Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234
    vikingivan is offline Star Spokesman

Re: official teacher thread

Hi Pastor John, do you know Pastor Tim Martenson?

cogitans is offline Jersey Retired

"COJOMAY" wrote:
    You want to talk about underpaid professions -- look at Pastors!
    In my church (Lutheran) we need a four year college degree then a 4 year Theology degree plus one year of vicarage (practice) for a job that starts at about $25,000. And I know very few pastors that make more than $50 in their lifetime with more than 25 years of experience. And for me and most pastors in my synod, there is mandatory continuing education at my own expense.
    That doesn't seem fair.

I just realized that we share beliefs. Even if we have sometimes disagreed on our beliefs pastor.

Thanks to PPE for the sig.

COJOMAY is offline Jersey Retired

Don't know him. I live in Kentucky.
    It's interesting that I serve both a LCMS and ELCA churches. I am only one of two pastors in the country that do that.
    Kentucky Vikes Fan

When you require nothing, you get nothing; when you expect nothing, you will find nothing; when you embrace nothing, all you will have is nothing.

NodakPaul is offline Jersey Retired
    Blog Entries

"COJOMAY" wrote:
    It's interesting that I serve both a LCMS and ELCA churches. I am only one of two pastors in the country that do that.
    That is actually amazing considering their differences.
    A couple of years ago my wife and I were the delegates to our synod assembly and had the honor of meeting Bishop Hanson.
    An amazing public speaker, and genuinely kind person.
    When he became president of the LWF, he was asked if he could foresee the LCMS and ELCA working closer together in the future and he joked that he was looking forward to the second coming first... ;D

By the way, in case people didn't know, Bishop Hanson, the presiding Bishop of the ELCA and president of the Lutheran World Federation (so pretty much the Lutheran equivalent to the Pope) was born and raised in Minnesota and is a Vikings fan.
    He told me so himself.
    Zeus wrote:
    When are you going to realize that picking out the 20 bad throws this year and ignoring the 300 good ones does not make your point?

=Z=

Billy Boy is offline Hall of Famer

"NodakPaul" wrote:
    "COJOMAY" wrote:
    That is actually amazing considering their differences.
    A couple of years ago my wife and I were the delegates to our synod assembly and had the honor of meeting Bishop Hanson.
    An amazing public speaker, and genuinely kind person.
    When he became president of the LWF, he was asked if he could foresee the LCMS and ELCA working closer together in the future and he joked that he was looking forward to the second coming first... ;D

By the way, in case people didn't know, Bishop Hanson, the presiding Bishop of the ELCA and president of the Lutheran World Federation (so pretty much the Lutheran equivalent to the Pope) was born and raised in Minnesota and is a Vikings fan.
    He told me so himself.
    Thats awesome about Bishop Hanson, I wonder if he DVRs the games.

I was actually just gonna ask this before Nodaks post...

COJO - How do you reconcile the differences?

(and now this is no longer the teacher thread
    ;D)

All the kids my age pee their pants, it's the coolest.

ItalianStallion is offline Jersey Retired

Pastors by definition are dedicated to a life of service, not profit.

That's like saying:
    You know who's really underpaid?
    Volunteers...

I m like a Ja Rule poster, cause I'm off the wall.

Billy Boy is offline Hall of Famer

Here ill get us back on track.

All the kids my age pee their pants, it's the coolest.

COJOMAY is offline Jersey Retired

COJO - How do you reconcile the differences?
    I don't! In Kentucky there aren't that many Lutherans and so we stick together. Even though there are differences, we seem to be able to ignore them and do our "own thing."
    It's been working for me for seven years.
    Kentucky Vikes Fan

When you require nothing, you get nothing; when you expect nothing, you will find nothing; when you embrace nothing, all you will have is nothing.

NodakPaul is offline Jersey Retired
    Blog Entries

"Billy" wrote:
    Here ill get us back on track.

I wouldn't have skipped so much school if my teachers looked like that.

As far as teacher's being overpaid or over qualified, I would have to disagree.
    There is a lot more to teaching than just reading out of a book or teaching kids their ABCs.
    Group dynamics, learning to connect with the kids, teaching styles, recognizing learning issues, understanding the psychology of learning, developing effective learning plans, etc.
    I have a lot of respect for teachers, and think that they should be paid better than they are.

Italian, you are using your personal experience to rate the global effectiveness of teachers, when in reality you don't truly know how effective they are as a profession, or even how effective the same teachers were on other kids.
    Just because you did well in school with out their help doesn't mean that every body could.

Aren't you going to school to be a pharm?
    Saying that you could teach better than your old teachers is like me saying that I could fill a bottle with pills just as well as any old pharmacist.
    In truth, we both know that there is a lot more to being a pharm, or a teacher, then just what one specific person experiences as a customer.
    Zeus wrote:
    When are you going to realize that picking out the 20 bad throws this year and ignoring the 300 good ones does not make your point?

=Z=

ColoradoVike is offline Pro-Bowler

back to the tenure issue....

I remember the term "tenure" being used when I was a student in the St. Paul school district. With google's help, sure enough, I found some information about teacher tenure in Minnesota: http://www.educationminnesota.org/index.cfm?PAGE_ID=4055

The tenure issue varies by district, but as it is mentioned in the above cited link, merit-based tenure review is the standard in a few of the larger school districts in Minnesota.

Folks can peruse that site to learn how a person can lose tenure - it's not ironclad and some acts of misconduct can cause one to lose tenure in a district. And in most cases, tenure means you are recognized as a peer and full practitioner of the profession. I imagine, but don't know, that raises are tied to merit and so any teacher who performs poorly may see poor pay and crap teaching assignments (where it's hard to make a positive impact because of student behavior issues).

As for the 9 month gig, I think it's more and more a 10 month gig. School years are getting longer and the job is getting more stressful/challenging (with NCLB your fate depends to a large part on your peers). Many teachers spend summer months upgrading their knowledge and improving their skills.
    I don't know that they get paid for this (I suspect not). And then, the summer remains the best time for curriculum redesign.

Don't knock teachers because they have two months off, it's not really their choice. State laws determine the length of the school year cause all learners need (and deserve) a break.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234