Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Online Degrees

oaklandzoo24 is offline Star Spokesman

Online Degrees

So, I am a student at PITT but with the economy, my lack of income, and the sole fact that I hate being in debt towards anyone whether that be my parents (who probably cant really afford to have me there anyway) or the gov't, I am considering furthering my education through an online program such as Kaplan University.
    I will miss the party life that comes with living on campus, but I will still be able to visit many of my friends at other colleges so that is not too big of a deterrent.

I was wondering if anyone on here has gotten a degree online, what the value of it is (compared to actually attending a school), and if any of you are employers, do you have any preference when it comes to hiring a student from an online program or an established university.
    Any input is greatly appreciated.
    "There are 3 things that sell in America:
    Violence, sex, and drugs.
    The only way you are going to make this game more appealing to the public than it was before is if there are on field orgies at halftime and the domes become massive opium dens."

[img width=450 height=55]http://img216.imageshac

Mr. Purple is offline Ring of Fame

Re: Online Degrees

I actually have looked into kaplan myself. The whole college exprience is EXPENSIVE, let me say that again EXPENSIVE! I went to an Art University in Tampa and left after the first semester with a 15,000 debt. I regret that school after all the hell they gave me. (Thats another story)

So im thinking about joining an online campus myself. I was gonna choose a AA in Private Security. They have a lot of interesting degrees at Kaplan.

Theres NOTHING greater then a Florida Gator!
    "I promise everyone this. When Childress is let go in two years I can honestly say this.
    "I am not surprised"."-PurplePackerEater

gregair13 is offline Jersey Retired

Print your own: http://www.certificatecreator.com/

Also, this: http://blogs.discovermagazine.com/badastronomy/2009/03/20/creationist-heh-master-of-science-haha-degree-hahahahaha/
    We're bringing purple back.

Not to be a dick or anything, (and coming from me this is pretty hypocritical I know), but can we keep this thread kinda serious.
    I am really looking for some valid input here.
    Some guidance.

This is honestly the most serious thing I have ever posted on PPO.
    The only way you are going to make this game more appealing to the public than it was before is if there are on field orgies at halftime and the domes become massive opium dens."

Garland Greene is offline Jersey Retired

"oaklandzoo24" wrote:
    So, I am a student at PITT but with the economy, my lack of income, and the sole fact that I hate being in debt towards anyone whether that be my parents (who probably cant really afford to have me there anyway) or the gov't, I am considering furthering my education through an online program such as Kaplan University.
    I will miss the party life that comes with living on campus, but I will still be able to visit many of my friends at other colleges so that is not too big of a deterrent.

I was wondering if anyone on here has gotten a degree online, what the value of it is (compared to actually attending a school), and if any of you are employers, do you have any preference when it comes to hiring a student from an online program or an established university.
    Any input is greatly appreciated.
    Alot of words for advise especially since I work as a Academic Advisor for a 2 year school and see alot of the exact same thing.

If you are looking at saving money then you are probably looking at not doing a online university. You are actually looking at more money. Kaplan has a good program but they are expensive.
    Capella also has a good program but they to are expensive. The other thing that you need to look at is what their Accreditation is. All schools have to be accredited. But what type fo accreditation is way different, especially if yo want to transfer.
    For example in this area your State run Schools ie U of MN, U of WI, along with your major Private schools Hamline, St. Johns, St. Thomas are North Central Accredited. They are Regional Accreditation. Pitt also has a regional accreditation, as well as the other State Schools in that area. You have to check as teh country is divided up by regions. But I think you get the idea. Be careful of any school that does alot of advertising on TV, Why because they are a for profit school. In other words their admissions reps are basically salesman. Not all of them are bad schools, but they are for profit in other words they are in the business to make money, and will tell you anything to get you in the door, because the reps have daily and weekly goals.
    They offer alot of "get your education quick", but the degree is sometimes not worth the paper they are printed on. And I also know that there are some businesses that will not even consider graduates from certain schools.

There are also things to consider as far as what you are looking to major in? Look at a 2 year school. There are many degrees that can be from a 2 year school where graduates are starting out in the mid 40's. There is also students that will earn their 2 year degree, start working and then be eligible for tuition reimbursement, from their employer, to earn a 4 year degree.
    Also ask what 2 year schools have transfer agreements. IN other words can I get my 2 year degree and then transfer that right into a 4 year degree?

Finally most of your 2 year schools, and even your 4 year schools are making it easy for people to earn their degrees online or even at night. Mostly because, of the economy. It is harder and harder for people to just quit their job to go to school. Mos colleges will offer degrees completely online or completely at night/weekends even though they have a actual campus. The other advantage is that you are paying a heck of alot cheaper for a degree, that is just as good or in some cases better than from a private for profit
    school. There is way to much info I can write down for you, But I am going to send you a PM with my contact info at work, any information that I can give you I will be more than happy to give, or anyone else for that matter.

gregair13 is offline Jersey Retired

I know. Here is some real info:

I am at college right now, taking classes, so I don't know what its like to take a degree online, but I have talked to a bunch of people. If your main concern is cost, I really have no idea. But you can take night classes or by corespondent so you can still work a full time job to pay for it. I am sure you could still live on campus and be able to take classes without actually attending them so you can work. My college has tons of part time student degrees which is really helpful for those people who may have not gone right into post secondary from high school because life hit them in the face with a baby.

It seems like costs are your main concern. I have no idea what you are trying to do with a degree, so I can't really answer. Talk to an adviser at school. They are actually really helpful.
    We're bringing purple back.

Thanks alot for all your help Garland.
    Just your post right there has helped me out alot more than my advisors on campus at PITT even do.
    Thanks for taking the time to give me some insight though, its greatly appreciated.

Garland Greene is offline Jersey Retired

"oaklandzoo24" wrote:
    Just your post right there has helped me out alot more than my advisors on campus at PITT even do.
    Thanks for taking the time to give me some insight though, its greatly appreciated.
    At a big School it is hard to have advisors meet the needs of all of the students. Which is unfortunate becasue to many get lost in the shuffle.

Mr Anderson is offline Jersey Retired

"Garland" wrote:
    "oaklandzoo24" wrote:
    At a big School it is hard to have advisors meet the needs of all of the students. Which is unfortunate becasue to many get lost in the shuffle.
    You couldn't be more right.

The advisors here at Rutgers are useless.

jmcdon00 is offline Jersey Retired Snake Champion, Moto Trial Fest 2: Mountain Pack Champion, LL City Truck 2 Champion, Arithmetic sequence Champion, Troops Tower Defense Champion

If you want to get laid go to college.
    If you want an education go to the library.
    I think you should focus on what you can learn, not so much on what it will look like on a job resume. It may be harder to get in the door at a company but once your in you will likely be judged based on the work you do, not what school you went to.
    I do have a co-worker(who has 3 kids) that is earning a degree online(not sure which one, pheonix?), she seems to be getting a good education, and still working. I didn't think it was a good idea, thinking you couldn't learn as much, but I now think it could be better. She is constantly e-mail, instant messaging, teachers and students and works very closely with them. I think it probably does require a little more self motivation because it would be easier to cheat, I think.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast