Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    singersp is offline PPO Newshound

P.P.O. Quote Appears In Love Boat Article

Vikings' party boat sinks into a cesspool

UNION-TRIBUNE (San Diego)
    October 16, 2005

What shall we call it, "Watergate"? No, we've already had one of those. "Sailgate"? "Lustgate"? "Loveboatgate"? "Purplegate"?

I'll tell you what we should call it: lewd and lascivious conduct, which it was, and the 17 members of the Minnesota Vikings who boarded a couple of Lake Minnetonka cruise boats last Thursday bent on something other than sight-seeing should be disciplined as vigorously as the state of Minnesota and the NFL allows.

Minnesota coach Mike Tice, meantime, should be dismissed for failure to exercise proper supervisory controls. Tice, it should be remembered, is the individual who before this season's beginning admitted scalping Super Bowl tickets. Some role model. On his squad before he was suspended for violations of the NFL's substance abuse policies was running back Onterrio Smith, he of the so-called Original Whizzinator, a device meant to disguise his drug usage.

The Vikings have become the cesspool of the NFL. They disgust even those who normally champion them. On purplepride.org, a Web site that chronicles the team's affairs, I found these words:"The boat trip was the microcosm of the organization. This is the final proof, the final push over the Mike Tice edge. Being a player's coach is not working, and just after he asked for a gut check from the team, they pull this stunt. We need someone to install discipline in this team."

After what the Vikings had been doing on their Minnetonka excursion became a matter of public notice, I thought of Bud Grant. The former Viking coach is one of the most sterling individuals I have encountered in going here and there in this game for more than four decades. Grant's athletes lined up for the national anthem with military-like precision. Grant has to be appalled by this tawdry business.

Well, now, this is embarrassing. The shame of it, the pure, humbling shame. Merely the thought of it is painful. Yeah, I'm a guy who picked the Vikings to win the Super Bowl. Had 'em beating the Chargers in XL in Detroit next Feb. 5.

Go ahead, snicker, but Tice, it seemed here, had quite a squad. His quarterback was Daunte Culpepper, a 260-pound colossus who in 2004 had thrown for 39 touchdowns with just 11 interceptions and cobbled together a passing rating of 110.9, the highest in the NFC. The team had lost Randy Moss to the Raiders, but I viewed Moss – for all his gifts – as a negative influence.

The Vikings further had acted aggressively in free agency. Into their defense, they had inserted at least five new starters, including four former Pro Bowlers in free safety Darren Sharper, linebacker Sam Cowart, defensive tackle Pat Williams and cornerback Fred Smoot to join cornerback Antoine Winfield, strong safety Corey Chavous and defensive tackle Kevin Williams. Seven of the team's defenders possessed all-star histories.

Strong moves, apparently, only perhaps the Vikings should have chosen more carefully. Stephen Doyle, a lawyer for Al and Alma's Supper Club and Charter Cruises, has identified Smoot as the person who paid for one of the cruises.

On the boats, Vikings players were consorting with women supplied by a call-girl service that caters to professional athletes, according to what law enforcement officials told the St. Paul Pioneer Press. Becoming aware of what was going on, the operators of the boats soon enough returned them to where they had been tied up in Mound, Minn.

Zygi Wilf, the owner of the Vikings, subsequently issued an apology to Minnesota Gov. Tim Pawlenty and announced he plans to institute a code of conduct for his players.

There already is one. It is contained in the Collective Bargaining Agreement, the document that details the conditions under which NFL players are employed. Under Article VIII, Commissioner Paul Tagliabue is empowered to act against players thought to have engaged in conduct "detrimental to the integrity, or public confidence in, the game of professional football."

How the commissioner is going to act concerning "Sailgate," or whatever one wishes to term it, is a touchy matter. I can't recall the NFL enacting any discipline relating to fornication.

It's time.

"If at first you don't succeed, parachuting is not for you"

Lotza is offline Team Alumni

Re: P.P.O. Quote Appears In Love Boat Article

WOah thats really cool! thats frickin awesome! were taking over the world!

Go vikes!!

SamDawg84 Guest

where is our part? is it the 1st part?

"SamDawg84" wrote:
    where is our part? is it the 1st part?
    On purplepride.org, a Web site that chronicles the team's affairs, I found these words:"The boat trip was the microcosm of the organization. This is the final proof, the final push over the Mike Tice edge. Being a player's coach is not working, and just after he asked for a gut check from the team, they pull this stunt. We need someone to install discipline in this team."

I think it sux. In other words anything we discuss or post on this forum could eventually be published in print as if this is the concensus of the entire P.P.O. organization & all Vikings fans.

ultravikingfan is offline Administrator

I am doing a search using some of the keywords and I have not found that yet.

"ultravikingfan" wrote:
    I tried & had no luck either. I was searching for the word microcosm. Perhaps it was mis-spelled in the post.

ultravikingfan is offline Administrator

"singersp" wrote:
    "ultravikingfan" wrote:
    I tried & had no luck either. I was searching for the word microcosm. Perhaps it was mis-spelled in the post.
    I chose words such as proof and gut. Nothing yet.

This sounds like a Del Rio quote.

shockzilla is offline PPO Ambassador
    Blog Entries

Just look at the front page of the website:

Fear & Loathing
    Posted by webmaster on Wednesday, October 12, 2005 (23:13:30) (294 reads)

Just when you think the seas could get no rockier for the Vikings, a boat cruise on Lake Minnetonka became a microcosm of the organization. Players ignoring conduct, out of position asking crew members instead of their hookers for favors, selfish behaviour and then denial with a sprinkle of defiance.

Of course, I want to say I withhold judgment. These are only allegations but damning nonetheless. As with the McKinnie/Johnson incident I have chosen to believe in the best for the team.

However, this is the final proof, the final push over the Fire Tice edge. Being a player's coach is not working and just after he asks for a gut check from the team they pull this stunt. We need someone to instill discipline in this team. To walk out in the press conference and give us this Sad Dad routine just brings steam blowing out my ears and expletives from my mouth.

Fans: remember this. There are a great many players on that team who do give a damn. Those that suit up every game and play their hearts out. They play for us, the love of the game, and the respect of the uniform. Continue to cheer for the team, let not a few spoiled rotten apples upset the cart. We owe our best fanship for those that care, and with laser precision direct our anger at this out of control team at specific individuals. If we are precise enough, maybe our anger will cut out the bad stuff.

On Sunday, suit up at home. Grill. Grab a beer, meet up with the buddies. I won't stuff you full of "we lost to the top teams in the NFL currently but will adjust and beat those we are supposed to beat on the way to the division title" tripe. Its true, but everyone deserves a chance to be upset.

A victory in Chicago will go miles to showing us how much they care as a team. If they do that; don't roll into Chicago and lay a donut, it will salve the wound in every fan's heart. Vikings fans are forgiving, we've learned that trick. But we don't need to learn to put up with slack-jaws in the organization, whoever they may be. Go get 'em, Daunte. Bring back the pride!!
    PPO Ambassador, Defender of the Purple Faith and Guardian of the Gates of Valhalla

It's just like the media to ignore this part of the post;

Of course, I want to say I withhold judgment. These are only allegations but damning nonetheless. As with the McKinnie/Johnson incident I have chosen to believe in the best for the team.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast