Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Orca or Great White?

If they went head on, one on one with no help from each side, what sea creature would win, a killer whale or a great white shark? I would say a killer whale but after watching the discovery channel special on great white sharks it really gave me and idea of how deadly these things are.

MensaTice is offline Star Spokesman

Re: Orca or Great White?

In the movie "Orca: The Killer Whale" the Orca kills a shark (pretty sure a great white). Since everything in movies are true, I'm going with the orca. Also, according to this movie, an orca burns down an entire town.

[color=red]

ChiTownVike is offline Hall of Famer

:sign5:

I think it is still the offseason. Some guy comes in and asks who would win a great white and a orca.

LOL!!!! I am not laughin at you Tillman but it is just so funny!!!!

BTW, Orca all the way!

Thank you Josdin for the sig

Vikes_King is offline Jersey Retired

um..... two words

Free Willy

http://vikesking.blogspot.com/

"We’ll win our own Super Bowl, with our own players. Real Vikings. Something Brett Favre can never be."

- Dan Calabrese

http://www.cnn.com/EARTH/9710/08/whale.vs.shark/

I googled it and the orca won the only video taped battle. However, the orca was 20 feet long, and the shark only 10, so they were in different weight classes so it doesn't count. If they were the same size the great white would dominate.

Braddock is offline Hall of Famer

But orca's usually grow that large, and the question was, without exception, one on one, who would win. I say the orca takes him down in the 3rd.
    Trying to bring rationale to an irrational site

Now this thread has prompted me to ask myself who would win, a Pit Bull or a wolf one on one (same weight)

My thought is a fighting pit bull is more ferocious, has more powerfull jaws, and is stronger pound for pound. But a wolf is much quicker and smarter. Hmmm...

Caine is offline Jersey Retired

I'd lay money on the Orca...depending.

Full grown Orca (Male, 31 ft, @ 6 tons...female, 28 ft, @ 5 tons)
    versus
    full grown Great White (16-20 ft, @ 2 tons)

Orca wins...hands down. It's faster, bigger, and more maneuverable than the White shark (which primarily attacks from ambush in a straight line).

If you go on size alone, then you're looking at a lone young Orca (Which you'll never likely see) versus a full-grown Adult Shark. In THAT case, maybe the Shark wins.

Oddly enough, Orca's are NOT whales...they are actually the largest member of the oceanic dolphin family Delphinidae...more than you wanted to know, I'm guessing.

Either way, it has been documented that orcas will hunt Great Whites...but never the other way around unless the Orca was young and alone or hurt...and alone.

Caine

digital420 is offline Team Alumni

doens't anyone remember jaws?

wasn't it a killer whale they found on the beach with half it's side missing?

I agree that a normal G.W. shark will be smaller then an orca.. but that rare phreak of nature.. and the GW's feeding style of.. always eating would put me in the side of the shark.

for the realistic pound for pound it's df gotta go to the ORCA!!!

DiGiTaL

"We tried to stick with it, but there was a point where we were beating our head against a wall," Seattle Coach Mora talking about running at the Williams Wall

Zeus is offline Jersey Retired

"digital420" wrote:
    doesn't anyone remember jaws?
    "Quint" wrote:
    Japanese submarine slammed two torpedoes into our side, chief. It was comin' back, from the island of Tinian Delady, just delivered the bomb. The Hiroshima bomb. Eleven hundred men went into the water. Vessel went down in twelve minutes. Didn't see the first shark for about a half an hour. Tiger. Thirteen footer. You know, you know that when you're in the water, chief? You tell by lookin' from the dorsal to the tail.

Well, we didn't know. `Cause our bomb mission had been so secret, no distress signal had been sent. Huh huh. They didn't even list us overdue for a week.

Very first light, chief. The sharks come cruisin'. So we formed ourselves into tight groups. You know it's... kinda like `ol squares in battle like a, you see on a calendar, like the battle of Waterloo. And the idea was, the shark nearest man and then he'd start poundin' and hollerin' and screamin' and sometimes the shark would go away.

Sometimes he wouldn't go away.

Sometimes that shark, he looks right into you. Right into your eyes. You know the thing about a shark, he's got... lifeless eyes, black eyes, like a doll's eye. When he comes at ya, doesn't seem to be livin'. Until he bites ya and those black eyes roll over white. And then, ah then you hear that terrible high pitch screamin' and the ocean turns red and spite of all the poundin' and the hollerin' they all come in and rip you to pieces.

Y'know by the end of that first dawn, lost a hundred men! I don't know how many sharks, maybe a thousand! I don't know how many men, they averaged six an hour.

On Thursday mornin' chief, I bumped into a friend of mine, Herbie Robinson from Cleveland. Baseball player, bosom's mate. I thought he was asleep, reached over to wake him up. Bobbed up and down in the water, just like a kinda top. Up ended. Well... he'd been bitten in half below the waist.

Noon the fifth day, Mr. Hooper, a Lockheed Ventura saw us, he swung in low and he saw us. He'd a young pilot, a lot younger than Mr. Hooper, anyway he saw us and come in low. And three hours later a big fat PBY comes down and start to pick us up.

You know that was the time I was most frightened? Waitin' for my turn. I'll never put on a lifejacket again. So, eleven hundred men went in the water, three hundred and sixteen men come out, the sharks took the rest, June the 29, 1945.

Anyway, we delivered the bomb.
    The shark from Jaws would kick Orca's butt, I don't care how many villages it burned.

=Z=
    (Robert Shaw was in both movies, BTW)

Thanks to Josdin for the awesome sig!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast