Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    NordicNed is offline Jersey Retired

Our PPO Service Mens Family....And those we are proud of...

Also let's not forget about the many women who serve our country proudly also.....

As I posted in the Patriot Guard thread, on person I'm very proud of is my Father and his service in the United States Army, during the Korean Conflict...

My grandfather was a Merchant Marine his whole life and was involved with many a Convoys aboard supply (cargo) ships during WWII.

My brother Steven, is also a Veteran and served in the Navy during the Vietnam Era, at one point seeing duty in the Bay of Bengal during the war.

Myself, I served dual services. I served proudly in the US Army for 4 years and 2 years in the CT Army National Guard. After being out of the Military for 3 years, I then joined the US Marine Corps. and served another 2 years there, but was medicaly discharged after shattering my left elbow during military excersises....

I was the lucky of the three, I never did see any Conflict or War time while in either the Army or Marines. But I still served proudly and would have been done what was asked of me, no matter what the task was.

Here is my Fathers Regimental Crest. He served in the Armys 3rd Infantry Divison - 15th Regiment - F Company....

the 15th Regimental Crest is pictured below....The CAN DO Regiment....And Yes they Did....

Lets here about those who have served or family members who have....Pictures are always nice to see also.....

VikingNed

I LOVE THE SMELL OF VICTORY IN THE MORNING AIR.

Re: Our PPO Service Mens Family....And those we are proud of...

Below is one of the many medals my father recieved while serving in Korea. Actually this is 3 medals in one......

One: The purple heart itself, for being wounded in action.

Two and Three: Are the oak leaf clusters you see mounted on the Purple Heart Ribbon.....Each oak leaf cluster signifies another time being wounded in action.

My father was actually wounded 3 different times during battle in Korea..

This is the Insignia for the 3rd Infantry Division, United States Army.

ultravikingfan is offline Administrator

Re: Our PPO Service Mens Family....And those we are proud o

Every generation in my family has served, the last being me.

My dad was in Korea during Vietnam. I never really knew my grandfather or heard about his service.

I served in the 101st Airborne.

singersp is offline PPO Newshound

Re: Our PPO Service Mens Family....And those we are proud o

My dads 4 brothers all served in the military. Two of my cousins served in operation desert storm, one being injured while sweeping for mines.

My dads uncle served in both WWII & the Korean war. He was one of the POW's that was forced to go on the Korean Death March, where many soldiers & civilians died along the way.

At one point the Koreans took one of the officers in charge of the troops, stood him up next to a ditch & executed him. As he fell backwards into the ditch, my great uncle ran up, caught him & laid him gently into the ditch.

The Koreans could have easily shot him for what he did, but they didn't out of the respect he had shown for his fallen commrade.

My stepfathers dad also served in WWII, but never talked about it. He was on one of the ships that were bombed in Pearl Harbor on Dec. 7th, 1941, the day the Japanese bombed it.

"If at first you don't succeed, parachuting is not for you"

sleepagent is offline Hall of Famer

Let's see . . .

My Paternal Grandfather served in the Army In WWII. He was stationed in Germany, but didn't see combat. He died in 1998 at 91 years old.

My Maternal Grandfather served in the Navy in WWII. He was a member of UDT Team 4 (known as S.E.A.L.'s in today's terms). Earned a Silver Star, saw combat, and served in the Pacific Theater (Japan). He died in 2003 at 83 years old.

His brother, my uncle, was shot down over Germany while serving in the Army Air Corps. He is buried with all those that died on the plane in a mass grave. DNA testing didn't exist back then.

Despite my maternal Grandfather's wishes, I joined the U.S. Marines and served my time assigned to the White House, providing security for the U.S. Presidential Helicopter (HMX-1), better known as Marine One, for my tour. I was recalled back to active duty in support of Desert Storm, but spent my days in California.

"No Greater Friend . . . No Worse Enemy. U.S. MARINES"
    "FIND YOUR PASSION AND MAKE IT HAPPEN!"
    "SUCCESS LOOKS EASY TO THOSE THAT WEREN'T THERE WHEN IT WAS BEING ACHIEVED!"

DarrinNelsonguy is offline Team Alumni

My grandfather also received a Purple Heart for serving in the Pacific Theater of WWII.
    "Hard work beats talent, when talent doesn t work hard."

"DarrinNelsonguy" wrote:
    My grandfather also received a Purple Heart for serving in the Pacific Theater of WWII.
    My dads 3 purple hearts where for...

one: being shot thru the forearm

2: being stabed with a bayonet thru one of of his hands

3: A tank he was marching next to hit a land mine and he got shrapnel in his side and back......

Not sure of in that order or not, but they all happened during different occasions.....

DarrinNelsonguy is offline Team Alumni

My grandfather was an explosives guy of some sort I've been told and he got hit in the leg/knee area with shrapnel of some sort. He didn't like to talk about his duty in WWII too much and I wish he would have because now that I am older I have a lot of questions I would have liked to ask him.
    "Hard work beats talent, when talent doesn t work hard."

"DarrinNelsonguy" wrote:
    My grandfather was an explosives guy of some sort I've been told and he got hit in the leg/knee area with shrapnel of some sort. He didn't like to talk about his duty in WWII too much and I wish he would have because now that I am older I have a lot of questions I would have liked to ask him.

he more than likely did see alot of death and from what I've learned, those are the guys that DON"T do alot of talking about their war experiences.

My dad only sat me down 2 or 3 time in the past and told me of his duty's during the korean War. Many a friends lost and some life long memories of some terrible situations he had to battle thru.

I truly believe, it's the guys that brag about this and that and what they did that are the ones that suger coat their experiences. More likely than not, they where in the rear, pealing potatos and lugging supplies around to be shipped up to the front.

Guys like your granddad and my pops, who where in the thick of things have only sad and heartbreaking memories, and who really wants to talk about or even remember that kind of stuff.....

But I'm proud of my dads service and I know he gave his best at all times for our Country and his fellow soldiers.....

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast