Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    tarkenton10 is offline Star Spokesman

Re: Our hard-earned money at work...

The long and short of this is that I haven't seen Cajun's righteous attitude infect this thread. And I have to say that I am very pro business and very conservative but DeLay should be impeached. You can say what you want Turboe about business meetings BUT DELAY IS A REPRESENTATIVE OF HIS CONSTITUANTS. His job is to the best for his constituants not spend his time in office trying to get back in office.

He is totally going against what the founding fathers intended. when this country was founded they felt it was a priviledge to help your country and you serve for four or six years and then go back to PRIVATE LIFE. NOT BLEED THIS COUNTRY DRY WITH THEIR SELF IMPOSED RETIREMENT PACKAGE. These politicans on BOTH sides have perverted the true intent of congress!!!!!!

They have set up a troth and have made sure they feed off this country until they are dead. They have become leeches instead of beacons of hope. There are some who are trying to do the right thing but by and large the people elected as a whole are trying to what is right for them and their families and to hell with this country!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

There s only two things stopping you - fear and common sense!! The Truth you CAN"T HANDLE THE TRUTH!!!!!!!!

shockzilla is offline PPO Ambassador
    Blog Entries

Boy, I guess I stirred up a hornet's nest, didn't I? The whole point of me posting that link was to just point out the ridiculous amount of money that changes hands in our government, and how having a lot of it can allow you to exert your influence over anyone.

Unfortunately, I don't think there is any such thing as an uncrooked politician these days. Day after day after day, we hear stories of how politicians vote one way or the other on certain bills, just so they can get a slice of the pie for their own betterment. I am sick and tired of hearing about how the state of Hawaii wants to build a 70-gazzillion-dollar bridge over a river just to save a few animals, or how some congressman in Minnesota wants 40 million dollars to study why sheep sleep standing up, or the politician in Maine wants 20 billion dollars to build a 2-lane highway from Bangor to Portland just because there isn't one now. Obviously those examples are not true but you get the point - spending ridiculous amounts of money on projects that are about as worthless as T!Ts on a boar...

The whole idea of so-called "pork-barrel" spending just turns my stomach. To think that any person in government would rather spend millions on some pet project, just so he can get voted back in office and live the good life, rather than pay a teacher a decent salary, or feed the poor and homeless in this country is beyond me. How many politicians out there can say that EVERY TIME they go grocery shopping (if they even do it themselves), they buy a $10 bag of canned/non-perishable goods for their local homeless, poor or food shelf? I do. EVERY TIME. I know what it's like to need help from the government or some other non-profit entity. I've used unemployment, the food shelf, and I am embarrased to say that I had to, but I thank God every day that I have a roof over my head, food on the table, a decent job, a vehicle to get me there, and relatively good health.

No thanks to those money-hungry power-brokers in Congress...

Sorry, *rant off* now...
    PPO Ambassador, Defender of the Purple Faith and Guardian of the Gates of Valhalla

mnjamie is offline Ring of Fame

"Staff Online:

No staff members are online!" ... :shock:

But seriously, I think everyone is doing well in this thread at keeping it calm, even though it's normally a "taboo" topic.

Turboe is offline Hall of Famer

I hear ya, and that is why I have tried not to attack anyone on here I just am saying I grow tired of the one sided accusations by the media that only one side of the aisle is guilty of this crap.

I sound like a broken record, and I hate to admit that I have become a defeatist and dont think that you and I can vote these guys out of office. But I have, in the last few years I have given up that this corruption can be culled out at the ballot box. I really think that term limits are the only way that we will keep the pool of people fresh and turning over before they have the chance to mutate into the money-grubbing entitiys that lifetime feeding at the government trough create.

Anyway I am just going to let this thread die its natural death I think. I appreciate that it didnt escalate into the normal screaming/namecalling that some do.

BBQ Platypus is offline Team Alumni

I can think of four possible solutions to this:

1) Term limits. Not gonna happen, although it really should.
    2) Make the $2000 limit apply to 527's as well. Hmm...this would be good for the partisan loophole 527's, but would do some serious damage to actual political information organizations.
    3) Make excessive fraternization with campaign contributors illegal, and get a board to supervise it.
    4) Publicly-funded campaigns. I normally hate "nationalized" (read: socialized) ideas like this, and such funding HAS been ruled unconstitutional, but hear me out. Anyone seeking campaign funding must send a petition of a set number of signatures (or a proof of party membership of at least 1 million) to an independent, nonpartisan board, who then gives an amount of money determined by limits and guidelines derived from the number of party members and the candidate's requested amount. Presidential campaign funding will be limited to no more than $50 million for a major party candidate (read: Democrats and Republicans). That's chump change compared to the ridiculous sums in the last two elections, and could easily be funded by the federal treasury without costing taxpayers a whole lot of money or contributing much to our debt. Add up all of the congressional races (about 450 per year, limited to $8 million for every major party senatorial candidate and an average of $1 million for every major party house candidate, since this also depends on district size), and the total cost is only about $555 million dollars per year, a paltry sum compared to the multi-trillion dollar budget.

So, assuming you haven't fallen asleep already, I'm sure you agree that this is a great plan. It's a dull read, but it's a simple, understandable, effective, and, most importantly, cheap. It also provides a more fair opportunity for funding, and keeps the filthy, greasy, fingers of those greedy corporate money-rapers out of our government and back on their willies as they masturbate to the quarterly earnings reports.

"This is my timey-wimey detector. It goes ding when there's stuff."

Wiggles67 is offline Coordinator

politics is not my thing. I wont get bent out of shape, mad, or even heated about govt. It is completely out of my control and seems like a different world. I value you everyone's opinion on politics and will never accuse anyone of being right or wrong...there's no such thing in politics

"I choose my company by the beating of their hearts, not the swelling of their heads"

Wiggles67 is offline Coordinator

"Turboe" wrote:
    "Wiggles67" wrote:
    The govt fails to adjust....change....evolve. They are still running these elections the same they have done over the past 20-30 years. Everything else is changing a lot quicker than this so why hasnt the govt changed. They are still using the same basic strurcture for running campaigns and getting their word out. Why not do something drastically different to try and truly win over the hearts of people instead of just relaying on if you vote democratic or republican. Product loyalty is getting less and less these days and the better is becoming more and more important so I have enough faith in the American people that if someone came along and ran for all the right reasons, followed through with what he said, and truly cared for the people of american and not how much money they were getting, what lobbyists they would be meeting with, or what corporations were sponsoring them that they would win the election in a landslide.

Okay, time for me to stop ranting!
    I agree and I think that is slowly happening with the erosion of the information monopoly that the mainstream press has had for years. In the past 20-30 years someone that did just what you said wouldnt stand a chance because they would be demogoged out of office.

We have a refreshing Governor here in SC that by and large ran on and has followed through on a no-nonsense approach. However, he is ripped daily in the media as being some kind of back woods hick for his niave views. I love him for it, but you better have a thick skin if you are going to do just that. He is cutting spending on bloated bugets.

My favorite story was when he first took office the first thing he did was cancel all these huge buget inaguration balls that have gone on for years. He had a Bar-B-Q on the capitol grounds and saved boat loads of money. Of course the media thought him a hick, and they all hated that they missed their huge free meal tickets that they had come to expect.

Then they were going to have to close the governors mansion for renovations (I think some esbestos remideation or radon or something). This was decided before he was elected and for the year the mansion was going to be out of comission the state was going to spend some inordinant ammount of money on renting a huge hosue in Columbia. When he took office he canceld that and said, "My family can go home to our real house for that time period, I dont need that much room myself," ANd he moved into the pool house on the mansion grounds for that time frame in fairly spartan conditions. Again saving the state tons of money, and he was ridiculed and parodied by the media agian for this.

So I too hope that happens, but it isnt an easy row to hoe if you are that kind of guy.

Watch SD Senator John Thune. In the perfect world you talk about he should be President I think someday. But it will probably never happen because SD is the electoral college equivalent of a speck of dust. All JT has done is follow up on promises that he made when running. In 1996, Thune was elected to South Dakota's seat in the United States House of Representatives. Thune supported term limits and promised to serve no more than three terms in the House. As a result, he stepped down and instead challenged Senator Tim Johnson, but lost to Johnson by 524 (disputed) votes or 0.15%. Though there were numerous "issues" with many of Johnson heavy areas votes, Thune did not put the state through the turmoil of a challenge, he instead conceded gracefullly and set his sights on Dashle. Thune ran for the Senate again two years later; on November 2, 2004, Thune defeated Senate Minority Leader Tom Daschle with 51% of the vote in the 2004 senatorial elections.

But again, I am afraid such a clean cut person who actually does what they say stands no chance in this sewage pit we call the US Government.
    that was so refreshing to read and I wish more of the politicians had this attitude. They are supposed to be servents of the people and yet they all live better than 90% of the people they are serving. I wish more of these politicians would be more realistic about what needs to be done. Kudos to this guy

"I choose my company by the beating of their hearts, not the swelling of their heads"

singersp is offline PPO Newshound

"shockzilla" wrote:

"If at first you don't succeed, parachuting is not for you"

shockzilla is offline PPO Ambassador
    Blog Entries

I am going to lock this thread. I guess I really didn't think of it as a political thing, but I can see it really is. I appreciate everyone's opinion, and we'll leave it at that.

Thanks, Singer!!!! :lol:
    PPO Ambassador, Defender of the Purple Faith and Guardian of the Gates of Valhalla

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12