SharperImage is offline Hall of Famer

The Ole Bait N Switch Jobs

I am currently looking to leave my job, and move higher into management. I decided to post my resume on Careerbuilder.com, Indeed.com and monster.com.. First of all i got a TON of offers.. Unfortunately all of them were straight commission insurance companies looking for some dumbass to go knock door to door selling life insurance etc.. They have even got to the point of posting jobs like "General Manager in Training" Ive been on 4 job interviews! Took off from work and everything only to be bait and switched on.. Hard sold on accepting a job that realistically is going to pay me 30k LESS than what I make a year for a "Chance to earn 100k in commission!!!" I hate jobs that pay straight commission and sell a dream or tell you that is realistic to make 60k-100k a year if you hard, but in reality you'll be lucky to scratch 30k selling your soul for it. I thought we were in a bad economy, why are employers cold calling people to come sell their products off of straight commission? Why not just offer a good salary base PLUS commission!

Purple Floyd is offline Jersey Retired
    Blog Entries
    Because they can.

jmcdon00 is offline Jersey Retired Snake Champion, Moto Trial Fest 2: Mountain Pack Champion, LL City Truck 2 Champion, Arithmetic sequence Champion, Troops Tower Defense Champion
    Quote Originally Posted by SharperImage View Post
    I am currently looking to leave my job, and move higher into management. I decided to post my resume on Careerbuilder.com, Indeed.com and monster.com.. First of all i got a TON of offers.. Unfortunately all of them were straight commission insurance companies looking for some dumbass to go knock door to door selling life insurance etc.. They have even got to the point of posting jobs like "General Manager in Training" Ive been on 4 job interviews! Took off from work and everything only to be bait and switched on.. Hard sold on accepting a job that realistically is going to pay me 30k LESS than what I make a year for a "Chance to earn 100k in commission!!!" I hate jobs that pay straight commission and sell a dream or tell you that is realistic to make 60k-100k a year if you hard, but in reality you'll be lucky to scratch 30k selling your soul for it. I thought we were in a bad economy, why are employers cold calling people to come sell their products off of straight commission? Why not just offer a good salary base PLUS commission!
    Your right to be wary, it's pretty much a scam/ pyramid scheme. My fiance almost fell into this trap right out of college, before I convinced her not to.
    I think they have been popular during the recession because people are desperate for a job.

An Employment Scam in the Financial Services Industry > HOME
    Last edited by jmcdon00; 10-11-2012 at 11:37 PM.

singersp is offline PPO Newshound
    What type of work do you do currently?

"If at first you don't succeed, parachuting is not for you"

SharperImage is offline Hall of Famer
    Quote Originally Posted by singersp View Post
    What type of work do you do currently?

I'm a sales manager at Mercedes Benz USA. I make around 70k. Im looking to move into district management or general management. I have a wealth of sales experience and knowledge. It seems companies only want to hire commission slaves instead of great managers.

Traveling_Vike is offline Coordinator
    I've seen this one may times as well. I'm coming at it from the Customer Service end of things, rather than sales, but it's still the same con job. They advertise that they are looking for CSRs but then when you get to the interview, it's like, "Yes, well, what we really want you to do is drive around town on your own gas and try to sell people insurance that they don't need at the time when they can least afford it." I don't even have a car right now, so I ended up wasting a whole day on one of these, busing across town and back.

Fortunately, this last one I talked to turned out to be different. It's still kinda-sorta sales, but what I'm actually doing is enrolling folks in Medicare Part D Drug plans. It's an inbound call center position, no cold calls, so I can handle it, plus it's something that people really do need, so it sells itself.

Wish me luck... annual enrollment period starts Monday the 15th. We're already projecting over 10,000 calls on the first day, with only about 60 of us to handle them.

But keep up hope... I'm sure there are legit places out there who could use someone of your caliber. You just need to find them. Good luck!

My Meeple is purple. What color is yours?

HEY
    HEY is offline Star Spokesman
    Blog Entries
    work in Norway lol That's were the greatest salaries are.... plus plenty of job opportunities.