroying a city blocks... Possibly more.

Still, absolutely crazy stuff here. They're willing to gamble the entire earth itself for this experiment... It's pretty unprecedented. The craziest thing is, no one really knows what's going to happen. This is a frontier in every sense of the word.

This is the largest scientific experiment since the Manhattan Project.

jessejames09 is offline Ring of Fame

"NodakPaul" wrote:
    "C" wrote:

But still a little worrysome there, don't you think... (Fueling the conspiracy fire)

EDIT:
    I think the problem is we've never broken down anything that small yet, we don't even know of a smaller particle. All matter is energy so essentially they want to find what that energy is. If you turn enough matter into energy maybe it would form a black hole, who knows. Maybe raw energy is a black hole, maybe one particle will be enough to suck the world into Switzerland. ;D

So yeah, definitely a conspiracy.

NodakPaul is offline Jersey Retired
    Blog Entries

"C" wrote:
    "NodakPaul" wrote:
    "C" wrote:

But still a little worrysome there, don't you think...

EDIT:
    Yeah... it's cool stuff.

The uncontrolled chain reaction stuff you're refering to, I believe they are calling these particles "Stranglets" and will have enormous gravitational pulls, capable of destroying a city blocks... Possibly more.

Still, absolutely crazy stuff here. They're willing to gamble the entire earth itself for this experiment... It's pretty unprecedented. The craziest thing is, no one really knows what's going to happen. This is a frontier in every sense of the word.

This is the largest scientific experiment since the Manhattan Project.
    AH, now you are getting into strange matter.
    Another fun topic.
    And yes, stranglets are (in theory) produced by ion acceleration collisions.
    There are a LOT of hole in the strange matter theories and from the circles I discuss physics with (yes, I am a nerd) it is generally regarded as one of the more radical theories.
    I can't remember off the top of my head, but I believe ther is a problem with the theory and neutron stars.
    Maybe when I have more time later today I can do some research...
    Zeus wrote:
    When are you going to realize that picking out the 20 bad throws this year and ignoring the 300 good ones does not make your point?

=Z=

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast