Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast
    Webby is offline Administrator
    Blog Entries

Open for Discussion

Let me pose a question to everyone, rather than just the mods.

We've built this site, everyone together as a large community. We are all like minded in general in our love for the Vikings. But this does not mean we all agree on every issue.

I wanted to keep this site open in terms of community, to allow discussion along the range of many topics.

I see this failing. I think I can skip explaining my issue here.

Do I need to be a board nazi and jam down people's throats only Vikings stuff, and delete all offtopic or potentially volitale topics?

That's not how I envision running things here. However, I can only keep the community open if and when you all help out. Learn to respect the other person's opinion. One person is not stupid for his thoughts; you know not how he/she arrived at his decision or his/her trials and tribulations in life.

This community was (which is why it grew leaps and bounds and you all ended here) and will be based upon mutual respect. If you don't give it, you risk even being here. This is my shot across the bow to the membership to start following my golden rule again. If you forgot, read the forum rules again before your next post.

Is that too hard to ask for? What am I missing? Can we do this? Your thoughts are welcome.

cajunvike is offline Jersey Retired

Re: Open for Discussion

How about a 10-day suspension for the first offense, a one-year suspension for the second offense and then a lifetime ban for the third?
    Oh wait, that is MLB's baseball steroid policy...and it probably won't work!

But seriously, you are correct...we shouldn't be engaging in namecalling (except for Packers, Packer fans and George W. Bush). I don't like to see when posters call each other names...they should at least be able to make their arguments without resorting to that. I, for one, don't want to see our discussions limited...as they serve to enliven the board on days that there is nothing about football going on. Posters need to be mindful that we are guests in Webby's (Internet) house...none of us would want the rest of us to come in and trash it...therefore, we need to be respectful and mind the rules. That shouldn't mean that we can't debate things...just that we need to do it civilly and with a modicum of decorum.

Thanks again Webby for giving us a forum (actually several) to share our thoughts with each other. I will try to be mindful of that when I engage in heated discussions with fellow members.
    BANNED OR DEAD...I'LL TAKE EITHER ONE

Del Rio Guest

I haven't been a member for as long as some of the guys here, so they would probably know best out of all of us.

From what I have seen in my time here is the site exploded. It got big. I read back towards the begining and it was slow going. Good quality ideas, a great close community but not the numbers. This place has gotten big. This offseason had to be the busiest the site has been since you opened it (for an offseason I mean.) So kudo's to you, that means this thing is getting respect to go from what it was to what it is. It took a lot of work I am sure.

So there are more people then ever, there is more hype then ever, and more anxious expectations for our team then ever. A WHOLE LOT has happened in the world and even just with our team. Red Gone, Moss Gone, Tice here :grin:, Culpepper stepping up his game. I think you need more mods, or you need to have a strict suspension policy.

I don't know that you can control a group of people this size with an honor policy, I mean you have people from all ages from all over the world trying to mesh their ideas. Plus we are talking football fans here, I mean this isn't Opera's Book club, this is testosterone filled rough housing.

All I can suggest is more mods, stricter suspension policy, or just the season to start to get our minds off the what if's and the problems in the world for a little while. I know a site that gives you a 1 day ban, a 3 day ban, a 3 month ban then a "don't ever come back ban" If they value the site they won't get a one day ban. If they do they rarely get the next step if they get the lifetime ban they weren't worth keeping around.

I'll do my part to be less of a jerk to fellow posters. Maybe if everyone tries to lead by example we can manage some peace.

VKG4LFE is offline Jersey Retired Tetris Champion, Monkey GO Happy 4 Champion

Do what you gotta do webby! This place is great and probably will be no matter what you do to screw it up... I mean to keep it clean and civil!!

I get the most pissed off looks from people with my VKG 4 LFE Wisconsin license plate, and I LOVE IT!!

mnjamie is offline Ring of Fame

"cajunvike" wrote:
    How about a 10-day suspension for the first offense, a one-year suspension for the second offense and then a lifetime ban for the third?
    Oh wait, that is MLB's baseball steroid policy...and it probably won't work!

But seriously, you are correct...we shouldn't be engaging in namecalling (except for Packers, Packer fans and George W. Bush). I don't like to see when posters call each other names...they should at least be able to make their arguments without resorting to that. I, for one, don't want to see our discussions limited...as they serve to enliven the board on days that there is nothing about football going on. Posters need to be mindful that we are guests in Webby's (Internet) house...none of us would want the rest of us to come in and trash it...therefore, we need to be respectful and mind the rules. That shouldn't mean that we can't debate things...just that we need to do it civilly and with a modicum of decorum.

Thanks again Webby for giving us a forum (actually several) to share our thoughts with each other. I will try to be mindful of that when I engage in heated discussions with fellow members.
    Agreed. Sometimes things get too heated with some members when it pertains to certain topics of discussion. I have tried to avoid discussions lately other than viking related issues. But, I do feel strongly that these issues should be discussed, being mindfull of each members personal opinions on the particular topic. Individual name calling needs to stop, but in-depth discussion on various topics is something I do enjoy. I think it will die down once the season starts and we can focus on the Vikes more.

canadian_vikes_fan is offline Hall of Famer

"webmaster" wrote:
    I wanted to keep this site open in terms of community, to allow discussion along the range of many topics.

I see this failing. I think I can skip explaining my issue here.

Do I need to be a board nazi and jam down people's throats only Vikings stuff, and delete all offtopic or potentially volitale topics?
    Personally, I really like talking about all sorts of topics on this board. I'm just scared of the political ones. I haven't ever joined any of those discussions because they always seem to end up getting really heated. That's because everyone has radically different views on this subject, and everyone is 100% positive that their view is the right one. Noone ever changes anyone else's mind anyways, so those threads seem useless to me IMO.

Thanks PPE for the sig.

PurplePackerEater is offline Ring of Fame

Y'all betta ack rite! :razz:

Point taken Webby. I haven't been PMed for a while...I feel quite good about that. :angel11:

Caine is offline Jersey Retired

Mutual respect is a tough one. Most of the posters here have it..on most topics...but not always. Even I slip up from time to time and "let fly". Not to the point where I worry about a "friendly reminder" usually, but to the point where I am uncomfortable with the direction a topic takes.

I've been a "board nazi"...it was a long time ago, and it wasn't very much fun. In the end, I wound up spending all of my time looking for the bad things. Once you get to that point, you stop enjoying the board, and start resenting the people who "cross the line". Plus, the board I had to over see wasn't anywhere near this size...I can't imagine doing that here.

I think the best policy is to simply ask - like you just did. Those of us who truly value this forum will have to monitor our responses a bit closer...the whole "lead by example" schtick. And, if someone starts to step over the line, we'll "gently" remind him/her that there are acceptable and unacceptable ways to discuss things.

Of course, I will assume that this applies to all non-football related topics, as I can't see holding back very much on an anti-Viking troll who deserves a good pounding. :twisted:

Caine

ShanePurpleBlood is offline Coordinator

I read the rules for the first time, and will do my best to abide by them. It is hard not to get caught up in the heat of arguments. I don't think I was part of them, but I don't want to be part of a future problem.

Another great sig by PPE!
    SKOL VIKINGS!!!
    Vikings #1
    Raiders #2
    Hawkeyes #1
    Longhorns #2

Webby is offline Administrator
    Blog Entries

Yeah, I think we need more mods too maybe. Things are big, and that's because everyone was cool with everyone....except when packers needed trashing.

That said, more mods means more nitpicking too. I am trying to find a delicate balance and I think that also means those in "leadership positions" need to help out a bit by example, but then again most do. Even mods have life changes that affect how often they can contribute and clean up. Some mods like Neumdog just watch. (slam!)

We do ban, and ban some people for a week, etc. Then let back. I hesitate to do that all that often, but maybe Del is right. Take a day break and then come back. Maybe we step that up.

Overall, the idea is that this is everyone's house, but thanks Cajun for offering it up as mine. Treat it as if it were yours. You guys always drive all the innovation and additions and fun around here...so the more time I have to babysit, the less resources I have to program, the less....

We had a political only forum for awhile...and it worked for awhile...but also at the cost of some real good members pissed off at others. So I trashed it. Cost/benefit analysis?

Life is life and we all want to discuss the events with our Viking bretheren...but we must remember the golden rule I think. Maybe I will revamp some of the rules, and get some feedback from you all?

Thanks for the suggestions so far. I await more feedback! More. MORE! SKOL!

Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast