Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Frostbite is offline Coach

Opossums under Hot Tub/Shed

Help! This is the third time since October I found these guys here. The last time it took me over an hour to pull one out (It was Hissing and puffing up) of the area it was housed in. Now I have 3 more present and I am concerned about them chewing on the 220 wiring under the Hot Tub. One of them is a big one that I can't quite reach with my noose poll. I could pull him by the tail I guess, but I'm reluctant to do so because I would have to get into very close proximity to accomplish this successfully, and there is no room to manuver under there if it gets out of my grip...and yea..they do have teeth.

I was wondering about waiting until 2-3 am and looking to see if they are out foraging (Since they are Nocturnal) and then blocking the holes they made to get under there, but they will probably dig new ones. These guys are hard to kill too. I have hit them over head with a shovel before and they laid there (Dead and Bleeding) while I went to get a gunny sack for the Carcass, only to find that while I was getting the sack they had run off.

Any Thoughts?? Could a baited live trap help in this situation? I am planning on moving the Hot Tub and Shed this summer onto a concrete slab so nothing can di under. Until then I am at a loss??

Thanks for your ideas folks.

Cheers!
    Where is Frostbite Falls Minnesota?

ThorSPL is offline Team Alumni

Re: Opossums under Hot Tub/Shed

They do sell .... dynamite... of sorts for varmint holes like that... you could looking into "gopher bombs"....

Trust me, I'm a doctor.

www.twitter.com/ThorSPL

cogitans is offline Jersey Retired

We don't have opossums here in Europe I think, but we do have Martens, which I think is fought in similar ways. At least there might be a chance that these advices could help.

Sound - loud sounds annoys them, so put a speakers next to the hot tub playing music fairly loud for some time to make them leave.

Smell - some smells can make them leave. paradichlorbenzen is one way, or simpler some oilsoacked cloth, could drive them off.

Thanks to PPE for the sig.

Prophet is offline Jersey Retired

http://www.aaanimalcontrol.com/professional-trapper/howtogetridofopossums.htm
    Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please. Mark Twain

Marrdro is offline Beware My Spreadsheet, Bitches!

Judging by your comment of a loop stick and a live trap I don't think you will like my options.

Suffice it to say, they will come back if you pull them out alive and don't re-located them a long ways away.
    Even if you do relocate them, you make them someone elses problem.

My solution........Lots of rat poison or a number 2 jump trap with a apple attached to the pan.
    Many many thanks to my talented friend Jos for the new Sig.http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v343/josdin00/Vikings/Marrdro_sig.jpg

singersp is offline PPO Newshound

I have heard Moutain Dew & the same fly spray they use for cattle mixed together will kill raccoons & possums. Just make sure there are no pets around that will lap up the concoction.

Also, try mixing plaster of paris with some food that they eat such as corn meal & give them plenty of water to drink.

If you can back your vehicle up to the hole, take a shop vac hose, stick the hose in it, block off the remainder of the hole & connect the other end yo your exhaust pipe & let the vehicle idle for awile.

If all else fails, hire this woman.........

"If at first you don't succeed, parachuting is not for you"

VikingMike is offline Jersey Retired

"Prophet" wrote:
    http://www.aaanimalcontrol.com/professional-trapper/howtogetridofopossums.htm

Frostbite, follow Prophet's suggestion. Get a pro to trap and release them elsewhere.

We had possums behind our garage and had to call in a guy to get rid of them. Nasty little bastards.

And be very careful...they carry rabies. And like you said, they're nocturnal, so if you ever see one in the daytime, stay away (see the previous point about the rabies).
    Any man who afflicts the human race with ideas must be prepared to see them misunderstood. - H.L. Mencken

Come from the land of the ice and snow...

6-KINGS is offline Asst. Coach

Use Gopher smoke bombs from the Feed Store.
    Then hit them with a sharp axe as they run out, kick them around some, impale on a stick and cook.

"VICTORY IS MINE!"

ultravikingfan is offline Administrator

One word for you:
    poison.

That's all you need to do.
    Let them chew the wire, maybe the site of seeing one of them zapped will scare the others.
    May want to turn on the hot tub though, max amps = max death.

VikingMike is offline Jersey Retired

"6-KINGS" wrote:
    Use Gopher smoke bombs from the Feed Store.
    Then hit them with a sharp axe as they run out, kick them around some, impale on a stick and cook.

ROTFLMAO!!!
    Any man who afflicts the human race with ideas must be prepared to see them misunderstood. - H.L. Mencken

Come from the land of the ice and snow...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast