Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Prophet is offline Jersey Retired

Re: Only 4 U.S. WWI Veterans Still Living

"singersp" wrote:
    "Prophet" wrote:
    "singersp" wrote:
    "Garland" wrote:
    I am confused by the tittle of the thread it says 4 but the article says 3. Did I miss one?

Its hard to belive that there are only 3 left. For something that does not seem like it was that long ago. But then whne you look at their age it puts it into perspective. wasn't there somebodyu a few months ago that died who was questioned if he was part of the Civil War or something.
    Couldn't have been the Civil War. The Civil War ended in 1865. That's 142 years ago. Even if he was 13 at the time of the war, he would have been 155 years old.
    There are still Civil War spouses alive.
    Many stole from the cradle after the war.
    I know one personally.
    You do realize, she'd have to be over 150 years old & she would be the oldest woman ever to live.

I don't believe you. How old is she?
    LMAO, I knew you would come after that one.
    I just wanted to get things going.

Seriously though, a prof that I work with has memoirs of one of her relatives who was married at ~13? after the civil war.
    She died a while back.
    It blew me away when she showed me the memoirs because sometimes I think that was so damn long ago.
    She knew the woman.
    Interesting.

I remember reading somewhere about all the WWII vets that die off each day too.
    I bring my kids to all the vet/memorial day events whenever possible to honor them and what they did for this country.
    One of the sad things, to me, is how few children there are at these events.
    Especially since they have no concept of time.....in their minds someone who is 25 yrs old is ancient.
    None of this happened very long ago.
    Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please. Mark Twain

cajunvike is offline Jersey Retired

"singersp" wrote:
    "Prophet" wrote:
    "singersp" wrote:
    "Garland" wrote:
    I am confused by the tittle of the thread it says 4 but the article says 3. Did I miss one?

Its hard to belive that there are only 3 left. For something that does not seem like it was that long ago. But then whne you look at their age it puts it into perspective. wasn't there somebodyu a few months ago that died who was questioned if he was part of the Civil War or something.
    Couldn't have been the Civil War. The Civil War ended in 1865. That's 142 years ago. Even if he was 13 at the time of the war, he would have been 155 years old.
    There are still Civil War spouses alive.
    Many stole from the cradle after the war.
    I know one personally.
    You do realize, she'd have to be over 150 years old & she would be the oldest woman ever to live.

I don't believe you. How old is she?
    They did a movie interviewing the oldest surviving Civil War widow...and it was made YEARS ago.
    NO WAY that she is still alive.
    BANNED OR DEAD...I'LL TAKE EITHER ONE

cajunvike is offline Jersey Retired

The SADDEST part is that as magnificent as the new WWII Memorial is, the WWI Memorial has languished and is literally falling apart.
    My wife and I visited it for a geology class project that she had in school (she had to analyze the stone that it was made of and report on how it had aged...badly, I must say).
    But it is really sad that the US government has let the monument go by the wayside.
    It is set in between the new WWII monument and the Korean conflict one, on the same side of the Reflecting Pool as as the Korean memorial.
    The US government should at least restore the existing one, or better yet, expand it and link it to the other two that are on either side of it.
    Then across the reflecting pool, they should erect a new monument to those whose lives have been sacrificed during Desert Storm and the current Iraq war.
    BANNED OR DEAD...I'LL TAKE EITHER ONE

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12