Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 567
    PurplePackerEater is offline Ring of Fame

Re: Open for Discussion

"southern_yankee" wrote:
    "ultravikingfan" wrote:
    "PurplePeopleEaters" wrote:
    "webmaster" wrote:
    Depends, if you're a big enough a-hole I block complete access to the site....you see nothing, not even as a visitor.
    Quick question... Where did Cheer Up Vikes fans! go? That had to be a top ten thread. :downtown:
    It is in the Mod Forum. When I get a chance, I will "clean" it up and webby can then decide if he wants to give it back to you pervs! :lol: (me too)
    My 2 cents worth is that there really is no need for 'girlie pictures' on a football sight, but if you must have it, it'd be better if it was contained to a single topic. It does make me nervous that young children have access to it...and the slightly less than 'gentlemanly' talk that goes with it. I would guess that most of the older guys are talking smack, but young boys may not realize that.
    Reasonable post. I forget sometimes that I'm 30 and that there are younger posters out there as well.

Remember youngsters, the way you talk in front of your buddies will not get you the ladies. It's all fun and games till your girlfriend (or mom) hears it!

Prophet Guest

I also like the various forums and the ability to talk about a variety of topics. I have some experience helping run a website and here are a few ideas we have used in the past:

General Site Rules

I like the general site rules that are in place. There is plenty of room for discussion/arguments, but the 'attack' should be on the content, not the individual.

Tangent paragraph. The great thing about forums like this is there is always a diverse group of people ranging from people that have been on the board for years to people that have been on the board for minutes. The problem this always creates is that the old-timers consider the site 'home' and the newbies may just be stopping by or may be looking for a home....no one knows. This creates problems because people that have 'known' each other for years on the site may give each othershit because they understand their personality and it is all in fun. A new person has no way to distinguish the various relationships on the board other than assuming the relationships due to their post counts. There often isn't an easy solution to the inevitable disagreements on a site like this other than having everyone on the same page regarding the rules...a place where your children could stop by without being permanently messed up in their head, for example.

I agree that there should be plenty of admins/mods because that makes things run smoother. The existing admin/mods should have a secret ballet where they can vote in more mods. Everyone leads busy lives so if you have enough mods there will almost always be at least one online. This isn't condoning a mod. nazi mentality, just heading things off at the pass and making sure the discussions do not become personal attacks.

Dealing with Banning Members

If someone gets out of line the admins/mods first send a PM to the offender. If that didn't work we posted an example of their posts and their reply to our PM in a private forum that was only accessible to the admins/mods. The admins/mods would vote on whether or not to ban them. End of story. This method was explained in the rules, so it wasn't a surprise to anyone. This worked because we had 6 admins and at least that many mods representing a diverse cross section of the members on the site. We never had a situation where someone was banned and other members were surprised by the banning.

Smack Forum (not highly recommended, but potentially fun, especially for friends that know it's all in jest)

Anything that got heated would be transferred to the Smack Forum. This was a no-holds-barred forum where people could go crazy. This obviously had some drawbacks where people would enter and get the flesh ripped off their body if they weren't careful. The details of this section were laid out to participants so you could choose to not enter this section....if you did it could get ugly. Some people really liked this area because there were votes after the battle and the loser had to wear a ridiculous avatar for a week after the battle. Some had fun with this, some should never have entered the arena.

This Smack Forum section was the only section on the site where people could attack others with no recourse.

Those are just a few ideas we used. Take 'em or leave 'em.

VKG4LFE is offline Jersey Retired Tetris Champion, Monkey GO Happy 4 Champion

I wish people didn't take every typed word so d@mn seriously. I don't consider myself a confrontationalist (is that a word?) but I'll throw a jab every "blue moon." (had to throw in my Moss reference!) I guess if I think someone is taking a jab at me I either just laugh at it or type back some sarcastic remark. I know everyone can't be perfect...I mean be like me, but take it easy. Don't take things so seriously all the time!! That's all I got! Jerks!!

I get the most pissed off looks from people with my VKG 4 LFE Wisconsin license plate, and I LOVE IT!!

ultravikingfan is offline Administrator

"VKG4LFE" wrote:
    I wish people didn't take every typed word so d@mn seriously. I don't consider myself a confrontationalist (is that a word?) but I'll throw a jab every "blue moon." (had to throw in my Moss reference!) I guess if I think someone is taking a jab at me I either just laugh at it or type back some sarcastic remark. I know everyone can't be perfect...I mean be like me, but take it easy. Don't take things so seriously all the time!! That's all I got! Jerks!!
    Was that directed at me? Listen you **bleep**, **bleep**, **bleep**, **bleep**, your face, **bleep**, **bleep**!

Oh wait, we shouldn't take things seriously! :lol:

Another key for newer members...see this guy > :lol: :that means "Just Kidding". Oh the power of the "lol" smiley.

:wink:

Articnv is offline Coach

A few things that worked well on forums I moded for diablo 2, forumfor Everquest, and for Kinsg of Chaos. Kind a long but here goes:

A. have a flame forum. Have a warning on it. every thing goes but on the condition that what said in there is kept in there and no personal feelings directed. (helped alot and made peopelthat constand each other get to nowpeopel better and became friemnds)

B. Have the rules as part of the signup. Makea check mark to each rule and have them check it off. beorethey can continue to sign.

C. Restricted new users acess to postign for a few days so they can see how the forum works. Most forums are alot worse and troll filled then thsi forum is.

D. Poltics an religon rarly well with forum that si not a regious or poltical forum unless it dirlectly relates to a footbal... IE stadium issues.

E. Makign fun of each other and callign eachother names cause new peeps to see ythat how they can act they get made when they get burned down. - Dont make fun of peopel for posting ideas, or shotign downa idea right away. I dont postas much because i dont feelliek gettingin arguments witht he way i spell.

F. Dont fall for bait, rember its always the guy that retaliates that gts in toruble.

G. If people need topost pics and stuff that may notbe family orited have a adult section were qurestionabelpics andtopicscan eb discussed.

H. Baning. Have a 1 day, 3 day 1 month goenfor ever bannign system. Most rarly got past the 3 day ban. But obn the flipside have the ban dropoff after a year as soem peopel do make mistakes or will argue things in the heat of the moment and later relize they made a mistake

F. Allow bashing of trolls and paker fans if they start stuffas it relieves stress and is fun to see were ti allgoes.

G. Respect si earned not given. If peopelrespect other they will get the respect so think about what yourgoignto say before you say.

josdin00 is offline Ring of Fame

However, as a follow-up to Ultra's post, don't expect to get away with this:

Listen you motherfucker, what are you, some kind of shit-for-brains?! I can't believe that you think (name 1) is better than (name 2)! You obvously don't know shit about football, you fucking asshole! :grin:

josdin00 is offline Ring of Fame

Dumb censors take all the fun stuff out of my post.

Oh, and I don't think I agree with the posting restrictions on new members, at least for this forum. It seems most of the people signing up mention that they've been lurking for a while. I know I did before I signed up. Therefore, they probably already have some idea of the personalities on the board, and how things generally work.

AngloVike is offline Jersey Retired
    Blog Entries

One thing with this board is the mixture of people that it has acquired both in terms of ages and geography. Consequently there will be times were issues will flare up due to different interpretations of things or the way in which some people react. Usually people do get over this and we have seen people posting the day after such things and apologising for their behavoiur - the benefits of a nights sleep does wonders for making you reconsider what has gone on before.
    However there may be the odd instances where the need of banning someone may have to be held as an option in order to make them realise that their behaviour was out of line - maybe as suggested with a day, week or permanent ban scale being adopted.
    We all originally came here because of our common liking of the Vikes but, as we spend time here, its only natural that we would discuss other issues outside of football, so I don't see the problem in having the clubhouse forum so that other things can be discussed. What people need to remember is that there they are chatting with their friends - even though its online - and so they shouldn't say anything that they wouldn't in person.

One other thing to remember guys and gals is that we do have a mixed age group on here, so just be careful about what you post and say in the threads. I know that it should be down to kids parents to monitor where they hang out and that there are more adults here than children but that doesn't mean we can go at things full tilt as we might in a complete adult only enviroment.
    just my two pennyworth
    Time spent annoying a Packer fan is never time wasted...

VKG4LFE is offline Jersey Retired Tetris Champion, Monkey GO Happy 4 Champion

"ultravikingfan" wrote:
    "VKG4LFE" wrote:
    Was that directed at me? Listen you **bleep**, **bleep**, **bleep**, **bleep**, your face, **bleep**, **bleep**!

Oh wait, we shouldn't take things seriously! :lol:

Another key for newer members...see this guy > :lol: :that means "Just Kidding". Oh the power of the "lol" smiley.

:wink:

YES!! lol

I get the most pissed off looks from people with my VKG 4 LFE Wisconsin license plate, and I LOVE IT!!

Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 567